New member: 1983 G&L Cavalier

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am

Hey all. New guy here, and just got my first G&L, a 1983 Cavalier, and am just getting around to posting some pics and my initial review. So far, I love it - big time.

As a long time Fender Strat & Tele player, I'd been drooling over G&L's for decades. This Cavalier is exactly what I wanted - the 2 pickup configuration (I fingerpick a lot), the 1 5/8" nut width, 7.5 radius, the DF trem, matching headstock, ebony fingerboard, exactly as I wanted. Even the case is ex. cond. I've been told that the gold hardware on a Cavalier could be quite rare. I feel lucky in finding this when I did.

The guitar has a great neck, and plays like a dream. The paint is aged, and well worn, but still looks nice. Overall excellent original condition. The trem is blocked from pulling up, but not down, which is just how I would do it. I immediately tuned it down and played "The Rain Song" ... sweeet.

The seller is a member on the forum here, and had posted pics in the past. He was great to deal with.

JT .....

All I need is an early style 3/16" dia. gold trem arm, if anyone should run across one :roll:

Re: New member: 1983 G&L Cavalier

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

that's beautiful !! ... definetly get the new trem arm gold plated that guitar is worthy of it ..... what a beauty !! ... my Cav was modified for a 4 position switch , is your the same way ??

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks Fumble. My switch is 3 position. What is the mod, and the purpose of 4 positions, if I may ask. I've not heard about it yet. Thx.

JT

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Hmm, lots of views, no comments. Is everyone just quiet around here, or does everyone know something about this guitar that I don't know? haha, just kidding ... Maybe I'm used to the Martin forum ... lots of chatter.

Well, to the small band of Cav groupies, I dropped my Cavalier off to my luthier today to get the frets leveled & shaped, and the trem set up. It had a couple of high frets, and some pretty good grooves in the lower ones. This fellow has been around for a long time, and does some of the best fret jobs around, and even though it plays really nice now, it will be beyond belief when he gets it done.

JT

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Sometimes it gets quiet around here, and other times it's busy. Weekends are normally dead.

That is a gorgeous Cavalier. The gold pole pieces were a nice touch. White finishes do not appeal to me on new guitars, but a thirty year old white finish on a G&L always does it for me.

Here's my '83 Cavalier-E:

The back view gives a better idea of how the ash grain looks through the clear red finish.

Ken

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks Ken. Yes, I like the white finish too, after it is aged and yellowed.

Your red one looks great. The transparent red was always one of my favorite G&L colors. Looks nice with the grain showing through.

I notice your '83 has the elongated holes on the back trem cover where the strings go through. Mine has the smaller ones. They must have transitioned that year, maybe?

JT

Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:46 am

I had stainless steel medium jumbo frets installed on my Cav , it's my favorite strat type G&L for sure ..... the 4th position is deeper sound than the neck pup , not sure what was done , either Brad T or Gabe did the mod on it when Brad owned it

Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:14 pm

guitar1580 wrote:I notice your '83 has the elongated holes on the back trem cover where the strings go through. Mine has the smaller ones. They must have transitioned that year, maybe?

JT

'83 was a typo. Mine is actually an '84. I will take a look at some of my other '82-'84 DFVs and see how their holes are.

Ken

Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi JT,

How do you like them pups, especially compared to the Tele you have? How much amp tweaking do you need to do?

- Jos

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:09 pm

I just score my 83 cav and cant seem to post a pic but here is my facebook link to it
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Looks sweet, Lar. I'm sure you'll like it.

I got mine back from getting the frets leveled. It really plays nice. The Cavalier is the perfect model for me.

JT

Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:41 pm

I actually bought two 83's a cavalier and a clear blue night hawk. So best of both worlds covered humbucking anda rad strat style rarebird.
Score!!
And it seems they were a members guitars .brad traweeks
I so want to know the history on these guitars.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm going to be taking these to a luthier here in loveland colorado.they build custom teles at heartland music .com

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:44 am

Just notice the side allen screw on the bridge to lock saddles together is missing on my 83 cavalier?
any idea where I can get one ?
thaks in advance for any help.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:27 pm

its an 83 cavalier with the saddle lock bridge. im not too savy on this site and have not googled the part yet thinking someone might be on line and know where to get a alllen screw to lock the saddles together as im told this helps the sustain?

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:01 pm

I love the idea of the Cavalier, as do many of us here. I have yet to hear one play live and in person. Looks like you got a tremendous instrument. Congrats! ~JagInTheBag