See and hear sample videos of Leo's last instrument ...

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Dave posted this on the G&L facebook page:

Leo's last instrument: what did the genius have in mind? We've decided to embark on a search to find out.
Dave Nicholson, a former G&L employee in the early '90s, stopped by and we handed him this mythical creation.
It's not been setup since the day Leo passed away. — in Fullerton, CA.

phpBB [video]

In response to a couple of posts:
G&L Musical Instruments Skip and Tom McNalley - nobody's really played this before and it's way out of adjustment after 23 years.
He's a fine bass player, but is this a bass? A guitar? Leo called it a 6-string bass. We've called it a baritone. Our quest begins.

G&L Musical Instruments Tim - we can label the parts, but "what is it?" is more of a philosophical question.
That's what we want to know. That's the quest. Since you mentioned F-100, each humbucker is constructed of what appears to be paired early S-500 pickups.
He could have just used F-100 humbucking pickups, maybe wound differently, but he didn't. He chose early S-500 pickups as the basis.
We'll need to dig deep to discover why.

G&L Musical Instruments Davey - that's a natural conclusion, but there are bits about this that make us think he was trying to stretch it or go in a different direction.

:thumbup: :alright: :happy0065:

Here's the link to photos posted previously: This is the last instrument created by Leo Fender.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added link to the post of photos of this instrument.

Re: See and hear a sample video of Leo's last instrument ...

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:03 pm

hmmmm...would a set-up be sacrilege or the right thing to do?

The low E sounds good , seems like there is an instrument in there somewhere :eh:

thx for relaying the facebook post Craig,

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks Craig! :thumbup:

I have always been intrigued by this mythical instrument. Not sure about it but do agree with Elwood,

seems like there is an instrument in there somewhere

Way cool stuff

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:04 pm

If G&L built a model based faithfully on this instrument, I would buy it. I would even move out one of my Leo-era keepers to make room for it.

sam wrote:Thanks Craig! :thumbup:

I have always been intrigued by this mythical instrument. Not sure about it but do agree with Elwood,

seems like there is an instrument in there somewhere

Way cool stuff

Being a New Order fan from back in the very early '80s, I could find plenty of ways to make this sound great (or at least have serious fun trying). Think Peter Hook on Ceremony or Dreams Never End:

[youtube]9pr6SxJb-Dw[/youtube]

[youtube]GXuRe0GkXyA[/youtube]

Ken

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 am

I like that! Definitely an instrument in there not too far beneath the surface. When's the release date planned for? ;)

Re: See and hear sample videos of Leo's last instrument ...

Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Here's another video G&L posted on their facebook page:

Leo Fender's last instrument: our friend Tom McNalley stopped by to explore what it can do. Leo called it a 6-string bass.
We've called it a baritone. Nobody knows what was in the mind of the genius, but we're searching for answers.

phpBB [video]