SC-3 Fan

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:08 pm

I play sc-3's. Somehow they became to be known as one of Leo's "student guitars". What the hell does that mean?

These guitars for me are Leo and George hitting their stride. Simple and pure just like an early strat.

If you ever get the chance to play one of these gems, enjoy every moment. Savor every note and thank Mr. Leo Fender for never taking his eye off the target.

Y2kc

Re: SC-3 Fan

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:42 pm

y2kc wrote:I play sc-3's. Somehow they became to be known as one of Leo's "student guitars". What the hell does that mean?

I choose to believe it means solid color .
The SC line was no frills perfection !

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:15 am

I thought SC meant "single coil". The S-500 had been in production for a couple of months when they came out in late '82, but everything else up to that point had used humbuckers.

I've read that SB meant "standard bass" (I think it was in George Fullerton's book). I wonder if the SC series would have been SG instead it that name wasn't already in use by Gibson. It would fit with the HG model that followed.

y2kc wrote:hese guitars for me are Leo and George hitting their stride. Simple and pure just like an early strat.

If you ever get the chance to play one of these gems, enjoy every moment. Savor every note and thank Mr. Leo Fender for never taking his eye off the target.

I always end up going back to my early SC models. I prefer hardtails, so my SC-1s and "new" SC-2 get most of the action. There is nothing else like these guitars.

Ken

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:47 am

Elwood- There are certainly non solid color examples of the sc-3 floating around. I don't think I have seen a burst sc-1 or 2.

I have no idea what sc stood for. I like to think it stands for super cool.

Ken- Don't let the trem stop you from playing that nice sc-3. If it really bugs you then slide some wood into the trem cavity and block it. Those early pickups in that guitar are magical when adjusted properly. I find that many are a tad high.

I have sc-3's with trems, blocked trems and saddle lock bridges. I am a fan.

Y2kc

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:16 pm

y2kc wrote:Elwood- There are certainly non solid color examples of the sc-3 floating around. I don't think I have seen a burst sc-1 or 2.

good point, in the beginning I think they were just solid color

y2kc wrote:I have no idea what sc stood for. I like to think it stands for super cool.

That's what I'll tell people from now on . :happy0065:

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:18 pm

there was a Leo era burst SC 2 in the market place a few months ago from Cincinatti

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:53 pm

KenC wrote:I've read that SB meant "standard bass" (I think it was in George Fullerton's book). I wonder if the SC series would have been SG instead it that name wasn't already in use by Gibson. It would fit with the HG model that followed.

That's sound reasoning :thumbup:

Fumble fingers wrote:there was a Leo era burst SC 2 in the market place a few months ago from Cincinatti

it wasn't an SC-3? I've yet to see an SC-1,2 burst as best as I can remember.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:29 pm

SC 2 for sure

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:24 pm

I've seen pre BBE SC-2 in burst. There are pictures in the Introduction sub forum. See thread "New Here, and Kind of Clueless". Don't know to link it.

That SC-3 on eBay is giving me GAS.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks Witsok !

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:07 pm

y2kc wrote:I play sc-3's.

These guitars for me are Leo and George hitting their stride. Simple and pure just like an early strat.

Y2kc

You are right! I was at band practice this past Monday and it struck me how great my SC-3 sounded. The tone has a kind of clarity that is hard to describe, only my Yamaha SG1500 may be a match for it. And position 2 has a much more pronounced quack than any of my other strat-style guitars. And to know that it is perhaps the guitar that I acquired for the least amount of money is priceless. The only downside is that it hums with the wiring in certain environments.

I am an SC-3 fan.

Kit

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:45 am

Tim,

That sc-3 is sweet.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:04 pm

A couple of years ago a member here had a sunburst '82 or '83 SC-3 for sale on his website. I ended up just missing it, and have kicked myself ever since.

Elwood wrote:it wasn't an SC-3? I've yet to see an SC-1,2 burst as best as I can remember.

I've never seen a 'burst SC-1, but I've seen two 'burst SC-2s (first body style) for sale in the past couple of years. There was the one Eric mentioned in the Marketplace, and another one that a GbL member found at Guitar Center.

My impression has been that the 'bursts in the SC/SB series had matte finishes, but I did acquire this '83 SB-2 from another forum member a couple of years ago:

It has the nicest high-gloss sunburst I've ever seen, as well as a glossy neck. I'm not sure what the history was, but I have to suspect G&L was trying to show off the figure in the body and the neck. They were definitely back to matte sunbursts by the time the revised SB-1 was released. Here's my example from early 1986:

Ken

Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:50 am

HiGuys,
Here's a few clips of SC-3's i hadn't seen before,
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

They do sound good dont they,, :D
Cheers
G
Last edited by Craig on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin put videos inline for easier viewing.