NGD - '83 SC-2

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Some of you may remember the 1983 SC-2 that Ken had for sale recently - here's a picture

After thinking about buying this guitar at the great price it was going for far too long Ken traded it towards something else and I thought I'd missed out. I went into panic mode and found out the details of where the guitar had gone - luckily Ken was willing to go and get it back for me. The guy is a gem, as I'm sure all of you already know. After a lot of messing about with international money transfers - I now know exactly why Paypal is so widely used - I have my hands on it.

I bought this guitar thinking it was going to be a project I could tinker with as bits and pieces became available, but when it got here I was frankly shocked at how little needed doing. The bridge, switch tip and knobs are all non-original, but are fully functional as they are. Apart from the addition of an extra string tree and some mysterious holes on the back of the headstock, he neck is in excellent condition, the frets show virtually no wear. Check out the third fret, usually these have flat spots even on newer guitars:

So no work required there aside from removing the extra string tree. I see no reason to fill the holes, its an old guitar and a couple of dings and holes are fine with me. You gotta love the look of the enormous old headstock.

The previous owner had had a bit of a go at sanding the finish, to what end is anybodies guess - probably just wanted it to be matte black. It was pretty consistent aside from a couple of spots where they'd gone a bit deep.

So I hit it with some 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper, gave it a buff and in the time it took me to listen to Emmylou Harris' excellent album 'Red Dirt Girl' I had this

Its not perfect, and doesn't look like it just left the factory but again, this is an old guitar and I didn't want to disguise that fact. So there are a couple of scratches still on it, and there was no way I was about to touch up the dings in the paint. To be completely honest, I'm not too big a fan of the all black look that the body has so I've ordered a couple of creme covers from the G&L store - hopefully they fit the old pickups, I seem to remember reading that they don't.

I've spent most of this morning tweaking the setup and am struggling to get the action where I want it, but its pretty close and is definitely playable. It sounds great, and SC-2's are incredibly comfortable to play. The thinner, smaller neck on this matches the feel of the guitar a lot better than the #1 neck used on the current SC-2, G&L should really look at adding neck options there. And it's been ages since I've had a guitar with the saddle lock bridge, I'd forgotten about the sustain. This is the second SC-2 that I've owned, and I truly believe that they are the best guitar that G&L make.

Thanks again, Ken!

Re: NGD - '83 SC-2

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Great job in bringing back some of it's former glory Jamie! Looks pretty sweet. I really like those first generation bodies. :)

Greg.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:35 pm

sweet !! ... glad you got it and Ken is the real deal

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:40 pm

blargfromouterspace wrote: I went into panic mode and found out the details of where the guitar had gone - luckily Ken was willing to go and get it back for me

...above and beyond ! that is cool Ken .

the creme covers sound like a good idea ...and I like all black .

Nice job on the spruce up...they are the bee's knees, so simple , so sweet :D

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Yay Jamie,

Way to go bro!! Fantastic you brought back some of the esthetic luster. I do not have to worry about the sonic luster of these SC-2. That is perfectly covered as is on these maple bodied little "punk" machines. And nice when these gems stay in the "family". So a +1 for Thanks Ken!

Well deserved and enjoy that tone machine.

- Jos

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:43 am

Jamie, a cool find and it is interesting that Ken lets go of one now and then. I wish that I could. The Sc 2 is a sweet guitar and that is one that you can gig with and not worry about. As for filling holes, it is impossible to do without any trace. The birthmark is a good example. I filled some hole on my Bass VI neck before finishing and they can be seen. I filled the two string tree holes as I am going to use locking tuners. The black finish buffed out pretty well! -- Darwin

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks guys, and I'm very happy I've finally got a Leo era instrument of my own :thumbup:

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Jamie,

I'm just glad she's found a good home, and that you've finally gotten to try a Leo-era G&L. Happy playing!

Ken