Maple body s500. Weight? Tone?

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:09 pm

What to expect from a maple body rosewood fretboard s500?

Its a signature series from '91.

Im looking foward to being a g&l owner and player. First post here.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Maple body s500. Weight? Tone?

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:52 pm

mRRN124 wrote:What to expect from a maple body rosewood fretboard s500?

Its a signature series from '91.

Im looking foward to being a g&l owner and player. First post here.

Thanks in advance.

Something close to sonic nirvana. The Leo designed MFD pups seem to have a kind of mojo not heard anywhere else with a maple body on about any G&L with that configuration I own. The fretboard wood has some minimal influence on the sound but is more driven by what players likes to run their finger on/over. At the time of the Signature series, S-500 pups had undergone several modifications compared to the pups introduced in the early-'80s. These later pups are a little hotter with more windings and have round corner pup covers instead of the square corners on the early pups. But it is definitely worth getting.

- Jos

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Really helpfull. Thanx.

I have no chance to try the guitar. And my other posible buy its an alder body roosewood fretboard, but new s500. With proper papers.

Any other input in this a/b would be appreciated. Im aware that just feeling the guitar would give me the answer. But cant do that.

Max respect on the knowleadge of this forum.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:07 pm

The only S-500 I've experienced is my mahogany 1982, but I do have three Strat-types with maple bodies (the '82-ish SC-3 in my avatar, an '83 Nighthawk and an '86 Skyhawk). All of them are magnificent.

Personally, I am a big fan of Leo-era guitars with maple bodies. There was a lot of variability in the lumber supply during the early days, so it's hard to predict exactly what that S-500 Sig will be like. My maple G&Ls are all over the place in terms of weight. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they range from an '82 SC-1 that's just over six pounds, to an '83 SB-2 that's well over twelve. On the other hand, the SC-3 in my avatar has the exact same body dimensions as the SC-1 but weighs over eight pounds, and I have an '83 SB-1 with the same dimensions as the SB-2 that weighs under seven pounds. They are consistent in terms of tone, though. Jos called it "close to sonic nirvana", but I would go with "pure sonic bliss".

mRRN124 wrote:With proper papers.

If you are concerned about the maple S-500's authenticity, feel free to post some photos if you have them. We are generally pretty good around here about recognizing the details on older G&Ls.

mRRN124 wrote:I have no chance to try the guitar. And my other posible buy its an alder body roosewood fretboard, but new s500.

If the seller has a return policy or guarantees the guitar's condition, I would take a shot at the older one first. You shouldn't have trouble selling it if it's not right for you. A modern S-500 with an alder body shouldn't be hard to find again, but maple S-500s from the pre-BBE days don't show up that often.

Ken

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:17 pm

Thats really intresting.

I ll post pics right away.

Bought it already. I hope its no fake.

Thanx my friend

Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:19 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Something close to sonic nirvana.

I hope its OK to revive a zombie thread here! Saw this thread on maple body S-500s and had to post mine, recently acquired. It dates from 1990 with the "new old style" body and pickups and is finished in nitro. It was in rough shape from lots of playing love when I acquired it. I gave it a refret with jumbo stainless and replaced the DFV (the original one creaked like a rusty barn door and wouldn't return to pitch). Neck has a slightly chunky profile and overall the feel and tone reminds me of a 60s reissue Strat. Only better. Sonic Nirvana is right.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Womderful!

- Jos