New Bass Day! 2 Asats, and an Sc-3 for good measure.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:15 pm

According to the seller this is a 91 Sb-2. Its in great condition for being 24 years old. The previous owner moved the jack to the side, and added an overall tone knob, and replaced the original volume knobs. Havn't had a ton of time to play with her yet, but I'm well chuffed.

Picked up this Sc3 a few months ago.

My first, and still most played G&L. Jumbo MFDs. Sporting my favorite strap. Anthology sources their leather from Saddleback Leather (makers of the finest, most robust, and handsome belts, wallets, and conceal carry holsters), this is their standard strap, in the optional 3 inch wide. The Italias are a bargain, but dont really compare.

Last, this is a ASAT in an HSS I haven't seen before. Some sort of Seymour Duncan in the bridge. Also, if you look closely, below the saddlelock briged, there are indents from a previous bridge, maybe? Or perhaps a g bender? The neck is a very slim profile. The pick guard also seems a bit wonky. Any way to tell if its a pre-bbe, without popping off the neck?
I welcome any insights you gurus might have.

Re: New Bass Day! 2 Asats, and an Sc-3 for good measure.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:23 pm

whoa ... took my breath away ..... you need to show us ONE at a time .... lol ..... you could give a guy a heart attack ..... that's a nice quartet !!

Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:36 pm

@ Fumble fingers
haha, I will make sure to put a warning in the title next time!

Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:01 pm

That's a beautiful collection you have! All you folks with 3 bolts have me gassing for an older G&L.

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:10 pm

That's a beautiful collection. I have been on the hunt for a '91 or earlier SB-2 for a while, but they just don't seem to show up for sale very often. I love that sunburst SC-3!

I think the last guitar is probably a modded ASAT-III from the late 1980s. It may have had a bender or Bigsby at some point, and then received a new Saddle Lock bridge and three-ply pickguard. I believe the originals had black crinkle bridges and pickguards. Chrome bridges did start showing up in limited numbers at the end of the Leo era, though.

Ken

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:18 pm

@Case24
Thanks! I've also got a 2000ish Bluesboy, with a four bolt, and a tribute l2000 with a six bolt(which both play and sound fantastic). But..if I'm honest....I don't love them as much as their 3 bolt siblings...

@KenC
Thanks for the info!
I was hoping I'd be able to find a first generation SC-3, like the handsome one you've got for your avatar there. But I'm really happy with the way this sounds and plays. Lately Ive spent some time transcribing some disco'y funk stuff(of Montreal's new album), so I've been playing the SC-3 quite a bit.