sulk (radiohead cover) feat. 3 Asats, an SC-3, and a l2000

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm hoping this is the right place to post this.

[youtube]A7NxanVdD-E[/youtube]

I picked up a Music Man 112RP 100 watt amp, last Friday, for an incredible price. Ended up mic'ing that for about 80 percent of the guitar tracks. The rest were recorded directish (I run through my pedal board, to a Two Notes Torpedo CAB, into my AI). Used all three Asats, and my Sc-3 for the guitar tracks. Used my tribute l2000 for the bass, and recorded that direct (via the same set up).
Used impulse in ableton to create a kick/snare loop, and then tapped in the hi hat.

Figured out everything by ear. I think its pretty close for the most part.

I just started playing the bass, and this is still a bit out of my league. I feel like I'm a touch behind on some of the faster, shiftier parts. I'm having a ton of fun learning though. As much as I enjoy my tribute L2000, I'm gassing to get my hands on a Leo era JB4, or possibly as SB2. Nothing beats the 3 bolt microtilt necks...

This is the first time I've tried this format, any tips?

Re: sulk (radiohead cover) feat. 3 Asats, an SC-3, and a l

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Hey nice job on the cover - very cool - and congrats on the MM score…

No tips other than maybe add another guitar track for the intro /beginning… other than that sounds near spot on to me... and that albums is embedded in my DNA ;)

I think you'd do right by an SB-2… I missed a blonde one years back at a Swapmeet in Seattle for $75 with OHSC. Unreal.

Cheers,

KF

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Katefan wrote:Hey nice job on the cover - very cool - and congrats on the MM score…

No tips other than maybe add another guitar track for the intro /beginning… other than that sounds near spot on to me... and that albums is embedded in my DNA ;)

I think you'd do right by an SB-2… I missed a blonde one years back at a Swapmeet in Seattle for $75 with OHSC. Unreal.

Cheers,

KF

I think you're right. It sounds a little thin, and the vocals are a bit too loud.
I must have listened to the Bends twice a day for a year in a half.

I actually just had someone very strongly suggest I check out the Lynx, which some how I had never heard of. It looks like it was later re-branded as an early iteration of the SB-2, and I dont think they made too many of them. I'm a little more likely to be able to try out a Leo era SB-2 in person.

haha, ahh, thats rough. Easily pay $75 for just the case now.

Thanks for checking it out!
Stephen

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm not familiar with that song, but the cover sounds great.

The JBs came along several years after the Leo days, but if you're looking for a Leo-era bass with two single coils an early SB-2 or a Lynx are your options. There were a lot of changes to the SB series in the mid-1980s (just like the SC-2 morphing to a Strat-type body and then to the Broadcaster/ASAT). On the bass side, the SB got a couple of upgrades in 1984 and the name changed to Lynx. The differences that came along with the name change were forearm and belly contours, a couple of different body woods, and rosewood fingerboards. I have an '83 SB-2 and an '86 Lynx, and can assure you that they sound the same. The Lynx is incredibly comfortable to play. That's not knocking the SB-2, but just saying that the Lynx is a couple of steps beyond. I'd put it up with the Interceptor Bass in terms of comfort.

Ken

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:04 pm

KenC wrote:I'm not familiar with that song, but the cover sounds great.

The JBs came along several years after the Leo days, but if you're looking for a Leo-era bass with two single coils an early SB-2 or a Lynx are your options. There were a lot of changes to the SB series in the mid-1980s (just like the SC-2 morphing to a Strat-type body and then to the Broadcaster/ASAT). On the bass side, the SB got a couple of upgrades in 1984 and the name changed to Lynx. The differences that came along with the name change were forearm and belly contours, a couple of different body woods, and rosewood fingerboards. I have an '83 SB-2 and an '86 Lynx, and can assure you that they sound the same. The Lynx is incredibly comfortable to play. That's not knocking the SB-2, but just saying that the Lynx is a couple of steps beyond. I'd put it up with the Interceptor Bass in terms of comfort.

Ken

Thanks for all the info, Ken! I'm officially on the hunt for a Lynx. Its good to know the SB-2 sounds as good, if I can't track one down.

Cheers!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Great job with the cover. I am not familiar with this Radiohead song, but my hobby band covers "Creep."

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Sweet as - sounds like you're on the right path…

LOL - 2x a day - nice.

In case you haven't seen this -

[youtube]-H2O0VXvTNo[/youtube]

Yeah, was a bit bummed but scored my burnt ASAT SIg there a month earlier for a mere $10 so definitelynot complaining…

Good Luck on your bass search!

Cheers,

KF

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Kit wrote:Great job with the cover. I am not familiar with this Radiohead song, but my hobby band covers "Creep."

Thanks for checking it out. Creep is a fun one to cover. Screaming that climax is always going to be a good time.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 pm

@Katefan
$10!?! What kind of swapmeet is this?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:22 pm

It was the now defunct Midway Swapmeet south of Seattle… which was held in the Midway Drive-in Movie Theatre aptly named so because Midway was midway between Seattle and Tacoma…. it probably sounds like it was magical and chock full of Leo-era G&L instruments marked at next to nothing prices but those were the only 2 that surfaced there other that a super cool '76 MM Sunburst Stingray bass for $200… Oh, and I did see an early 90's sunburst Legacy that sold for $400. I
n a way it was a bit magical because it was located kitty corner from where the famous Spanish Castle club that Jimi sings of…

Most swap meets tho are treasure troves of hidden gems amidst heaps of junk…. ya just got to arrive early and sift thru it.. I think Mr Ray would attest to this.
Hey Will - do you still write your column on your cool acquisitions ?

Cheers,
KF

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:37 am

Sounds really good. I'd never try singing a Radiohead song, even in the shower I just hum them, but you do it really well.

I listened for a couple minutes and thought "what is missing?" then I played my copy of Sulk and they have this cool percussive-droning effect going on in the song. I think that's about it.

pretty awesome!

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:40 am

@bloodied_fingers
Thanks for giving it a listen!

I think Ed is doing something with a square wave tremelo, or maybe ambient delay and a slicer. I should have tried to fake it stacking delays and a vibe.

I've been gassing for the Wampler Lattitude tremelo for a while. And EHX just released the Super Pulsar, for around the same price, with a ton of really cool features...

I need to exercise some restraint! I've got plenty of proper nice stomp boxes, I don't need any more....but..

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:53 am

homesick_et: I don't know the song but great job. I like it.

Are you in a band in Madison or flying solo?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am

@lefty_major

Thanks! Nah, haven't been in a band for 5 or 6 years now. I'm not even a weekend warrior. I play in my apt, for my cat... who isn't really into the music I play.
haha, its a fun hobby though, and it keeps me sane.

I'm realizing there seem to be quite a few Wisconsin natives on this forum. That's really cool.

How about you? Play in a band?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:18 pm

A new band up in Appleton. We just started playing out a few places last fall but tough going as we're new, just doing originals, short set, etc. I was going to say, if you get something going on down there we could maybe help each other out. If I email you offline, do you have recommendations for bars, clubs in Madison? Cats are a tough audience, so I'd rather stay clear of that crowd for awhile.

Yeah, I saw another new WI member join in as well. We'll need a new WI G&L topic folder set up soon. ;)

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:36 am

Great job ! Good singing too, keep it up.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:37 pm

@lefty_major
I think the better clubs I've played are the High Noon, and the Frequency. Both smaller clubs, but had great experiences with the sound guys, monitoring, etc..
But the Barrymore, Majestic, Crystal Corner, Orpheum, Brink Lounge, and Inferno are all decent spots too. All those spots put on lots of events as well, not concerts strictly, but art shows, etc...where music acts play. Might also be a good way of getting a short set, and getting in touch with the bookers.

I think you're route of going 'show for show' with bands is a good way to get your foot in a venue, and its a lot easier from there to book w/o the cosign.

@glvourot
Thanks! The chorus is a tough one to sing, as its not falsetto. The final time, with the full step key change is always a bit rough for me.
For whatever reason, my favorite songs to sing, are the ones just out of my reach..Jeff Buckley, Thom Yorke, Mars Volta/Circa Survive etc..

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:43 am

Thanks homesick_et