Anxiously Awaiting F100 Delivery

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 am

I placed winning bid on a 1981 F100 on the Bay and it is on the way. Below are photos from the Bay posting. Once I receive, inspect and play it I will update y'all.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/p ... F100-1.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/user/psmith5 ... 1.jpg.html

Baldy

Re: Anxiously Awaiting F100 Delivery

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:45 am

Congrats !! .... looks great ," the wait " is a couple simple word for " self inflicted torture " ..lol

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:42 am

Congratulations. I love the tight grain in the very early ash G&Ls.

Ken

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 am

Here we go - received the F100. First impression: Almost no fret wear. A few dings here and there - nothing I can complain about. Only thing not known was that there is substantial finish checking. It was not really visible in the eBay posting photos. I can live with it.
Ken mentioned the grain. It is awesome. Very similar to oak, especially in this color. The 1 piece maple neck has some flame to it.
After replacing strings, I plugged in to my Marshall amp Artist 4203 (30 watt all tube), and did a comparison to 1985 Skyhawk. No effects, reverb off. This from about 10 minutes of comparison:
In the amp's clean channel, The F100 single coil setting, the bridge pickup is a bit more Tele-like than the Skyhawk's MFD. The neck pickup sounds similar to the Skyhawk neck pickup. In the Humbucker setting, both F100 pickups fatten a bit, but still lighter and brighter than other Humbuckers I have now or previously owned (Gibson, DiMArzio, Duncans). I like it because it seems to have more character and bite than the other Humbucker style pickups, and differentiates them from the others.
Using the amp's overdrive channel (no distortion pedal), the F100 pickups seem to have a bit more grit the the Skyhawk and it is awesome.
When I have a chance to get some good photos, I will post them.

Baldy

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks for the tone report. I had the same impressions of my old ash F-100. There are plenty of tones to pick from, but they are all on the bright side. it's easy enough to darken them up to taste...

Yours looks just like the '80 I sold a couple of months ago, except for the maple fretboard. I'm looking forward to the pics.

Ken