I have officially joined this crew! (new) Late 80's Invader

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:54 am

:alright:

Hello Everyone. Just ordered up my first ever G&L: 1987 Invader - bright yellow.

I originally set out to order a new guitar from G&L Legacy in Spanish Copper in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11965

While I was researching I came across this guitar, and I just fell in love and couldn't get it out of my head :D
[image]http://s7.postimg.org/8e419cgbf/Invader5.jpg[/image]
[image]http://s18.postimg.org/fgjgsxvex/Invader1.jpg[/image]
[image]http://s17.postimg.org/f57o1fxtb/Invader2.jpg[/image]

It gets shipped today and I am excited for it to get into my hands by the end of the week.

oddly enough, I searched the serial numbers, and this guitar is already in the G&L Miscellaneous gallery, it's this guitar:
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... temId=9661

I have a few questions since this type of guitar has a few unique features not found on others:

(1) I am assuming this guitar is going to need a setup. Do you often play with the micro-tilt on the neck on these for action and intonation, or do you typically just rely on just adjusting the saddle height?

(2) any special tricks I need to know about the Fine-Tuning system?
    I take it i need to do the following
    1: loosen the nut-locks, and use regular tuners to get in ballpark
    2: tighten the nut-lock down
    3: use the fine-tuners to get the tuning spot on

I typically play with 11's. I assume that won't be a problem for the fine-tune bridge?

Re: I have officially joined this crew! (new) Late 80's Inva

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:08 am

sweet Invader , I have a Rampage in that color .... you only adjust the micro tilt to tailor string height

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:08 am

Fumble fingers wrote:sweet Invader , I have a Rampage in that color .... you only adjust the micro tilt to tailor string height

oh cool. I will have to break out a metric ruler and give a little test to familiarize myself with the system when I get the guitar 8-)

Yeah, I have seen your yellow Rampage in the other thread, looks very nice. Also saw that you re-fretted it with Stainless frets, must feel amazing. All my guitars since '05 have had Stainless frets, this will be my first going back to original style. Not sure how worn down they are. In the future, after wear, I will probably also re-fret with stainless 8-)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:28 am

Great looking Invader! Welcome to the club. :)

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Congrats on the inbound Invader. I have recently become a big fan of the late '80s yellow finish. You'll need a couple of other Leo-era solid colors to set next to it. Right now my yellow L-2K is on a stand next to the blue SC-3 in my avatar. They look even better together than they do separately. It's never too early to start planning for the next G&L (or two)...

I have owned over two dozen three-bolt G&Ls, and only one needed a tilt adjustment. Just follow the factory setup instructions in the Gallery (I think the file is in with the 1980-1981 manuals). Basically, it's a matter of adjusting the truss rod (if needed) for relief, and then raising or lowering the saddles to get the action you want. The tilt only comes into play if the action is still too high with the saddles bottomed out. Like I said, I have only seen that once in over two dozen instruments. In that one case, it was very obvious that the truss rod and saddle heights alone weren't getting the job done.

No ideas on the fine tuner. I haven't experienced one of them yet.

Ken

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:54 pm

KenC wrote:Congrats on the inbound Invader. I have recently become a big fan of the late '80s yellow finish. You'll need a couple of other Leo-era solid colors to set next to it. Right now my yellow L-2K is on a stand next to the blue SC-3 in my avatar. They look even better together than they do separately. It's never too early to start planning for the next G&L (or two)...

I have owned over two dozen three-bolt G&Ls, and only one needed a tilt adjustment. Just follow the factory setup instructions in the Gallery (I think the file is in with the 1980-1981 manuals). Basically, it's a matter of adjusting the truss rod (if needed) for relief, and then raising or lowering the saddles to get the action you want. The tilt only comes into play if the action is still too high with the saddles bottomed out. Like I said, I have only seen that once in over two dozen instruments. In that one case, it was very obvious that the truss rod and saddle heights alone weren't getting the job done.

No ideas on the fine tuner. I haven't experienced one of them yet.

Ken

Thanks! Yeah, I DIG that light blue SC-3 in your avatar. I would love to have a G&L in that color, have to keep my eyes out. I have an amplifier that same color, it will go well with the incoming bright yellow guitar :D

Wow, that's a lot of G&L's to have owned! Thanks for the advice on the tilt adjustment. I will make sure to download the 80's manual to have as reference 8-)

This is my first guitar with a locking nut and fine tuners on the bridge, so it will be an adjustment period. I assume it will force me to play different than my usual style which will be a good bit of fresh air from the usual.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Copper Coyote wrote: I DIG that light blue SC-3 in your avatar. I would love to have a G&L in that color, have to keep my eyes out.

No bids yet on this blue SC-3:ebay

What kind of blue amp do you have ?

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Elwood wrote:
Copper Coyote wrote: I DIG that light blue SC-3 in your avatar. I would love to have a G&L in that color, have to keep my eyes out.

Elwood, stop showing links like that! Some of us here have wives!

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Copper Coyote wrote:Yeah, I DIG that light blue SC-3 in your avatar.

Thanks! I got lucky one night randomly clicking through different cities' CL ads when I couldn't fall asleep. This one was for sale in northeast Indiana. Fortunately the seller was willing to ship it.

Copper Coyote wrote:This is my first guitar with a locking nut and fine tuners on the bridge, so it will be an adjustment period. I assume it will force me to play different than my usual style which will be a good bit of fresh air from the usual.

I guess I could count my two Kahlers in the same ballpark. I usually get all the vibrato I need from my fingertips, so the whammy bar doesn't get used much. I do find it easier to tune with the Kahlers' fine tuners than with normal headstock tuners. Not that tuning is difficult, just that a quick touch of the fine tuner knob dials it right in without any tweaking.

Ken

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Case24 wrote:
Elwood wrote:

On a different topic, I see it didn't take long for your avatar to change. :lol: Nice F-100!

Ken

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:15 pm

only three bids on a HLG either ..... just don't tell your wife :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-G-L-Guitar ... 3253&rt=nc

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:only three bids on a HLG either ..... just don't tell your wife :)

thx FF, I somehow missed that HG-2 .

I bet an HLG model would kick butt :P

Case24 wrote:

I'll try to temper my enabling . All I have is cats ;) .

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:16 am

Elwood wrote:

Wow, that guitar looks sweet :luv:

it's a bright turquoise Badcat. If i play the Invader and the blue amp out in the sun it will require sunglasses.

[image]http://s13.postimg.org/tvg2kujg7/panther.jpg[/image]

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:41 am

KenC wrote:On a different topic, I see it didn't take long for your avatar to change. :lol: Nice F-100!

Ken

:D

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:42 am

Copper Coyote wrote:
Elwood wrote:

Wow, that guitar looks sweet :luv:

it's a bright turquoise Badcat. If i play the Invader and the blue amp out in the sun it will require sunglasses.

[image]http://s13.postimg.org/tvg2kujg7/panther.jpg[/image]

Nice Badcat! Which model is that?

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:39 am

Case24 wrote:
Nice Badcat! Which model is that?

it's a Panther reverb. They discontinued them to streamline their amp line. It was intended to be a Fender + Vox type amp: 1 channel with a 12ax7 based preamp for fender stuff, and a 2nd channel with an ef86 based preamp for vox stuff, powered by a class A/B fender style power section.

I actually got the yellow Invader to pair with my Mesa Mark iic+ amp, which currently feeds back like crazy bc all my guitars are single coiled guitars with slightly microphonic pickups. I wanted a more rocking sound so I sought something with a humbucker in the bridge. it arrives on this coming Monday, so excited.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:44 pm

Elwood wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:only three bids on a HLG either ..... just don't tell your wife :)

thx FF, I somehow missed that HG-2 .

I bet an HLG model would kick butt :P

Anybody notice that the neck plate does not have a serial number? It should be there for a 1984 build...

I'm not regretting my "new" '89 L-2K fretless, but why do the Broadcasters and HG-2s always seem to show up for sale right after I've pulled the trigger on something else??? :crazy:

Ken

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:27 pm

KenC wrote:
Anybody notice that the neck plate does not have a serial number? It should be there for a 1984 build...

Boy that's an old sticker-

I think I can see a 10xxx (or something stamped) at the bridge.
I tried to coax it out. (sorry for the hijack)

That broadcaster would need new frets if thats any consolation...
Don't fret...It'll be alright :? :)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Congrats Coyote!

Late in reply but those Yellow gitars are just killer IMHO :alright:

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

sam wrote:Congrats Coyote!

Late in reply but those Yellow gitars are just killer IMHO :alright:

Thanks!

Yeah, I saw the guitar back in February, and I have always loved yellow since I was a kid, so I just could NOT get the guitar out of my head. I realized I would just regret it if I didn't get it, so I jumped on it.

Anyone have experience with the Schaller humbuckers? It came stock on these guitars, and from what I can find online it was "Leo's specs humbucker from Schaller".

Are they sort of their own thing going as far as sound, or where they trying to hit that 80's high output thing?

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:50 am

it arrived on Monday, been enjoying it for the past 2 days 8-) Still trying to figure out the ins-an-outs of the Fine Tine bridge setup. Mostly bc i feel the guitar pops slightly out of tune with use :confused0007: I may need to slightly adjust truss rod and play with the micro tilt. guitar came with what i assume were .09's. I play .11s, so when i loaded them up everything needed adjustment. giving the guitar till the weekend to settle in with the strings before taking the screws to it.

[image]http://s29.postimg.org/xngsfeh7r/Invader_Tele.jpg[/image]

Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Wow, Sunglasses should have been included in the case candy !! 8-)

Maybe the tremelo springs need the slightest tweaking?
...or maybe just some time to get used to being played after years in a case :elguitar054:

More pics welcome anytime :evilgrin:
elwood

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:13 pm

That's a great looking Invader! And a bright one at that! 8-)

As Elwood said...more pictures please!

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:23 am

Some more pics not commonly seen on a google search.

As i said, I restrung the guitar with 11's which required a complete setup from the smaller gauge it came with. The hardest part was getting the bridge back to flat-lying, i think I got it there.

Here is a view of the Leo Fender FIne Tuner bridge up close

Setup with 11's, MFD neck and middle, Schaller humbucker in the bridge:

here is a view of the back, you can see the little lever keys that are controlled by the fine tuner bridge. Here is where i struggled - you can see that I tightened the spring holder all the way up. This was to provide correct counter-pull caused by the 11 gauge strings. However, the strings are STILL heavy enough that i had to tune down to Eb in order to keep the bridge level. I may need to add an extra spring.

The leo locking nut

View of the back. The gold sticker, and the bi-cut neck 8-)

Control panel. Pretty interesting. the copper-plated? brass? panel at the top of the body in combination with the aluminum cover as shielding 8-) nice and quiet guitar

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:46 am

Such a cool guitar! Thanks for the pics. I too would try another spring for the tremolo.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Great pics! I love that yellow finish. If I hadn't just found my yellow L-2K fretless, my head would be exploding from GAS right now.

Ken

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, and KenC that bass looks SWEET. That rosewood board on the bass is stunning, they must have had a good run of rosewood for a few years.

Speaking of wood. Does anyone have any idea what type of wood they used for the body on these Invaders? It took me 2 days to get everything setup, now I don't want to take off the neck just to look in the pocket :( I have seen people saying they are maple, or ash, or alder :problem: conflicting reports. The guitar is dead flat at 8 lbs, which ain't too bad at all, and good balance with a strap on for the large headstock - I was worried about neck dive.

Also, I have seen that people are not too thrilled with the Leo Locking nut - though, with no explanation why they disliked it. Is there something I should know about it, i.e prone to popping off or something? It has worked just fine for me for the 5 days I have had this guitar. . Is it a continual use type-thing where problems will eventually arise?

Stayed up an hour past normal bedtime getting some time in on this. Very fun guitar, and quite inspiring to play. Just feels "good", what more can you ask for? 8-)

Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm

the problem with the locking nut is that your guitar goes sharp when you tighten it down .... I had mine switched out to a style that doesn't change the tune when you lock it down

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Here's a shot of an '85 invader that just has a little sealer. It's a 3 piece body , Maple, and not that heavy .

Someday you'll have to check the neck pocket to see if you can nail it down for sure.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:52 am

Fumble fingers wrote:the problem with the locking nut is that your guitar goes sharp when you tighten it down .... I had mine switched out to a style that doesn't change the tune when you lock it down

Oh yeah, I noticed that when I was doing setup and intonation earlier this week.

After playing with it for awhile, the method that seemed to work best for me - when putting on new strings - was to 1) loosen the all the fine tuners 2) use the regular tuners to tune to normal and even a bit sharper to stretch the strings out. 3) then drop the tuning of all strings a whole step or more down. 4) tighten the locking nut, this makes the guitar go sharp, but you are still at a lower tuning than you want to be 4) then turn the fine tuners to tune to the correct pitch - which causes the fine tuner "knobs" to screw down into the bridge and thus it protrudes less.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:55 am

Elwood wrote:Here's a shot of an '85 invader that just has a little sealer. It's a 3 piece body , Maple, and not that heavy .

Someday you'll have to check the neck pocket to see if you can nail it down for sure.

Cool.

I did a quick search and saw a thread by Craig with the line: "Most of the SC & SB basses sport maple bodies as do the vast
majority of Rampages, Superhawks and Invaders
."

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2568

I am hoping it is maple bodied, would make it seem more "period correct" 8-) I will pop off the neck the next time I do a string change.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:10 am

I have an 87' Invader and was curious to what height your trem was set flush from the body? I've been experimenting with different heights. I read in an old manual that it should be at 3/16, but I feel that's too high due to me not using much pull back on the bar.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Motorockr wrote:I have an 87' Invader and was curious to what height your trem was set flush from the body? I've been experimenting with different heights. I read in an old manual that it should be at 3/16, but I feel that's too high due to me not using much pull back on the bar.

I pull back on the bar slightly, since the locking tuners prevent me from pulling on the strings above the nut to get a high pitch ring. So I keep the bridge slightly higher than 3/16's. but right now i am running 2 springs in in and it REALLY needs 3 springs in the back with 11's. so in the next week or 2 I will be doing a complete re-setup.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Well, I did NOT expect this dilemma :confused0007:

So I mentioned I was going to add a 3rd spring since my .11 string gauge was too strong to be able to tune to standard.

So I purchased All-Parts tremolo springs. The stock G&L tremolo springs are significantly wider in diameter :shock:

Does anyone know where I can get bigger tremolo springs? I am worried the 3 smaller ones won't be strong enough for .11's? hmmm..

[image]http://s13.postimg.org/5lhkswghj/Screen_Shot_2015_04_07_at_8_29_56_PM.png[/image]

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:38 pm

just add one of your "new" springs for the middle and see what happens

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:06 am

Fumble fingers wrote:just add one of your "new" springs for the middle and see what happens

I added a new "spring" to the middle. It made all the difference. Vibrato feels so good now! It was really soft before. Too easy to move. Now it stiffened up a bit and just feels good and much easier to control.

Now I am debating getting an FU-Tone heavy duty springs and changing all 3 over just to test it out.

Success :alright:

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Rawking plans confirmed! :elguitar054:

I will try and get some clips/vids up for you guys on this in a month: I will be going to my Grandma's house for a visit, and I am taking 1 guitar to blast full volume into the open desert. She lives in the middle of nowhere, so whenever I get a chance to visit her I usually haul some amp and a guitar out to her place. Since I am enjoying this guitar, I am leaving the others behind and taking the Invader out to the desert. Recording devices will unfortunately be minimal since I am in the process of moving cross country ( :thumbdown: ) but it will either be a phone video or a hand-held Roland recording device.

Last summer I took my USACG Strat out with a Mesa Mark IIC+ and was able to run the amp volume at 7, pointed at a mountain - any higher and I thought the amp was going to explode :o
last years pic, full volume pointing out of her garage

Havent decided on what amp I want to take out - maybe the badcat. But definitely will be taking the Invader as the guitar of choice. I am excited
:smoking030:

her backyard:
[image]http://i59.tinypic.com/11kjvv5.jpg[/image]

Fri May 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeehaw!!
I'll head over the hills and set up the bass :)

There is an old cult film; Pet Cemetary , there's a scene with a guy playing to the hills like that.

Look forward to the reviews :thumbup: :thumbup:

elwood

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Finally got around to cranking it up at Grandma's :thumbup:

Wonderful, had the amp full tilt and blasted the Invader towards this mountain:

It was loud as could be, and rocking! the neck and and middle MFD single coils sound great into a full cranked tube amp. They boost the amp with their output level and push it into a wonderful compression. And of course they can sustain like crazy at that high of a volume. The Schaller bridge was a real treat as well. Nice and clear, AC/DC type rock output, wonderful crunch and slightly more bassy than your typical PAF.

Unfortunately, there was nowhere to set my phone down to get good video clips. DIrt everywhere. However, I do promise to get some better audio recordings when I get home and can crank it up with a better mic.

Feels so good to crank up a guitar into the wide open. I need it to happen more often :cry:

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Killer pics, especially that second one.
I think I'll use that for my desktop on occasion (with your expressed consent of course ;) )

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:08 pm

fabulous !!

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Hey guys!

Just updating new info on this Invader. Still love the tone and the feel, still inspiring all these months later :alright:

The one thing that left a little to be desired . . . those dang low/wide G&L frets from that era.

So I did the sacrilege to this guitar . . . I got it re-fretted :crazy:

LOVE this guitar now, and I already loved it before. Now it is simply amazing to play. Went with Jescar EVO 55090 frets (Tall narrow, same size as standard 6105 frets). Got them for longevity without going with Stainless, which I have on my other guitars. Wanted to try something new on this guitar, and I heard EVO's have been getting rave reviews lately. They feel great, and look, uhhh interesting . . if you like gold. luckily the guitar is so bright you can barely tell they are gold frets/ They do look good against the ebony.

New nut as well, out with the Micarta, and on with a bone nut.

behold:

Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:43 pm

I've had a few refretted too , I don't like the low/wides or vintage frets either

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:59 pm

Warning - '80's Content.... but the Sly factor makes up for it.

2 Invaders featured - great axes indeed.

[youtube]maHadudeqP4[/youtube]

Cheers,

KF

Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I've had a few refretted too , I don't like the low/wides or vintage frets either

For general chording I didn't have a 'big' problem with the low/wides. However, all of my other guitars have 6105 sized frets on them, so they sort of left the G&L in the dust when it came to soloing (bending) and tapping. The new frets really changed all that. With the wide invader neck and slim body, it really is my most comfortable guitar now.

Katefan wrote:Warning - '80's Content.... but the Sly factor makes up for it.

2 Invaders featured - great axes indeed.

Cheers,

KF

Cool, haha. That 80's cheese :mrgreen: