[request] pic of rustic heavy relic

Mon May 04, 2015 8:08 am

i haven't been able to find a pic of a heavy relic'd G&L.

anybody have one?

thanks.

Re: [request] pic of rustic heavy relic

Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 am

skydigger wrote:i haven't been able to find a pic of a heavy relic'd G&L.

anybody have one?

thanks.

Here's some photos from G&L's main website:

ASAT Classic Rustic:

Shown in Nitrocellulose Lacquer Butterscotch Blonde over Swamp Ash
1-ply Black pickguard, Maple neck with Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gun-Oil Gloss finish

Shown in Nitrocellulose Lacquer Fullerton Red over Alder
3-ply Creme pickguard, Maple neck with Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gun-Oil Gloss finish

Legacy Rustic:

Shown in Aged Nitrocellulose Lacquer Lake Placid Blue with Tortoise Shell pickguard
Rosewood fingerboard with Aged Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gun-Oil Gloss neck finish

Shown in Aged Nitrocellulose Lacquer Blonde with Tortoise Shell pickguard
Maple fingerboard with Aged Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gun-Oil Gloss neck finish

L-2000 Rustic:

Shown in Nitrocellulose Lacquer 3-Tone Sunburst over Swamp Ash
Rosewood fingerboard with Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gun-Oil Gloss neck finish

Here's some I found which were posted on G&L's facebook page:

Josh started aging the nitro finish on this Fullerton Red ASAT Classic Rustic.

Josh is building an ASAT Classic Rustic in Butterscotch Blonde.

Here's an ASAT Classic Rustic in Butterscotch Blonde. Nitro body and neck, aged by our foreman Josh. Looks and feels like a well loved old ASAT.

Another rustic worn-in and ready to go. -Josh

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon May 04, 2015 8:01 pm

thanks but i don't think that any of those are "heavy" relic'd. i'm curious what a heavy relic'd G&L looks like.

Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 pm

skydigger wrote:thanks but i don't think that any of those are "heavy" relic'd. i'm curious what a heavy relic'd G&L looks like.

You won't find a "heavy" relic'd Rustic model out of the factory. If you want to see some naturally relic'd G&L's, search the photos posted here on the G&LDP
and you should be able to find some. Here's one I quickly found: Mel Tillis Signed ASAT....

:ugeek:

Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Check out the SB-2 in This thread

...and this one seems to have been used as coffee table at some time :roll:

Tue May 05, 2015 2:44 am

Here's another ASAT that's been played heaps….

Not the original finish - original was blonde but must have been refin'd early on. I posted pics of this one not long ago and fellow member HLG helped me suss out its original finish.

Here's Char my burnt '90 ASAT - naturally 'relic'd from surviving a fire….

And here's an '84 SC-3 that I picked up here in NZ… the body's been stripped and refin'd but the neck retains the original nitro finish -

Not many folks outside the Leo-era G&L camp know that Leo & Co were still shooting Nitro finishes through the mid 80's. Our own Fred Finisher worked at G&L in the finish booth in the early days of G&L… besides 80's vintage Fender reissues and perhaps some 70's Japanese copies no one back in the day was using nitro… While there are other factors that contribute to a guitar finish fading and ageing, having a nitro cellulose finish is pretty much the key factor…
I suss'd it late in the game about the time I joined this board back round 2000… playing some early F-100's in pawnshops tuned me in… worn nitro finishes on the neck, weather checking on the body, nickel plated 'Kluson style" Schaller tuners… and the Leo factor - tight as neck joints and superb attention to detail… Pre-CBS Fender appointments at a fraction of the cost… sure, they're not Strats, Teles, Jazzmasters, etc… but they were manufacturered/produced by the same 'players'… Heck, Dale & George even traced an 50's Esquire body on plywood as a starting point for the Broadcaster/ASAT body…. Can't get much more Old School Fender than that…. Blows my mind that these early G&L's aren't fetching big $… but I ain't complaining…

Here's McCready of Pearl Jam going on bout some of his vintage finds…

[youtube]lkhSj5CqfOk[/youtube]

Dude needs to get hep to the REAL ones - LOL..

Finally - as a nod to Elwood, the back of my Mel TIllis signed ASAT -

Cheers,
KF

Tue May 05, 2015 4:57 pm

^^^Sweet! Thanks for the pics.

that's how i like my guitars for some reason.

Wed May 06, 2015 2:24 am

Sure thang - I hear ya.
Cheers,
KF