G&L SC-3

Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:23 pm

hey team

i bought this.

https://instagram.com/p/3xraaSg8Zb/?tak ... .o.francis

i love it to bits. its a blast to play, makes the hendrix thumb playable for me, holds tune, sounds bright and sexy.
i think it has some aftermarket pickups but i don't know much about that.

is it one of the early eighties ones? seems to be from my research.

g000773 is the serial on the bridge.

what do you guys think?

Re: G&L SC-3

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:00 am

Hi Basilbrush,

Welcome and mic SC-3 ya got there. :banana:

You can get an idea of manufacture year in the knowledge base section, but based on the low serial number it would be a flashback from the 80's. Do you know what the bridge pup was replaced with?

I used to have that "sleep with my guitar" syndrome, but my wife didn't seem to go for it :lol:

Post more pics and tell us about how she sounds.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:53 am

Welcome! Your SC-3 is from '82 or '83, based on the body shape (just like the one in my avatar). It's hard to be sure from the photo, but I think the two single coil pickups may be original. If so, they have the white covers which were very unusual. The humbucker looks like it might be an MFD from an F-100 or G-200. Any chance of seeing a closer shot of the pickups?

Ken

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:51 pm

thanks team!

i got the serial number wrong. its G007773.

here is a close up of the pick ups

https://instagram.com/p/4gA0Nsg8aQ/?tak ... .o.francis

Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:48 am

It looks like the neck and middle are original MFD's ( with the cool white covers ),
and a G&L F-100 pickup.
I had an old SC-3 that someone modded with a bucker at the bridge. That guitar was a great , and could mimic a LP.
How's the bridge pickup sound?
Here your pic inline:

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:27 am

Sweet guitar. I love the pickup combo. Just had one built with the same configuration...

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Elwood wrote:It looks like the neck and middle are original MFD's ( with the cool white covers ),
and a G&L F-100 pickup.

Yep. The F-100 pup installation looks very clean. It makes me curious about the logbook entry...

Ken