NG(s)D... G200 and Broadcaster!!

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:48 pm

As a G&L 'newbie', I have become totally smitten with G&L guitars. I am an older guy, and try not to think of the decades I have missed enjoying them.
Regardless, here are my first two 'Pre-BBE' acquistions. The G200 (G009646) that I purchased from fellow GbL member verybestal, who had in turn acquired it from 'HLG'. And the Broadcaster (BC00659) I found at Gruhn Guitars....it is in Exceptionally Fine condition...a true beauty.
I did find one interesting piece of ironic trivia related to the Broadcaster. I noticed on the case (see pic), that it had apparently begun its retail life at 'McCord Music' in Dallas, Texas. For fun, I googled it. I learned from the book "Fender: The Sound Heard Round the World", that McCord Music was founded in 1947 by J. Fred McCord...at the prompting and cajoling by Fender's first travelling salesman Charlie Hayes who needed a dealer in the Southwest. McCord Music eventually became the most important Fender dealer in the Southwest...it also acted as a Fender warehousing function, shipping guitars out to other new Fender dealerships.
I found it only appropriate and ironic that this G&L Broadcaster should start its journey from one of the first dealers to launch Leo's line of guitars!!

Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Re: NG(s)D... G200 and Broadcaster!!

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Beautiful guitars and what a way to get started with G&L guitars.

Thanks for the history as well, very cool. :happy0065:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Gorgeous guitars Colonel! Thanks for posting. How do they play? Do you notice the scale difference with the G-200? Does the G-200 have an ebony fretboard? Congrats!

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:35 pm

sam wrote:Beautiful guitars and what a way to get started with G&L guitars.

Thanks for the history as well, very cool. :happy0065:

Thanks for the kind words, Sam!! I am really enjoying them!!

--Steve

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:40 pm

cho wrote:Gorgeous guitars Colonel! Thanks for posting. How do they play? Do you notice the scale difference with the G-200? Does the G-200 have an ebony fretboard? Congrats!

Hey, Cho!! I have not had a chance to play the BC yet...it arrived yesterday, and had been acclimating until today when I unpacked and only had time to photograph and post. The G200 is magnificent...the tonal possibilities seem endless! It is an ebony board. Having owned/played a lot of Les Paul's and Strat/Teles, I finally learned to transition back and forth easily between the two different scale lengths. So, until you mentioned it, I actually forgot about that aspect.

Thanks, again...

--Steve