What is Roy Clark playing here?

Tue May 12, 2015 4:34 pm

[youtube]-RuMnzSpvlg[/youtube]

In an undated interview with Vintage Guitar, Roy says near the end,

...two Leo Fender signature model G&Ls...

but doesn't name the models.

Ken...

Re: What is Roy playing here?

Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Sure looks a lot like my 86 ASAT. His looks like a natural finish, mine is one of the many blondes.

Re: What is Roy playing here?

Tue May 12, 2015 6:39 pm

glvourot wrote:Sure looks a lot like my 86 ASAT. His looks like a natural finish, mine is one of the many blondes.

I concur, given the string tree, or bracket as the case may be, and truss rod nut on this one.

- Jos

Re: What is Roy Clark playing here?

Tue May 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Hmm...

So just a plain ol' ASAT. I was expected something special. Ah well. The guy does know how to make it go.

Thanks!

Ken...

Tue May 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Yep - pretty much but somewhat of transitional model as it looks like it has the black crinkle finish p/g circa '88 but retains earlier appointments such as the "String tree" & the Serif 'ASAT by Leo Fender' logo. Like this one I have residing in Seattle -

My guess this is why Mr. Clark refers to them as Leo Fender Signature models…
My .02.

Cheers,
KF

Wed May 13, 2015 11:51 am

Regardless of what guitar Roy is playing, that clip is awesome!
Roy is one of the most under appreciated guitarists IMO (at least in some circles).
He is so much more than just a country picker. Check out his work with Clarence Gatemouth Brown if you haven't already.

Wed May 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Roy and Glen are awesome there. Super loose and having fun. Two guitar nuts for sure.

y2kc

p.s. the Heritage Roy Clark model is a killer. That guy plays my favorite guitars.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 pm

While this is a bit of a zombie thread, i can say that at least one of Roy's G&L guitars was an ASAT Classic Signature. I own it. The other I'm not sure about.
ImageImage