The 80's G&L Schaller Humbucker: Opinions, Reviews, Info

Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:36 pm

The information on this humbucker seems to be quite limited - and varying - if you do a search.

the G&L database claims it was used on the following G&L models; the Invader, Superhawk, Interceptor, and Rampage, guitars of the 80's:
viewtopic.php?p=37
with the info:
7.9k - These pickups were wound to Leo's specifications by Schaller. They have an extra wire for coil splitting, but oddly, Leo never used this option on any of his "Superstrat" type guitars. These pickups are typically dark sounding humbuckers and are best suited for overdriven tone.

However, you'll find if you do an extensive search of user opinions of the guitars, most people saying it is Bright.

Since the information is quite limited, it spurred the idea to make a thread about this humbucker. What are your opinions of it? what does it remind you of? And if available, do you know any specs on it?

I only recently became acquainted with the pickup on my late 80's G&L Invader. I would agree with those that claim it is on the brighter side of humbuckers. Not necessarily a typical bright, but rather, a CLEAR humbucker. Which I am really enjoying. I have always been a single-coil preference player, mostly the definition they provide; either clean or overdriven. I was surprised when first plugging in and hearing, and feeling, this Schaller humbucker. Very clear sounding, even EQ, with maybe a boost in the high end. If I had to compare it to a common humbucker, I would say it reminds me of a Seymour Duncan Custom - but with less output. I guess this would imply it is PAF-like, however, it is much clearer than the typical PAF types I am use to: less mids, more definition. The output is very even with the MFD single-coils, no drop or addition of volume when switching pickups. Overall, I am very big fan.

I have absolutely no idea what magnets these pickups, ceramic/alnico? Are they a unique spec Humbucker by Leo, or where they trying to put in PAF clones?

Anyways, what are your opinions of this humbucker for those of you that have it loaded up in your guitars 8-)

Re: The 80's G&L Schaller Humbucker: Opinions, Reviews, Info

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 am

A lot of the humbuckers in my Climax g&ls are Schallers. I found they sound much better and useable onice the 1 Meg pots are replaced. I have a couple NOS examples that I haven't replaced the pots with and I would describe them as "bright". Does anyone know what single coils were used in the HSH versions of these? I remember reading one of our knowledgeable members saying they were a poor choice.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:21 am

jeffmarshall67 wrote: Does anyone know what single coils were used in the HSH versions of these? I remember reading one of our knowledgeable members saying they were a poor choice.

Perhaps it was this post? : Climax Pickups and body wood?

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:51 pm

My '86 Superhawk came to me with the original Schallers in the case. The circuit diagram in the Gallery shows difference resistance values for the bridge and neck pups. IIRC, the tech who put mine back in said they were right at the values on the diagram.

I am first and foremost a bass player, and my preference on guitars going back to high school has always been for single coils. The only non-MFD humbucker guitar I've owned aside from the Superhawk was an '81 Univox, which I bought new and sold a couple of months later. I mention that just to point out that my frame of reference on non-MFD humbuckers is very limited.

I do like the sound of the Schallers in my 'Hawk, but only in certain signal chains. One amp I thought they sounded great running straight into is a mid-'80s Roland JC-120. I ran it straight into a silver face Champ last weekend, and wasn't thrilled with the tone. It seemed kind of weak. OTOH, running through a decent overdrive or boost pedal into the same amp the 'Hawk sounded very nice. I remember it sounding good straight into my '81-'82 Fender Bassman Ten, which has clean headroom in the range of the the JC-120.

Personally, I would say the tone is on the darker side. But then again, my points of reference for humbuckers are all MFDs that are often referred to as being very bright...

Ken

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:37 pm

jeffmarshall67 wrote:A lot of the humbuckers in my Climax g&ls are Schallers. I found they sound much better and useable onice the 1 Meg pots are replaced. I have a couple NOS examples that I haven't replaced the pots with and I would describe them as "bright". Does anyone know what single coils were used in the HSH versions of these? I remember reading one of our knowledgeable members saying they were a poor choice.

With 1 Meg pots, and if they were the same pickup, then yeah I can imagine it must have been bright!

I was surprised to find the Invader used 250k pots, given how clear the Schaller humbucker sounds. Heck, I even have a guitar loaded low wind Lollar P-90's and think even sound too muddy and dark with 250k pots (tele).

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:23 pm

nice info Craig, thanks!