Help with a sticky nitro neck

Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:53 pm

hey guys,
So I was given the advice of sanding/steel working the nitro finish off the back of a 1986 ASAT and applying tru-oil. There are a few places where the finish has worn through. The finish is super tacky on the back though and it is stuck with fuzz from the case.

I do not want to modify this naturally relic'd Classic. But I do want it to be playable. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Help with a sticky nitro neck

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:59 pm

If it's not tooo sticky, rubbing with paper from a brown lunch bag can help to
get rid of surface oddities. Then maybe a generous application of virtuoso polish.

Wet sanding with 1600 grit would be my next step.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Yeah, agreed. Steel wool IMO doesn't do much esp in the case of other things have been previously applied…. One of my 86 ASAT's had a very tacky feeling neck and I'm pretty sure someone did the steel wool and oil thing… my Mel Tillis 86 ASAT either had the nitro finish worn off from playing or had it partially wet sanded. It's smooth as and is uber comfortable. Here's a pic -

On an unrelated note - check out that Rad Wall Drug sticker…

Cheers,
KF

Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Wall drug, not even once.

But seriously thanks guys 1600 grit it is and I will try the paper bag trick as well. I am still dealing with two clumps of fuzz in the nitro but I think I will try some naphtha on it. I did pick up some virtuoso polish tonight as well.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:50 am

Naphtha got the fuzz out :banana:
Still a bit sticky after the paper bag and virtuoso. Going to try the 1500 grit later this week. Thanks for the advice.