THE GREATEST G&L TOUR EVER

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:00 pm

This youtube video is 40 minuets long. Shot by Band of Susans in June of 1989. Hosted by The Late Dale Hyatt. Grab some popcorn and learn how they did it.
Its a MUST SEE for any pre bbe lover.
Dale was much more than a salesman! Its been two and a half years since his passing and I still miss him like day one.
Thanks for everything Dale.

HLG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxtK-utV8Y

Re: THE GREATEST G&L TOUR EVER

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:05 pm

HLG wrote:This youtube video is 40 minuets long. Shot by Band of Susans in June of 1989. Hosted by The Late Dale Hyatt. Grab some popcorn and learn how they did it.
Its a MUST SEE for any pre bbe lover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxtK-utV8Y

Here's the video inline;

phpBB [video]

:ugeek:

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks for sharing, Larry.
This is the video I've always wanted to see - the one and only Dale Hyatt giving a shop tour.
I'll watch this one again and again. Just wish the cameraman was paying attention that day.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:32 pm

verybestal wrote:Thanks for sharing, Larry.
This is the video I've always wanted to see - the one and only Dale Hyatt giving a shop tour.
I'll watch this one again and again. Just wish the cameraman was paying attention that day.

+1 !!
I was wondering when it would surface.
Thanks Larry

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:10 pm

Straight up - indeed. Thanks for posting this HLG - very much appreciated!

Awesome to see how things were done + Dale's simply uber cool. What a guy.

Cheers!

KF

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:05 am

I also want to thank you for the post. A real gem ! Makes me appreciate my old asat even more.

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Thank you for posting that. It is AMAZING to me to see their attention to detail. Between that, the processes, and the custom made tooling, it seems a similar precursor to Bill Colling's engineering and detail. Loved seeing those finished guitars (e.g., Comanche) in the display room, and I'm QUITE curious about that doubleneck guitar/bass body hanging on a factory wall. Did that ever get made?

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Great vid indeed. And some amazing prototypes in Dale's office as well as the body of a bass/guitar double neck that was on eBay a while back.

Cool stuff!

- Jos

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:14 pm

tomanche wrote:....and I'm QUITE curious about that doubleneck guitar/bass body hanging on a factory wall. Did that ever get made?

How curious ?

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Ah, that's right. NOW I remember!

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:02 pm

tomanche wrote:I'm QUITE curious about that doubleneck guitar/bass body hanging on a factory wall. Did that ever get made?

I saw this doubleneck guitar for sale recently (at least it looked like the same guitar). The asking price was $17K at first, and then dropped to $14K. I'm not sure if it sold or not. Pretty cool looking, although I think I would prefer to have the bass on top. If you google "g&l double neck" and click on Images, you will see some pictures of the built guitar.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks a million for sharing this !!!

Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Simply fantastic......................I had no idea something like this was around. thanks again.

Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Elwood wrote:
tomanche wrote:....and I'm QUITE curious about that doubleneck guitar/bass body hanging on a factory wall. Did that ever get made?

How curious ?

I realized it cannot be the same instrument as shown by the fleaBay link. The doubleneck body showing up at the 13:40 time mark would have the controls on a control plate whereas the one in the auction has rear-mounted controls. In addition, it was built in 1984, 5 years prior to making this video.

Was/is there a second one? Or is it still a body connected to building that 1984 doubleneck (G031938 if I read it right from the tape on one of the heels; see pictures in auction)? Is it just there for show?

- Jos

Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Good eye Jos,

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Apologies for the zombie thread. My flame maple ASAT got me thinking about the incredibly grained swamp ash ASAT III body that Dale Hyatt picks up at 6:15-7:00 in the video and instructs the worker to stain in natural and make it a Signature series. Does anyone know of, has anyone ever seen the finished guitar, or know the whereabouts of this figured ASAT III Signature in natural gloss?

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:16 am

WOW, this brings back the memories! 'Ol Dale! In the video @ 24:45 mark, that was my work station after Brian Left in late 1990. Good group of people worked there. Thanks for the memories!