Need Info About This Guitar

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm a bass player by trade so I don't know much about guitars per say. G&L basses are relatively well respected but people don't go nuts for them. I thought I'd ask the pros to find out if the guitars are more desirable.
My father owned a 1991 G&L ASAT Classic that has been collecting dust in my closet for almost 10 years. I can't find a guitar similar to this on Ebay (current or past sales) to help me determine what exactly it is, or what it might be worth.
What stands out the most about it is that it is a pre-BBE G&L, has a stamp of AUG-1-1991 on the neck and has a printed "Leo Fender" signature on the body. (See Pics below.) That seems to make this one special, but I don't know how special.
Could someone please drop some knowledge on me about this guitar and what it might be worth?

Re: Need Info About This Guitar

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi,

First, thanks for the pix. Nice looking guitar.

Second, the "signature" is silk screened. It's not "real", by which I mean it's not hand signed.

That said, you have an ASAT Classic, with MFD pups. If you like the Tele sound, you will like this guitar. It similar, but different. Hard to explain.

For people who know G&L, this is a guitar that most of us would like to add to our collection. How ever, it's not a 1952 Tele either.

As to it's worth, Ebay would be a good place to look and find out.

Last, please add the guitar to the registry.

Take care,

edg

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:47 pm

guitar_ed wrote:Hi,

First, thanks for the pix. Nice looking guitar.

Second, the "signature" is silk screened. It's not "real", by which I mean it's not hand signed.

That said, you have an ASAT Classic, with MFD pups. If you like the Tele sound, you will like this guitar. It similar, but different. Hard to explain.

For people who know G&L, this is a guitar that most of us would like to add to our collection. How ever, it's not a 1952 Tele either.

As to it's worth, Ebay would be a good place to look and find out.

Last, please add the guitar to the registry.

Take care,

edg

Thanks for the info.
If what I'm reading on the internet is right this may be a "Signature series" or "Commemorative" model released to coincide with Leo's death earlier in the same year. Does that look/sound right?

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:24 pm

it's a Signature Series ASAT Classic ...... sweet guitar , ....pre BBE but after Leo's departure , from what I see on ebay 1100.00 to 1500.00 depending on condition . Jos will have a better asnwer

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 pm

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: ASAT Classic Signature - Leo Fender: Production and Advice.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: