No! It isn't an 1982 SC-2!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:23 pm

On this forum, there are some other posts on instruments and parts of ill repute currently offered in certain marketplaces.

Here's another one.

Things that are wrong:
  • Although the neck definitely is from a pre-BBE SC-2 given the absence of the G&L hook, it is mounted as a 4-bolt to the body.
  • All 1982 SC-2's have a maple body
  • They also were available in only a handful of colors (black, red, white, and blue);
  • They have black crinkle powder-coated hardware
  • They come in a very simple hard-shell case, not a deluxe G&G HSC. And certainly not in a modern Fender-case which is recognizable from the tapered accessory compartment.

Be careful out there. You have to read the title and description very carefully to notice that they correctly claim it is a patched together instrument. I initially misread it for one. But I find it misleading nonetheless. Calling it an ASAT Special with swapped out SC-2 neck would be more accurate than the others way around as it is.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: No! It isn't an 1982 SC-2!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks Jos, that post is informative and educating!

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:02 am

I'm not sure what the original listing was, but now it's "G&L SC-2 Vintage 1982 Neck W/custom G&L ASAT Special Ash Body All USA Parts". I agree that listing it as an SC-2 would be very misleading, especially to a buyer who has not done their research on early G&L models.

On a different point, another SC-2 bites the dust...

Ken

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 am

KenC wrote:I'm not sure what the original listing was, but now it's "G&L SC-2 Vintage 1982 Neck W/custom G&L ASAT Special Ash Body All USA Parts". I agree that listing it as an SC-2 would be very misleading, especially to a buyer who has not done their research on early G&L models.

On a different point, another SC-2 bites the dust...

Ken

I don't think the title of the listing ever changed; I just initially misread it. It's just too easy to stop reading after "SC-2" only to realize that's not the full story by a long shot. I also realize now there would be another problem with this instrument: it does not have a serial number. There isn't one on the neck because the S/N would be on the bridge for a pre-BBE SC-2, and isn't one on the 4-bolt neck plate even if it wasn't a "custom" plate. So noone would even be able to put this "mongel" in the Registry ;-)

And yes, where did that neck come from? Surplus? Parted out SC-2 (shudder)?

- Jos

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:21 am

I read somewhere that total pre BBE G&L production was only 28,000 instruments . Then I'm sure the percentage of SC-2's would be much less than that. If one was parted out that really hurts.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:30 pm

glvourot wrote:I read somewhere that total pre BBE G&L production was only 28,000 instruments . Then I'm sure the percentage of SC-2's would be much less than that. If one was parted out that really hurts.

There were about 600 first style SC-2s (with the Mustang-ish body), and not a whole lot of the second style before they gave way to the Broadcaster. It is a shame to see any of them ruined.

Ken