Test driving an F100 for a few weeks.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 am

Well I got together with a friend of mine today and he has loaned me his F100 to try for a few weeks to see if I like it. He's had it since 1987 and it is in quite good condition with the exception of some honest play wear from it's gigging days many years ago. Serial number is G004600. It's a Series I with the hard tail bridge. He couldn't remember if it was a I or a II until we got looking at it today. I've played it a bit today at his place and the pickups have a very unique sound.

Looking forward to playing it some more tonight when I get some free time.

Greg.

Re: Test driving an F100 for a few weeks.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 am

oooohh...that's pretty !!

That's a good friend indeed .

It does take some time to get to know them , I've never been bored with an F-100 in my hand :thumbup:

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 am

Greg, a beautiful F-100. I love the color. A friend of mine left an American Strat with me for the winter in 2004. It has cost me a ton of money. I didn't own an electric at the time other than a couple of basses.

You can't go wrong with a test drive!-- Darwin

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks Elwood and Darwin! I took some polish and a soft cloth to it this afternoon. Cleaned up pretty good. You should see the color of my cloth! :shocked003:

I've got it plugged into my 5E3 Deluxe clone right now. These pickups pack quite a punch; no issue overdriving this amp! I'm trying to figure out the toggle switches. The one for the pickup selector seems a bit wonky. Not noticing much of a difference in tone among the 3 positions.

Greg.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Check out the Instructions we have in the Gallery: Album: F-100 and F-100E Instructions.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:13 pm

OK, I found the instructions in the gallery. Thanks to whoever posted them! The pickup selector is working as it should, I had the pickups out of phase and the switch is out of the circuit like that. :oops: I'm not digging the neck humbucker that much; pretty bright but the middle and bridge position is fantastic! This thing is a rock machine on the bridge! Really appreciate the separate treble and bass controls as well in the middle position. Leo knew what he was doing; so much better than a treble roll off.

Greg.

Edit: Craig, looks like you and I posted at the same time but thanks for your help. :happy0065:

I need to get some deoxit into the pots and switches. Quite a bit of crackling in them.

So I cleaned up the pots and noticed that the CTS pots are dated 1378020, 1378041 and 1378043 so looks like this is probably an '81 model??

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:08 pm

This guitar is fairly light. It weighs in at exactly 8 pounds. Maybe the fixed bridge keeps the weight down compared to the DFV models?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:35 pm

That is a really clean looking F-100, and a great colour too. I'm calling it now. You have already bought it ( mentally at least ). Nice Traynor ! A good example of CANCON.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:00 pm

glvourot wrote:That is a really clean looking F-100, and a great colour too. I'm calling it now. You have already bought it ( mentally at least ). Nice Traynor ! A good example of CANCON.

Yeah, you may be right. I'm really enjoying this guitar. Thanks for the compliment on the Traynor. It's a '78 YGM-3. A great under appreciated amp.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:18 pm

That is a beautiful F-100. The clear blue finish showed up a bit in the mid-1980s, but it was wasn't common when this guitar was built.

Congrats in advance on your new guitar. You know it's inevitable at this point...

Ken

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 pm

KenC wrote:That is a beautiful F-100. The clear blue finish showed up a bit in the mid-1980s, but it was wasn't common when this guitar was built.

Congrats in advance on your new guitar. You know it's inevitable at this point...

Ken

Thanks Ken. Interesting information on the finish color. Good to know. And yes, you're probably right. Not easy to resist a Leo era. I know where there's a second gen slab body SC-3 for sale... :evilgrin:

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:36 am

I put a new set of strings on this baby today - DR Pure Blues 10's - and what a difference to the tone. Much more lively. I'm not sure how long the old set were on there but there was some corrosion on the unwound strings. I think the strings have sealed my fate; I'm going for this one. :alright:

This will be my first Leo G&L. :banana:

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:12 pm

:banana: yeehaw ! ; )

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Case24 wrote:Not easy to resist a Leo era. I know where there's a second gen slab body SC-3 for sale... :evilgrin:

You might as well start planning for that one too. Once you get the Leo-era bug, these things tend to multiply!

I have a second generation SC-2 that I bought from a forum member last year. It is a joy to play. There's something about scaled-down maple bodies that makes me not even notice the lack of contours on the old SCs and SBs.

Ken

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:09 am

One question: The fretboard has a mat finish in contrast to the gloss on the headstock and back of the neck, is this normal? I don't have a similar vintage to compare it to.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:49 am

they were glossy when new , I'd use virtuoso polish ( or similar ) to buff out the neck.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:03 am

Elwood wrote:they were glossy when new , I'd use virtuoso polish ( or similar ) to buff out the neck.

Thanks Elwood. I used some Gibson polish that is designed for nitro finishes; it did a great job of cleaning the body and back of the neck but the fingerboard just seemed to soak it up. I don't think there is much finish left on it.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:05 am

One other question for any F-100 owners: Is the neck pickup quite a bit quieter than the bridge pickup? If I have a nice volume on the neck and then I switch to the bridge or middle position my amps go into instant overdrive.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:47 am

Case24 wrote:
Thanks Elwood. I used some Gibson polish that is designed for nitro finishes; it did a great job of cleaning the body and back of the neck but the fingerboard just seemed to soak it up. I don't think there is much finish left on it.

I've seen so many F-100's with worn fingerboards (think 50's tele), yours might be there in another 10 years if played well.
It's nice to hear she's getting alot of attention :)
I have one stock F-100 (1981) , I'll see how the pickups balance . I know I've spent some time dialing F-100's in between pup height and then adjusting the poles a bit. Most of he ones I have had were set up with the pickups too close to the strings . There's a sweet spot that gives you a nice hot sound without string pull ( especially the neck pup).
You might try lowering the bridge pup a tad , unless your craving that over the top drive you have experienced.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:34 pm

Elwood wrote: You might try lowering the bridge pup a tad , unless your craving that over the top drive you have experienced.

I agree. This would be a good place to start. Unless, of course, the overdrive is only when you play one or two strings. Then I would adjust pole pieces to taste.

Ken

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I played around with pole pieces and then pickup heights. I raised the neck a bit and lowered the bridge some and got a bit more balance between the two and across the strings. The bridge is still strong but not as overpowering as it was. The neck is still a bit thin sounding. I actually like the single coil and out of phase settings. The single coil sound is a better Strat than a Strat sound to me and the out of phase sound is quite interesting. Still working on getting a neck sound I like. I'm used to a bluesier sounding neck pickup and this one is very country clean sounding. Having lots of fun learning though. :)

Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:29 am

I have a lefty 1980 F100 Series II with mahogany body and trem. I can't say I have had any problem with pickup balance. Mine also has slotted head pole pieces, which I believe were on earlier F100s, later ones had hex head pole pieces. The pickups have some serious output and will easily overdrive most amps, I usually run mine with all controls at about 5, it takes the hard edge off the tone. As for your thin sounding neck pickup is it possible that it might be out of phase even with the switch disengaged ?

Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:42 am

SouthpawGuy wrote:I have a lefty 1980 F100 Series II with mahogany body and trem. I can't say I have had any problem with pickup balance. Mine also has slotted head pole pieces, which I believe were on earlier F100s, later ones had hex head pole pieces. The pickups have some serious output and will easily overdrive most amps, I usually run mine with all controls at about 5, it takes the hard edge off the tone. As for your thin sounding neck pickup is it possible that it might be out of phase even with the switch disengaged ?

I guess it is possible. But how could a pickup be out of phase when it is selected all by itself? It sounds more like a single coil but when I select the single coil position it changes the sound again. All the switches seem to be working as they should. The pickup selector is quite scratchy/noisy if you flick it too slowly.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:34 am

Case24 wrote:
SouthpawGuy wrote:I have a lefty 1980 F100 Series II with mahogany body and trem. I can't say I have had any problem with pickup balance. Mine also has slotted head pole pieces, which I believe were on earlier F100s, later ones had hex head pole pieces. The pickups have some serious output and will easily overdrive most amps, I usually run mine with all controls at about 5, it takes the hard edge off the tone. As for your thin sounding neck pickup is it possible that it might be out of phase even with the switch disengaged ?

I guess it is possible. But how could a pickup be out of phase when it is selected all by itself? It sounds more like a single coil but when I select the single coil position it changes the sound again. All the switches seem to be working as they should. The pickup selector is quite scratchy/noisy if you flick it too slowly.

Might be dust or dirt, or oxidation build up causing the problem. A shot or two of mine, you might be able to judge the pickup height from them.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:56 am

Thanks for the pics Southpaw. My neck pickup is a bit higher than your right now. Bridge looks to be about the same. I'll keep trying some things. I should pull the control plate and check for loose connections.

And that is one beautiful F-100 you have! Someone should start a thread showing off these great guitars! :alright:

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:14 pm

What a difference a day makes. Made a few slight adjustments to the height of both pickups and I think both pickups are well balanced now. Also noted that due to the treble pot being wide open in the bridge position, this really acts like a volume boost. If I turn the volume all the way up on the neck I get just as loud of a signal as I do off of the bridge. So a bit of a learning curve. I think I would prefer to have control over the treble pot on the bridge; not sure why Leo thought this was a good idea to have it wide open. Just takes some getting used to. The pickup selector is working better today. Looks like the cleaner I sprayed into it has finally worked its magic. Everything is now working as it should. Nice to see this old girl getting some play time again. It's such a comfortable guitar to play. Really like the neck on it. :happy0065: