Mel Tillis Signed ASAT...

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Here's a cool 80's ASAT I picked up a few years back… according to the previous owner it was found in a pawnshop in Eastern WA.
Just a few miles on it plus signed by Mr. Mel Tillis…. The case sports a Wall Drug sticker and another from Pasadena, TX.
It has a very nice (slightl V) neck w/ a great worn in feeling and sounds sweet as!

Here's a few of the many tunes Mr. Tillis penned…

[youtube]rX6nxb5jn-U[/youtube]

[youtube]C1e9p6J89rQ[/youtube]

[youtube]oMM-OrDhgaM[/youtube]

Cheers,

KF

Re: Mel Tillis Signed ASAT...

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:15 pm

KF, That is one cool guitar. This is how a relic should be, probably some of the most honest wear you could find. The bottom edge of the headstock looks like it has been rubbing cymbals or a mic stand for years. Thanks for the photos.-- Darwin

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:36 pm

KF thanks for sharing, that brings back memories for sure. That ASAT just oozes cool, no pre-fab "road worn, relic, antiquity" BS on that one. A keeper for sure. We all need a Wall Drug sticker. :evilgrin: If ga ever get to the South Dakota that is one tourista extravaganza and sweet part of the country.

Any chance you'll take her apart and get the stamp date?

Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 am

Cheers Darwin - you're welcome. Yes definitely and I'm sure its seen its share of honky tonks in various towns and cities… Very interesting your observation re the headstock - never thought of that -- makes sense.

Hey Sam - sure thing… yeah, I really dig it . LOL...good to know bout So.Dakota.

Nah, I removed the control plate to check solder joints as I was curious regarding the originality of the pickups b/c the pole pieces seemed so clean. All checked out as being original but stopping there as want to keep it as it is plus its dial'd in perfectly.
My guess is its an early body and an '87 neck being how the fingerboard is rosewood… will checked the registry tho and get it in there should it not be already.

Hey Tim, Very true - Thanks!

Cheers,

KF

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 am

Wow another really cool asat and a Waylon video to boot. I am a big Waylon fan and was able to catch him here in Chicago once. I really like the tele he played and do believe his son Shooter is playing it now. Well he is playing one that looks like it.

That Asat is beautiful! What else are you hiding over there?

y2kc

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:05 am

KF

Come on, your guitars are all beat up or burned or whatever. Not cool. Its time to get rid of those things and get some new stuff. Let me know when you need help .

y2kc

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:03 am

That guitar is way cool. Yours and one Elwood posted awhile back are what my guitar would look like if it had been played. Lots of honest mojo in yours. FYI my asat has a rosewood neck that has an 86 date on it, so yours could be too.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks for that bit of info glvourot. Congrats on your new addition!

Cheers Casey - Ha, there's a few more here and there ;) LOL - good observation & a nice try… Not all of them are but yeah, the majority tend to be...

Wow - lucky you - wish I could have seen Waylon. Truly one of the greats!

Some vids…

[youtube]tqCRwu2aDEs[/youtube]

[youtube]uUZckSdDxsY[/youtube]

[youtube]i0Cz89rnQHE[/youtube]

Cheers,

Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Man oh man! Builders can churn out all the relics they want, but nothing looks as cool as a well loved and road worn guitar! That's a beauty.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:08 pm

y2kc wrote:Wow another really cool asat and a Waylon video to boot. I am a big Waylon fan and was able to catch him here in Chicago once. I really like the tele he played and do believe his son Shooter is playing it now. Well he is playing one that looks like it.

That Asat is beautiful! What else are you hiding over there?

y2kc

I hated to do this, but I just couldn't pass up the chance to show off my two Tele's since you like Waylon. Sorry did'nt mean to steal your threat KF

BTW, KF love that road worn ASAT.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Hey, no problem GJ - VERY COOL - just like Hoss's!

Thanks, me too ;)

Cheers,
KF