NBD - Superstrat-inspired L-2000

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:53 pm

OK, so I first noticed this one a couple of months ago on GC's website. It was listed as a 1987 L-2000 in Yellow Fever, with no photo in the ad. I ignored the ad, since Yellow Fever became a finish option long after the '80s were over. Then last weekend I noticed that they had added a photo and dropped the price. I looked just to see how badly they could have gotten it wrong. The photo was washed out, but looked like it might have been a white finish that had yellowed with time. That's when I noticed the word "fretless" down in the details.

I called to see if it could be the Leo-era fretless I've been on the hunt for. I figured a nice creamy white finish would be nice. The sales manager said it was very yellow and very clean, and sent photos to prove it. I figured I might as well give it a shot, and that I could always take advantage of the 30-day return policy. I wasn't expecting to like the finish, but when I opened the case today it was love at first sight. I also immediately understood why this finish is called "screaming yellow".

Now for some pics:

I believe this was an employee's instrument. For starters, HLG kindly confirmed for me that it was not entered in Dale Hyatt's logbook. That means it was never transferred from the factory to G&L Sales. There isn't a date stamp on the body, but the neck stamp indicates an October '89 build. That puts it squarely in the period covered by the log.

Also, this bass has off-menu options. The finish was officially called "yellow" on the price lists, and was only listed as a choice for a few guitar models (the SC-3 and the Superstrats). It wasn't listed as an option for any basses. The ebony fingerboard wasn't an option for ordering on the previous price list (which specified rosewood for fretless necks), but it was listed as an option for replacement necks. The neck profile is unlike anything I've experienced on a Leo-era G&L, and I have played almost every model that was made before the ownership change. The neck on this one is shaped like a typical '80s Superstrat neck: very shallow front-to-back, and with a cross between U and V shapes. The edges of the fingerboard are actually angled in toward the back of the neck. This is the best I could do trying to capture it:

The neck and fingerboard have very nice grain, with some birdseye throughout the neck:

The body is maple, and the bass weighs in around nine pounds. Here are a last couple of shots of the headstock:

I'm waiting for some new strings to arrive, so in the meantime I'm using the ones that were on her. Once I get a decent set on, I will add a tone report. The cheap light guage rounds on there now just aren't a good match for this bass.

Ken

Re: NBD - Superstrat-inspired L-2000

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:06 pm

looks great Ken !!

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:11 pm

:happy0065: :banana: :banana: :happy0065: :luv:

That makes me smile just looking at it ( listen to that Yellow ! wow ) .

I'll check my fretless to see if the neck profile is anywhere close to yours .

Is it interesting that it has the G&L sales sticker but didn't get in the log ? Maybe not...I see my Skyhawk has the sticker but isn't in the logbook either.

what kind of strings did you order?

and...yeehaw!! ; )

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Elwood wrote:That makes me smile just looking at it ( listen to that Yellow ! wow ) .

It's actually brighter in person. A few things this bass reminds me of:

Elwood wrote:what kind of strings did you order?

I've ordered a couple of sets, and I'm not 100% sure which will go on this bass. I have some TI Jazz Flats inbound from Bass Strings Online right now, but many of the reviews I seen indicate that they have rather low tension. I think I will put that set on a fretless Guild Pilot that has a very slender neck, and see if they aren't too light for my preference on the L-2000. I also have a set of Pyramid Gold flats on back order. I ordered the Pyramids for the L-2000, as I really like the feel and sound of a set that's on one of my fretted basses. However, if the TIs really wow me on the Guild I may switch the order from Pyramids to another set of TIs.

Fumble fingers wrote:looks great Ken !!

Thanks Eric!

Ken

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Ken,

Stuff like that should not be allowed on this site. I have to use signs as yellow as your bass warning my friends and family about the slippery floors due to all the drooling over that beauty. ;-)

Congrats! :happy0065:

What. A. Find.

- Jos

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:11 am

Congrats Ken - That's Rad!

You sure have a knack for finding some stunningly Cool & Clean G&L's...

Cheers,

KF

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:02 am

Wow Ken, that thing is clean as they get. First thing I thought of when I saw the picture was a banana milkshake, and I like banana milkshakes. Stunning.

The fingerboard looks very curved, almost like a double bass, or is that just the photo?

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:34 am

That is a looker Ken, you won't lose that one on a dark stage!. Beautiful neck. I had an L-2000 fretless with an ebony board but sadly it was a 4 string. They are awesome. -- Darwin

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 am

Jos - I was thinking the colors could warn listeners about my lousy intonation on fretless...

KF - Thanks! On the other hand, I love your knack for finding well-worn beauties.

Jamie - The fingerboard is actually pretty flat. I think it's most likely a 12" radius, but it almost seems a touch flatter. I will check that during the string change.

Darwin - Thanks! Last night I set it on a stand next to the blue SC-3 in my avatar. They look really good together. When this yellow finish is next to the Leo-era SC solid colors, it blends in perfectly. Kind of like a bowl of candy...

Ken

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Ken - That is a stunning Leo era bass! Congratulations! :clap:

Greg.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Cool bass!

Looks '87 era, and is it just my limited sample size, or were they not as good at side markers then vs. 1984?

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks Brock! It's an '89 according to the date stamps, and that fact that it's not listed in the production log (thanks again Larry!) suggests an employee build. That definitely fits with the unusual neck profile and all the off-menu options. I hadn't noticed the off-kilter position marker, but I'm sure it will be obvious to me from now on. Fortunately I don't look at the fingerboard when I play fretless..

I noticed that I hadn't updated the original post after the strings arrived. I went with Pyramid Gold flats, and love the feel and tone. They are my go-to bass string now. They're a bit more expensive than the LaBellas I've been using, but IMO they're worth it. I'm going to order a set of their nickel round wounds for guitar that's inbound.

Ken

Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:09 am

Ken,

Fantastic!

y2kc