G&L sound clips.....

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 am

I have created four sound clips. Three of them are G&L's with one interloper. All recordings are approx 20 seconds . All guitars were run through the same rig with the same settings for each. I am curious to know if people can identify different pickups. Test your listening prowess !

Re: G&L sound clips.....

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:27 pm

I can't tell which is which, but this a great thing you did, love it. For my ears, my favourite was #2, then #3, then #1 then last #4

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Thank you for participating Alf , we will see if some more people chime in before I give the answers.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:00 pm

glvourot wrote:I have created four sound clips. Three of them are G&L's with one interloper. All recordings are approx 20 seconds . All guitars were run through the same rig with the same settings for each. I am curious to know if people can identify different pickups. Test your listening prowess !

Guessing...
A- Legacy
B- ASAT
C- Z coils?/ humbucker
D- Tele

Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:54 am

With some tweaking, I can probably achieve all of those on the ASAT Special so I am not sure which pick-ups they are. However, I am in agreement with Alf. My fave is #2, least fave #4 and 1 and 3 are a toss-up. Least fave is a relative term, of course. It's not bad.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:23 am

Fianoman, I agree that you could tweek an ASAT special to get most of those tones. Awesome guitars those specials... No special in there though ( technically ) :D

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:20 am

I agree with Alf, and I don't have enough experience with G&L pickups outside my own Fallout. I think I agree with his ranking in terms of favor as well. I'd like to know about the rig details too.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:48 am

is there any SD's in there ??... or what are our choices ?? ..... like mentioned you can get these sounds from a few different pups

my bet is 4th clip is a Legacy based on the volume drop , alnico single coils volume is less than MFD's or the Duncan's out of my mix

I like the first clip best

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:02 pm

glvourot wrote: No special in there though ( technically ) :D

:think: hmmmm..... must be jumbo MFDs in an SC-2 then. My other baseless guess is an ASAT or ASAT classic. :lol:

Still not sure who the odd man out in #4 is tho....

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Good, getting some more action. I was worried that the forum was getting too quiet. Ok , one answer and hint time. Two of the examples are bridge pick ups while one is bridge and middle ( BIG hint there ). Number four was supposed to be bridge as well but I actually had it on the neck pickup . The north-south toggle on Gibson's mess me up ( as opposed to my G&L's ) So number four is the neck pick up of my 61 RI SG which is a 57 classic humbucker. Fumble was on to something although he did think it was a legacy.... Thanks for the replies so far and lets see if can nail at least one of them. A little bit of reverb and a little bit of chorus are in there as well. Trying to get that simple tone.

P.S. Almost forgot. There is indeed an SC-2 . But which one ?
P.P.S. And an ASAT too. Again which one ? You guys are good....

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:06 am

Cool post - I like #1 and #3 the best. I'd say #1 is the bridge pu of the your '86 ASAT. The #2 is the middle position of same. The #3 is the bridge pu of an SC-2.

The added F/X sound nice but it would be interesting to just hear a straight clean sound version… Nice playing btw - killer classic Skynyrd tune.

Cheers,
KF

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:00 am

Well done Katefan ! Number one is my 86 ASAT and number three is my SC-2 . My favorite of the bunch is the ASAT clip. I'm not great at describing tone but to me it seems smooth and silky. I feel very fortunate to own that guitar. One left to figure out. What is behind door number two ? Good point about the effects, I should have done a clean as well, although the effects are subtle. I was trying to get an approximate tone match for the song however.