NGD - Early '80s SC-2

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Some days things just come together nicely. I've just had a couple of those days.

About two weeks ago I decided to sell off an '83 SC-2 that I bought a year or two ago as a rescue/project. Everything was intact, but a previous owner had done stupid things to the finish and replaced some of the hardware. It was a great player, but every time I looked at it the previous owner's mods made me angry. I had put out feelers about selling it before, but never brought myself to advertising it. Weekend before last I stopped by my local used guitar shop to see if they would be interested in taking it on consignment, and discovered this beauty sitting out a thirty-day police hold in the back room:

After a brief posting in the Marketplace with no nibbles, the shop took the project SC-2 as a partial trade. The police hold was over this past weekend, so the "new" SC-2 came home with me on Sunday afternoon. I haven't been able to get pics at home yet, but I did get several in the shop the day I found it. Here is the headstock, and the nicely quartersawn neck with a bit of birdseye:

One interesting thing about this SC-2 is the neck profile. It has the same dimensions and general feel as any of the other SC models I've owned, but it has a distinct "U" shape. All of my other SCs have a smooth taper from the fret board to the back of the neck (more of a "C" or "D" shape). This one has about a 1/4" flat section coming off the fret board and the a distinct edge before it tapers to the back of the neck. I had been playing for a couple of hours last night before I noticed that. It feels fine to me, but just goes to show the little differences you'll find with the hand-built Leo-era G&Ls.

There's something right about having the serial number stamped on the bridge - no need for a microwave tag :lol: :

The one slight cosmetic issue with this guitar is a bit of rust on the jack, and a hint of rust stain on the finish near the strap button. There must have been a close call with rising water at some point in this guitar's past:

For a tone report, this guitar is everything an SC-2 should be. It has a nice full neck pickup and a lot of bite from the bridge pup. The middle position is very crisp and clear. The output is hot enough to push my Fender Champ at low volumes. The controls are nice and smooth. It pairs perfectly with my mid-1970s Champ, but as I was deciding which tremolo pedal to throw in the signal chain I couldn't help thinking it would pair even better with a vintage Vibro Champ.

I had to stop by the same guitar shop on the way home from work today to return a pedal that didn't work out (a different topic, for the bass players). Just as I was opening the door to walk out I asked a salesman if they had gotten anything good in since Sunday. His answer was "not much, just an old Fender amp." New Amp Day post to follow, as soon as another thirty-day police hold is over...

Ken

Re: NGD - Early '80s SC-2

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Oh my that's a beauty !! ..... congrats on the new SC2 ..... I would love to have a saddle lock SC2

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:Oh my that's a beauty !! ..... congrats on the new SC2 ..... I would love to have a saddle lock SC2

Thanks! I do think I prefer this one over my red '82 with a DFV. Both guitars feel and sound equally great, but I just like the feel of a hardtail.

Ken

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Way to go Ken, apparently Karma is with you now! :cheers:

She's a beauty, play on

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:36 pm

I am always impressed with your acquisitions Ken, that is indeed a beauty. I am very envious of all the great shops you have access to to find these guitars. Next to impossible to find any early G&L's in my neck of the woods. Since I found my first Leo era in December I haven't played anything else. Nice tone report too !

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:56 am

Ken, very nice SC 2. You are on a roll with that and a new amp! -- Darwin

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 am

what do you think this SC 2 weighs ??

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:05 am

Good move,

y2kc

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Thanks, all!

Fumble fingers wrote:what do you think this SC 2 weighs ??

It's a hair under 6.5 pounds.

Ken

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Nice one, congrats :thumbup:

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Congrats on your score Ken!

Looks like a cuzzie to my hard tail SC-1… large dots, kluson style tuners and about the same weight. Also has a similar bit of rust on the control plate...

Cheers,

KF

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:16 pm

those two look like first cousins !! .... sweet SC 1 KF

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:20 am

KenC wrote:Some days things just come together nicely.

What a sweetie ! ( yours too KF )

I'm looking forward to more pics, that might help keep me from looking for one myself...but it might be too late :think: :)

congrats!

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Wow, that's stunning! Big thumbs up to the serendipity of the acquisition (guitar and amp) :)

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:15 pm

KF,

I love the SC-1. Did you get it within the last year or two? I remember a white one being in the Marketplace.

Ken

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:16 pm

What a score Ken! Great looking guitar. Guess that is the ultimate definition of "trading up"!

- Jos

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Great looking SC-2 Ken! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear about the amp as well. :happy0065:

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:03 am

Great buy Ken.

I'm kind of pissed at myself that I didn't take that black SC-2 when offered it :x

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:47 am

Great looking piece Ken! Should pair nicely with that new amp you have coming at the 31 day mark. ;)

I was considering your project SC2 but I just have too much "life" going on and too much gear I need to sell first, amps, guitars, motorcycle.... sheesh.

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Cheers ya'll…

Yeah Ken - bought it 2 years ago via the marketplace… it's' more faded (darker yellow) than the photos show. I really dig it but am looking to move it on as its not getting much playtime these days…

Cheers,
KF

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:23 pm

KF.

You need to trade that sc-1 to someone. Seriously. Just get it out of there.

y2kc

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Katefan wrote: it's' more faded (darker yellow) than the photos show.

Mine is the same. I have an '84 Interceptor Bass and an '86 Skyhawk that are also white, but both of them have turned to a creamier shade. The SC-2 is much darker.

Ken