Nighthawk on it's way!

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Hey,

I have been looking for a Nighthawk for years that fit my requirements and finally found one. Clean,one owner and at a great price. Some things were meant to be.

For a guy with more than his share of pre-bbe G&l's, it is hard for me to get excited about a new guitar. Actually at my age it's hard to get excited about anything. It is seriously uncool getting old.

I won't get it untill late next week at the earliest so don't hold your breath for a tone report. I will let you know what I think when it arrives. My Sc-3 is my daily player and hopefully this Nighthawk will garner

the same attention. This Sc-3 continues to impress me.

Any Nighthawk owners out there?

Have a happy safe weekend,

y2kc

Re: Nighthawk on it's way!

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Great news! :happy0065:

Those Nighthawks are cool guitars will look for pics and report. Getting old? Isn't that everyone else. :confused0007:

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:49 pm

I have a Skyhawk, but that is close as I get...

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Congrats Casey!

Did you get the one that was out on Reverb for a while? If not, that one looks good too. I got GGJaguar's Nighthawk a year or so ago and I love it. Not only do these guitars have a lot of sonic mojo, with the nitro topcoat and all, they have some real vintage vibe to them too. A fired of mine was offered a Skyhawk built just after the name change and playing my Nighthawk put him over the hump. He brought his new acquisition in a couple of days later for a set-up. Great guitars.

I will be curious how you perceive the differences with your SC-3. The pups are the supposed to be the same so depending on which version of the SC-3 you have, it is all in the body shape and/or contours, or lack thereof, for that matter.

- Jos
P.S. Yes, mine exists:
ImageImage

And in addition, one of the main differences with an S-500 of the same era is the position of the pickups:
The one on top is from my S-500, aligned on the bridge pup. You notice the angle is quite different as well as the spacing between them. I just realized I never did the same experiment comparing the position of the pups with those on my SC-3s. Something to do tomorrow ;-)

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:23 am

Hey Casey - Congrats! Very Cool.

IMO, time is an illusion so one doesn't have to get old… Speaking of illusion - you state 'this SC-3…' Don't know what you're talkin' bout bro - I aint see no pic(s)…
C'mon,you know the rules!

Cheers,
KF

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Hey ,

I stumbled on this Nighthawk a while back and because of shipping issues I did not pursue it. The guy was not comfortable shipping the guitar but has since found a box that a vintage dashboard came in so we are good to go. He is restoring a vintage chevy or whatever and the box happens to fit. I have been buying old G&L's since 1991 and I have heard it all. This is not the Nighthawk that is on Reverb.

The sc-3 I have been playing is a first body style and it is wonderful. I have it tuned down a half step and strung with 10-52 gauge strings. I play through a 15 watt 1955 RCA intercom converted into a guitar head. That leads to a custom built 2-12 cabinet with a Mesa Black Widow and an Celestion. This combo lets me do what I want and is an interesting looking piece of Americana.

I will try to post a picture of the sc-3,
y2kc

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:25 pm

Congratulations from a G&L 'newbie'....and fellow 'oldster' (68 years young). Yes, getting older is interesting, but I try not to let it slow me down ... too much!! Love the 'Nighthawk'!!

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:42 pm

y2kc wrote:Any Nighthawk owners out there?

Hi Casey,

Congrats on the Nighthawk. I own one. I was faced with selling a guitar or bass to make room for a Gibson ES-120T last month. Owning the Nighthawk as well as an '86 Skyhawk, '82 S-500 and the SC-3 in my avatar, I decided it made sense to let an S-type go. I put the Nighthawk up in the Marketplace, but after giving it one last playing session I had to pull the ad. I just couldn't sell it. I ended up selling a PRS bass instead and am happy about the change of heart.

Ken

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Ok the Nighthawk is now on its way. Both me and the seller are old men who are not in a hurry so this may be taking longer than your last transaction. He has never sent a guitar in the mail so I had him do a dry run to fed x
just to see about things as simple as a proper shipping box. He wanted to ship it in a box he had that a dashboard for a 1970's Chevy came in. Apparently the fed x guy sold him a proper "guitar Box" and we are good to go.

Ok it's not really on its way quite that fast. My check has been mailed but it will have to clear and then it will be shipped.

I have recently purchased a new camera and will take some pictures when it arrives.

Have you ever received a guitar in a box that once held a vintage automobile part? No I didn't think so.

y2kc

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Vintage is as vintage does :)

edg

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:40 am

I have a couple of Nighthawks......one in mahogany with clear finish and one in ash also clear finish with blackface headstock.
Skyhawk

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:36 pm

y2kc wrote:
Have you ever received a guitar in a box that once held a vintage automobile part? No I didn't think so.

y2kc

As long as it's packed well, a box is a box. Since I work at a Chevrolet dealership, I snag every box I can find that will fit a guitar case.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:41 am

Sprinter,

I think snag is the key word in this case. The fed x guy felt his package would catch on something during shipping. I agree that a box is a box but the fed x man couldn't resist the chance to make an extra $20. Oh well what you going to do?

y2kc