Help me price a bass?

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Okay. Imagine a mid-80s Lynx body with an early-80s SB-2 maple neck. Body was red, repainted black, a bit of red showing through. Good overall shape. What's this old mongrel worth?

Re: Help me price a bass?

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 pm

I remember Gabe commenting on the resale value of such mutts being what
you could get for the parts if sold separate .
...I'll say 350 - 400 maybe with a case.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Gabe would know. Thank you!

Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:49 am

Agree… But, how does it play & sound? Some mutts have heaps of mojo in these arenas and that is a different kind of value which in my book trumps price every time…

My .02.

Cheers,
KF

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:17 pm

As mongrels go, a Lynx/SB-2 mash-up isn't too bad. After all, a Lynx was really just an early '80s SB-2 with body contours and the possibility of a combination other than maple/maple.

Are you sure it is a Lynx body, or could it be an SB-2 that had the body contoured before it was refinished?

If it is a good player and comes with an OHSC, I would say $500 or slightly higher would be reasonable. Since the bodies were quite narrow compared to most other 34" scale basses, these models tend to slide around in any aftermarket case I've tried.

I've said many times that my Lynx is one of the most comfortable G&L basses I own (the other being an Interceptor). If you are looking for a player rather than a collector's item, I'd say to go for it if it's reasonably priced.

Ken

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:40 pm

I just picked up a similarly aged SB-2. One comment: I found the pups to be very bright on the at string. Black tape strings really helped.

edg

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:47 am

More info. Body from October 1982, pre-Lynx. But it has the Lynx body contours AND the Lynx wiring scheme. No date on the neck but it's got the SB-2 headstock and logo. It's like someone sent their SB-2 back to be refinished and Lynx-ified. If I get up the courage I'll try to make a nick in the black to see if there's red under the black where the contours are. That would be weird. I expect it will be bs bare wood where the contours cut through the red. What does the "2" in the circle mean? Can you ID the body wood?

https://flic.kr/p/usByGi

Neck does have "114" stamped into it.

https://flic.kr/p/ut4aAT

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:23 pm

Howdy ASATNoah,

ASATNoah wrote:If I get up the courage I'll try to make a nick in the black to see if there's red under the black where the contours are.

You already can see some red under black in the pic pf the neck pocket you provided at different places. Another place you might scrape some paint away with relative impunity is in the pickup cavities. Or by taking off the strap buttons.

ASATNoah wrote:What does the "2" in the circle mean? Can you ID the body wood?

That stamp is associated with the craftsperson that did the work, not the type of neck or anything. The body wood looks like ash. Th Lynx supposedly came in a choice of woods: maple, ash, and poplar.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks, Jos! That's good to know about the neck. As for the color, it's clear there was red under there, but I wanted to see if the contours were cut later, when the neck was added, and if so I'd expect the wood at the contours to have lost their red covering. Does that sound right?