I once asked Dale Hyatt

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Of all the years (1946 to 1991) that Dale had worked and partnered with Leo Fender, I once asked him what was his prized possession.
Of all the tweeds and all the strats and all the Teles, he pointed at this picture on his wall.
That's my Daughter Sarah holding the picture.
The photo was inadvertently destroyed one week after Dale passed away.
Thank You for everything Dale.
RIP.

Re: I once asked Dale Hyatt

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:54 pm

That speaks volumes about the passion it takes to create and sustain an instrument company ,
(especially if noone has done it that way before).

Thanks for the insight HLG . It's good you have a photo of the picture before it's demise.

elwood

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Elwood wrote:That speaks volumes about the passion it takes to create and sustain an instrument company ,
(especially if noone has done it that way before).

Thanks for the insight HLG . It's good you have a photo of the picture before it's demise.

elwood

I was speaking with a forum member this evening and Dale was brought up. Although its been over a year and a half since his passing. I really miss him. The mans dignity had no end.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:31 am

That's a really amazing subject title for the majority of us in the forum... Think about it "I once asked Dale Hyatt".

Doesn't get any cooler than that. From what I've learned about this man, thanks to HLG and others, I feel like I also know him. It was his touch that gave G&L it's personality unique from Fender and all the rest.

Thanks for the photo.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:36 am

Wow - Thanks - Very cool. Wish I could have met him. I feel very grateful for his contributions - esp the Broadcaster/ASAT - no disrespect to Mr. Fullerton but from '85 onwards a name change to D&L would have been proper and fitting.

Cheers,
KF

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:07 pm

THUMBSUP

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:55 am

In the late-'80's, maybe 1988, I got to go through the G&L factory. Mr. Hyatt himself showed me around--I was surprised at how small an operation it actually was. A great experience--I was hoping to meet Leo but he wasn't in that day. Halfway through the tour, Dale had to take a phone call and left me in a room with a Comanche prototype (I don't think they were in production yet) and a Randall amp. Through the wall I could hear him yelling at the person on the phone, and I remember being glad that I didn't work for him, but he was nice to me. I asked him about the possibility of getting some of the options that Fender offered in the pre-CBS days, like binding on ASAT's and optional neck widths, and he said that they really didn't want to get into that--and everything I asked for (and then some!) they've subsequently offered!

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:00 am

Cool tidbit. Guess we all have our bad days too, right?

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 am

According to Paul Bechtoldt, Dale pretty much ran everything at G&L and was under a hell of a lot of pressure.

Cheers,
KF

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:36 pm

I remember that day. That was me on the other end of the phone and Dale told me I needed an attitude adjustment. He was tough but fair, and I guess I deserved it.

Live and learn,

y2kc

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:46 am

I know this is a very old thread but I can't resist adding to the story a side of Dale Hyatt that some may not know.

My wife and I bought Dale Hyatt's east Texas home from his estate in late 2014. As I type this, I am sitting in the office where the photo in the original post was taken. Below is a photo taken shortly after we closed on the property. In the neighborhood, the deer is named Freedom. We were totally stunned to say the least. She seemed to trust us simply because we came out of the house. I was told the following story by a neighbor who cared for Dale before he entered assisted living.

The deer was orphaned very young and hand raised by someone in the area until she could make it on her own. However, she was not accepted by the herd in the area and received severe injuries. Dale Hyatt took her in, bandaged her wounds, and nursed her back to health. She stayed close to Dale and his dog until she was strong enough to earn her place in the herd. Several neighbors have told us it was not unusual for Dale to leave the front door open so Freedom could enter house. Often he would sit on the lawn watching Freedom and his dog playing. Freedom is still alive at 18 years old. She occasionally stops by the office door for a visit.

Freedom

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 am

Looks like Freedom still reigns.

Great story & love East Texas too!

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:54 am

tx350z wrote:I know this is a very old thread but I can't resist adding to the story a side of Dale Hyatt that some may not know.

My wife and I bought Dale Hyatt's east Texas home from his estate in late 2014. As I type this, I am sitting in the office where the photo in the original post was taken. Below is a photo taken shortly after we closed on the property. In the neighborhood, the deer is named Freedom. We were totally stunned to say the least. She seemed to trust us simply because we came out of the house. I was told the following story by a neighbor who cared for Dale before he entered assisted living.

The deer was orphaned very young and hand raised by someone in the area until she could make it on her own. However, she was not accepted by the herd in the area and received severe injuries. Dale Hyatt took her in, bandaged her wounds, and nursed her back to health. She stayed close to Dale and his dog until she was strong enough to earn her place in the herd. Several neighbors have told us it was not unusual for Dale to leave the front door open so Freedom could enter house. Often he would sit on the lawn watching Freedom and his dog playing. Freedom is still alive at 18 years old. She occasionally stops by the office door for a visit.

Freedom

This is now my favorite Dale Hyatt story.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 pm

amazing story, thx, Jag!

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:35 am

Wow, what a cool thing. Thanks for sharing that tx340z.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:57 am

I used to buy my guitars from Mr. Hyatt. Super nice guy.