NGD - 1990 ASAT Classic Signature

Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:43 am

The actual NGD was last week, but it's been hard to put this one down long enough to take pictures:

I found this one lingering at an unreasonably low price, so I had to take the plunge. There were some dings and quite a bit of buckle rash on the back, but they seem to be honest playing wear rather than abuse or a fake "relic" attempt. It wasn't love at first sight, but after a good fretboard cleaning and a string change I knew this was definitely a keeper. I still need to fine-tune the setup.

The felt washers are missing from the strap buttons, but otherwise everything appears to be stock. The strap buttons are not the type most commonly used on G&Ls, but these did show up on pre-BBE instruments at times. I have the same type on my '81 L-2KE and '91 ASAT Signature Bass, so they were definitely in the factory at both ends of the Leo-era. A few other features typical of the early ASAT Classics are the white crinkle pick guard, white switch tip, steel saddles and "by Leo Fender" stamp on the bridge.

I'm not sure about this guitar's origins. It's serial number is not in Dale's log. The neck and body dates are from January 1990 (ignoring the second body stamp, which would have been on the Saturday between Christmas and New Years). Those dates are among the lowest for an ASAT Classic or ASAT Classic Sig in the Registry. All I know about its past is that it had ended up in the Nashville area. It also appears to have been played hard, but pretty well taken care of.

I've owned two ASAT Classics from later in the '90s. Tone-wise, this one is an entirely different beast. I'd say it's much closer to a Telecaster than the newer ASAT Classics. I haven't done any A/B testing yet, but the bridge pup is probably brighter than any of my other G&Ls. The neck pup is very full, and both are quite loud. It actually took a bit of getting used to.

Ken

Re: NGD - 1990 ASAT Classic Signature

Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:56 am

looks great Ken , you have a knack for finding sweet Leo era guitars

Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:53 pm

Nice score, Ken! I saw that listing too and the price was great. I was sorely tempted, and emailed the store with questions but didn't hear back. Glad that someone here got it. Did the fretboard clean up? Does it have much fret wear?

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Hey Ken,

Nice snag, I saw that one too and was tempted because of my addiction to ASAT's!

Glad you got it, play on :alright:

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Nice score Ken! It'll be in good hands now. :D

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Great score Ken, your guitar room going to be big enough? -- Darwin

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:41 pm

One word: drool :-)

Congrats Ken! Impecable taste you have!

-Jos

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:57 am

That is a nice one!

y2kc

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 am

Very nice Ken. I am loving that piece of wood. Lots of character.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Nice find! Looks to be in real good shape for a 1/4 Century old guitar!

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:50 am

She's a beauty! Is that an OLS body?
A

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:20 am

Nice find Ken,
Those white coated guards are way cool.Added shielding and I bet the capacitance takes out
some of the ice-pick highs.
Have you changed the strings? Is there any good reason some are sitting out of the saddle grooves?
I'm guessing someone avoided a set-up by raising the action unconventionally :shh:

I'll be the second to ask...is there room on your wall?

elwood

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:12 am

Have you changed the strings? Is there any good reason some are sitting out of the saddle grooves?

Good eye Elwood! -- Darwin