Trem block SC3

Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:34 am

Hi guys
Could someone tell me if the trem block on this SC3 is a backyard special or did some company actually make these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-SC-3-Vintag ... 1c4b7b3567
Thanks
Geoff

Re: Trem block SC3

Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:48 am

That is genuine G&L.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:28 am

Ty Sprinter, its the first time i have ever seen this option. It could be desirable to a collector if its rare and i'm guessing it is, am i right?

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:26 pm

geoff douglas wrote:Hi guys
Could someone tell me if the trem block on this SC3 is a backyard special or did some company actually make these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-SC-3-Vintag ... 1c4b7b3567
Thanks
Geoff

It was called a Vibrato Bridge Lock and like Sprinter said, is a genuine G&L part.

See this 1988 Skyhawk Ad Slick:

This is the only G&L Ad reference I have ever seen of this device. I've only seen a few pictures of G&L guitars with them installed.

It is described in the Patents for the Fine Tuner Bridge, see : D4674389 and D4724737.

I have no idea if they add any value to that instrument.

Hope this helps some.

:ugeek:

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Here's a close up photo of the Leo Fender tremolo block. It says "by Leo Fender" on it!

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks for the info guys, we live and learn don't we,,
Cheers
G

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:37 pm

geoff douglas wrote:Thanks for the info guys, we live and learn don't we,,
Cheers
G

This was a perfect example of Leo's engineering sensibilities. Form follows function, gave no care if it reminds the player (as it does me) of a window screen retainer tab. It was simple and it worked, elegant design bordering on Spartan. If it were prettier, perhaps it would have stuck around.

The Fine Tuner Bridge is one thing I find to be very pretty and functional, and yet the overly complicated Floyd Rose became the industry standard. Proof that marketing often times trumps superior design ideas.