SC-3

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:25 pm

These old G&L's are a pleasure to play. There also isn't two exactly alike.

If you had a bunch of Sc-3's to choose from and compare to each other I think you would find that they each have their own voice. This can be said about most of Leo's G&L guitars. The fact that everything was done "old school" without the aid of cnc machines meant that each guitar was a one of a kind. Great guitars.

Just sayin,

y2kc

Re: SC-3

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:13 pm

I should have kept this one -

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:52 pm

An '87-ish SC-3 is my #1 for one of the bands I play in. I love the grit and grind of the pickups. They absolutely scream. People ask me about it all the time. Great freakin guitar!

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:14 pm

I only have one SC-3:

I do have a pair of SC-1s and both styles of SC-2:

That last pic was taken by the previous owner, who is a much better photographer than I am (and a great person to buy a guitar from! :) ).

y2kc wrote:If you had a bunch of Sc-3's to choose from and compare to each other I think you would find that they each have their own voice. This can be said about most of Leo's G&L guitars. The fact that everything was done "old school" without the aid of cnc machines meant that each guitar was a one of a kind. Great guitars.

Very true! I find that the black second-style SC-2 hanging on the wall has bumped the near-mint red '82 several places down the go-to list. It just has a slight edge in tone and playability for me. The red one is still an amazing guitar, so maybe they'll switch positions at some point. The two SC-1s are much closer to each other in feel and tone. Back to the topic, though, I doubt I would find nearly as much individuality in a modern, CNC-cut guitar or bass.

I was playing the '86 Skyhawk earlier this evening, and when I hung it back on the wall I ran my hand down the neck of the '83 Nighthawk next to it. They share the same neck profile, but I could definitely feel a difference between them where the sides of the neck meet the fretboard. That's part of the Leo-era charm: each instrument was unique.

Ken

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:22 pm

Here are my 2, a Black 1st body style and a Bahama Blue 2nd body style both '84:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Great guitars indeed!

- Jos

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:53 am

I love playing mine. It just feels right, and the fretboard is among the best of my guitars.

I used it here at an open mic with my hobby band:

[youtube]Two6QpRw4d8[/youtube]

[youtube]UeimjRRBIyI[/youtube]

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Kit's Sc-3 is a beauty. That red is fantastic.

Jos- My first sc-3 was a saddle lock version exactly like yours I paid $240.00 for it and still play it from time to time.

Ken- Man I knew that bench and rug looked familiar. I am glad you are happy with it. The Sc-3 I am playing is just like yours. Same color, age etc.

Elwood- Don't we all have guitars we wish we hadn't sold. Take a look at Ken's post.

scelerat- The pick ups are great and they dig it when you push the vol. knob.