Looking for Info about this SC-2

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Hello All,

Does anyone know if certain colors of certain models are more unique than others? I have a 1980's SC-2 that I would like to sell. I have been searching collector's sites and other sites, such as ebay, trying to establish a fair asking price. While I've seen similar models, I have not yet seen one that is white, like mine.

I have been trying to post a photo, but can't seem to figure out how (doh!). In the meantime, I would appreciate any input!

Re: Looking for Info about this SC-2

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:47 pm

I have seen the 80s SC-2s in white, black, red and blue, but I am not sure how common each one is. (I am sure someone else here can provide more insight..) There weren't many made though, so I imagine they are all relatively rare. Also, I am not sure about the asking price, although I have seen them for sale in the $700-$1000 range, depending on condition. Does yours have the vibrato or fixed bridge? What condition is it in? Does it include the original case? Was it modified? These would all be factors in determining the price. Good luck!

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 pm

cho wrote:I have seen the 80s SC-2s in white, black, red and blue, but I am not sure how common each one is. (I am sure someone else here can provide more insight..) There weren't many made though, so I imagine they are all relatively rare. Also, I am not sure about the asking price, although I have seen them for sale in the $700-$1000 range, depending on condition. Does yours have the vibrato or fixed bridge? What condition is it in? Does it include the original case? Was it modified? These would all be factors in determining the price. Good luck!

please post the serial
number.
Regards
HLG

Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Holly S wrote:Hello All,

Does anyone know if certain colors of certain models are more unique than others? I have a 1980's SC-2 that I would like to sell. I have been searching collector's sites and other sites, such as ebay, trying to establish a fair asking price. While I've seen similar models, I have not yet seen one that is white, like mine.

I have been trying to post a photo, but can't seem to figure out how (doh!). In the meantime, I would appreciate any input!

For posting photos, see: Welcome! Read This First (Forum rules).

Here's somes posts with information:
Vintage SC-2 resources?.
what's my guitar worth.

Hope this helps.

PS. Please add your SC-2 to our G&L Registry, too.

:ugeek:

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Holly,

You've definitely found the right place to sell an early SC-2!

As Cho mentioned, Red, White, Blue and Black were the standard colors. In my experience, all of those colors show up equally on the market. There were also some Sunburst SC-2s, which seem to be the rarest. I've come across three in the past five years. Blue ones might be slightly less common too, but I'd guess that's a matter of owners not wanting to let them go as often as the others (see my avatar for an example of a Blue SC-3).

One thing to keep in mind with White G&Ls from the '89s is that the vast majority aren't exactly white anymore, so you are likely to see them described with words like cream, butter, off-white or even yellow. Here are a couple of examples:

The first is my '82 SC-2. The color in the photo just about matches real life. The second is my '86 Skyhawk and my '00 cat. The colors in this photo are right on the mark. You can tell how yellow the 'Hawk is compared to the cat!

Fair asking price will mainly depend on the guitar's condition and whether it has the original case. The SC-2 was made with two different body styles, with the earlier ones (shaped like mine in the photo above) being more highly valued. Overall, I would agree with Cho's assessment of the price range. You can find them listed for a bit more, but above $1000 they tend to sit on the market forever. At $700, an SC-2 in clean, original condition and with the original case should go very quickly.

I mention the original case, since these guitars had fairly uncommon dimensions and don't fit well in most other cases.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss particulars of your guitar and how they might impact pricing.

Ken

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks everyone for all of the input & info. I will try to get photos up this weekend and will register it on this site as well!

Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Okay, so I loaded the photos of my G&L on to Photobucket, but still can't seem to link them to this forum. Obviously, I'm not super tech-savvy. Anyone have some pointers?
Last edited by Holly S on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Holly S wrote:Okay, so I loaded the photos of my G&L on to Photobucket, but still can't seem to link them to this forum. Obviously, I'm not super tech-savvy - anyone have some pointers?

See: Tutorial: Posting photos. It includes the steps to post photos hosted on photobucket or other photo hosting services.

Hope this helps.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:59 pm

Phew, figured it out! Sometimes it pays to be stubborn....

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... ikl8ta.jpg

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz19 ... ehiqqi.jpg

Thanks for your help, Craig. And thanks for looking!

Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:34 am

I put your picture urls between img tags to view them inline.
That's a sweet SC-2 !! :luv:

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:42 am

Elwood wrote:That's a sweet SC-2 !! :luv:

+1 Great looking guitar!

- Jos

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi Holly, I sent you a pm, I'm interested in your SC-2 (depending on the price).
Thanks

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:07 am

art wrote:Hi Holly, I sent you a pm, I'm interested in your SC-2 (depending on the price).
Thanks

art,

Please contact Holly via PM or Email directly, instead of posting it here.

Thanks.