Vintage SC knob replacement

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Does anyone know where I could purchase a matched (or, as close as possible) replacement knob for the vintage SC model guitars? I have searched, but not found any with the black rim, silver disc, and line marker. Thanks, in advance.

Re: Vintage SC knob replacement

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:25 am

I've tried several times to find replacements, without any success. I've seen a single knob that was parted off an old G&L listed on eBay in the past couple of years.

You might be able to find something kind of close by checking electronic parts suppliers, but the ones I've seen had huge minimum orders. Having one fabricated locally could also be a possibility.

Ken

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 pm

I've seen a few that are close, but are made for a "D" shaft.
I'll post some links as I find them .
Try Delco as a search term ...I know there's a box of late 70's early 80's NOS knobs hiding somewhere :searching:

If you try some of these...you have to report back:

Acoustic amp knobs

These are some I thought might have a similar vibe, though obviously not quite there:

Mopar radio knob

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:03 am

It is a style knob that is offered by a few different manufacturers, kinda like chickenhead and pointer knobs. Look up knobs in the business and industrial/electronic test equipment section of eBay.

The originals were manufactured by Kurz Kasch, the same folks that made the Jazz Bass/Jaguar/Mustang knobs. They were made in Dayton Ohio. That branch of the company closed a few years ago.

Leo must have really liked the look of those. He initially used them on Music Man Sting Ray guitars and basses. They switched to the "diamond knurl" knobs in December 1976 with some "radio knobs" still being used into January 1977.