SC-3 at Guitar Center

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:08 pm

This seems to be a very fine example of a SC-3. If I had the money now this guitar would be on its way to me...(unless there's some charitable person here who would sponsor me)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/GL/SC-3-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Re: SC-3 at Guitar Center

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:19 pm

I came close on this one, but backed away at the last minute. Detailed photos make it appear to be stock, but probably in need of a bit of cleaning up. There are also some dings on the body.

I think it is either very, very late Leo-era, or possibly from around the transition to BBE. It has the typical Leo-era veneer fretboard, and looked to me like it may have S-500 pups instead of the normal Skyhawk pups.

I think somebody is going to be happy with this one. Hopefully it will go to a G&L fan, and not somebody looking for a cheap platform for modding...

Ken

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:25 pm

if it was a saddle lock I would buy it right now , great deal

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:38 pm

I actually really like that it had the MFD's and the DF tremolo. I'm wondering the controls would be volume and tone right? I called the GC and they confirmed that it's dinged pretty bad, but that doesn't concern me. As far as the body wood do you think they were alder since the solid finish? I prefer alder to swamp ash. Mahogany would be the best option. Like I said, having the cash now it would be mine for sure...

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:06 pm

I had it's doppleganger , so easy to play...and great quack !!

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:08 pm

dinged pretty bad means you can take it out and play it :)

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:dinged pretty bad means you can take it out and play it :)

Yeah that doesn't concern me at all. From what I've found on the web it should be a 3rd generation of SC-3. Btw, I'm trying to find the serial numbers database. This one should be G027394. Also tried to PM KenC but my message is stuck in the Outbox.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:37 pm

I just replied. Messages stay in the outbox until they've been read. My reasons for passing on it had to do with my collecting goals (for example, limiting the collection to Leo-era instruments and not buying a fourth white guitar).

I picked up an '87 SC-3 last month, and just haven't gotten around to taking pictures for a thread yet. It's that sweet - I can't get close enough to take pictures, without playing it instead. These are very under-appreciated guitars, and the volume-tone circuit doesn't lack anything compared to a PTB circuit or typical Strat controls (you'll never hear an ASAT III owner talking about adding a third knob!). If you have one of these and feel the need for more adjustablility, just start looking at boost pedals.

Ken

Edited to fix a typo.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks Ken, now I know how it works with the PM's. I'm seriously intrigued by the SC-3 after doing a bit of research so I'll be on the look out for sure if this one ends up being sold before I'll get the money. I can totally understand you not wanting to have a fourth white one and the fact that it is most likely post Leo era. Btw were the Skyhawk pickups a lot different compared to MFD's?

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Tomas83 wrote:Thanks Ken, now I know how it works with the PM's. I'm seriously intrigued by the SC-3 after doing a bit of research so I'll be on the look out for sure if this one ends up being sold before I'll get the money. I can totally understand you not wanting to have a fourth white one and the fact that it is most likely post Leo era. Btw were the Skyhawk pickups a lot different compared to MFD's?

See these posts in the G&L Knowledgebase: S-500 single coil size pickups on early 80's model and List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks Craig, that sure helps.

Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:41 pm

I have owned a couple of SC-3's. Great guitars. I really love them. Not sure why I dont own one right now. But now that I think about it I think I will start looking for one this winter. They are usually priced fairly low. It makes them a great deal. Big bang for the buck. The body is really comfortable.