Pickguards - Leo Era...

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 pm

According to the seller of this1989 ASAT currently on eBay (with the #4 neck) it has a plastic p/g rather than a black crinkle metal one…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-G-L-ASAT-guitar-/141711110286?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

So it seems I have confirmation of what I initially believed... that the black plastic pick guard that was on Char, my main ASAT was in fact stock. Gabe and others deemed it not to be original and fair enough b/c as a general rule 1989-1990 ASATs came with either black crinkle or powder white aluminium guards. However, event tho the guitar was in a fire, everything else on it was stock so made sense to me that the guard would be as well…

Still, it was more than a bit perplexing as the p/g was single ply but not shiny and soft plastic like the kind found on some late 80's ASAT III but a hard and brittle kind of plastic which had more a dark grey colour which resembled the colour of a black crinkle alum guard. And since it had been melted by the heat of fire that made things all the more difficult to suss out. Anyway, this along the single ply black (non crinkle) alum pick guard on Sam's latest acquisition and the shiny black plastic kind on Learner's ASAT Iii shows there were a few exceptions to the rule. I saw a listing for a '90 ASAT Sig on San Diego CL a couple of years ago that appeared to have this same type of black plastic faux crinkle guard but I couldn't confirm it with the seller.

Here's a photo of what Char look the day I got her -

Here's the shiny black soft plastic I was referring too… I believe this was a non factory G&L p/g but was made by Chandler who made p/gs for G&L around the same time period - the underside tho is matte much like what's found on Broadcasters and early ASATs.

You can see this same kind of plastic on Learner's ASAT III in the Gallery section under learner asat3….

Anyway - just thought I'd post this info to try generate some Leo-era instrument activity… its been a bit quiet around this parts lately...

Cheers,
KF
Last edited by Katefan on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Pickguards of the Leo Era...

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Here's a shot of another 'probably stock' 80's ASAT pg.

A late '86, so pretty close to Char.
It's not glossy, just shiny from wear and polish.I'm guessing it's stock,though modded.
I've yet to see if penetrating oil will help loosen the screws to see what's underneath, that might hold a clue.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:47 am

Cheers Elwood,
Ah, yeah the possible wood sprout phenomena thang… that guard look much thicker than what came on Broadcasters and early ASATs….

Hey, what's that next to the screw next to the 21st fret /dot marker - looks like its glue or ???

Cheers,
KF

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:59 am

Katefan wrote: … that guard look much thicker than what came on Broadcasters and early ASATs….

Maybe, in that shot the edge shadow might make it look thicker than it is.
Here's a definitely stock pg on my '86 for comparison-

Katefan wrote: Hey, what's that next to the screw next to the 21st fret /dot marker - looks like its glue or ???

I think it must just be dust, catching the light.

Re: Pickguards - Leo Era...

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Word - they look very similar….

Keep us posted on getting them screws out…

Cheers,
KF

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:38 am

My question is, why would a company outsource plastic pickguards when they have everything they need to make them in house? They even had a plastic vendor (Leathertone). They had beveling bits from the Music Man days. Chandler and the brand they were before Chandler (Paul C's) were the most popular aftermarket pickguard of the time with WD running second. My guess is if someone was going to ditch a metal guard (I used to remove them all the time as people didn't like how they felt, or thought it impacted tone), Chandler is most likely the brand they would use.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:15 am

Elwood wrote:Here's a shot of another 'probably stock' 80's ASAT pg.

A late '86, so pretty close to Char.
It's not glossy, just shiny from wear and polish.I'm guessing it's stock,though modded.
I've yet to see if penetrating oil will help loosen the screws to see what's underneath, that might hold a clue.

Man, sometime sit takes a while before the coin drops. All Broadcasters have single ply black plastic pickguards as do many of the "poor man's Broadcasters" released after May 1986. Dale planned to have the production of the Broadcaster cease after about 1,500 were produced. There must have been some supply of these pickguards laying around afterwards which could lead to ASATs with them being produced long after.

- Jos

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:34 am

yowhatsshakin wrote: Dale planned to have the production of the Broadcaster cease after about 1,500 were produced.

- Jos

That would explain why they ordered 2000 Broadcaster decals. Those type C's were a PITA. Figure 500 or so to allow screw ups, fixing screwed up headstock finishes, etc and it makes sense.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:34 pm

My May 86 ASAT has that same plastic pickguard that Jos talks of.