Gold hardware

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi, I posted in the new member area. Getting a 1983 Cavalier that should be here next week. It has gold hardware, and is missing the trem arm. Were the arms on these gold too? I would think, but I haven't seen many with the gold hardware.

I figure it's near impossible to find a gold one. I did see the ESI ones, and I saw the Mustang arms for $7.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to try to locate a gold arm. Thanks.

JT

Re: Gold hardware

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:19 am

Hi there, welcome to the land of vintage G&Ls. I was watching that Cavalier go. Congratulations on a very cool model with some rare features.

I'm not sure where to find a replacement, sorry. Just wanted to confirm that the trem arm IS gold. See pic below for reference (Nighthawk from same era) And to encourage you that even the rare items pop up if you look long enough.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:37 am

you could always have a trem arm gold plated if you can't find one

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi Very ... thanks for confirming. That's a nice looking Hawk... I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of it. I was strongly considering a Nighthawk or Skyhawk, but since I already have a Strat & a Tele, I thought I'd look for something a little different, and the Cavalier is right up my alley.

The fellow from ESI said he can have an arm plated ... but I'm gonna wait and see what the cost is. I'll probably end up with a natural colored one, and can keep watching for a gold one.

I wonder what the production figures are for gold hardware models. I really like the look of it on the white one I'm getting (which could be here any day now).

JT

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:10 pm

guitar1580 wrote:Hi, I posted in the new member area. Getting a 1983 Cavalier that should be here next week. It has gold hardware, and is missing the trem arm. Were the arms on these gold too? I would think, but I haven't seen many with the gold hardware.

I figure it's near impossible to find a gold one. I did see the ESI ones, and I saw the Mustang arms for $7.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to try to locate a gold arm. Thanks.

JT

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31 . Stewmac has them in gold.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Does anyone if this one will work on the '83 Cavalier? It looks different from Very's arm pictured above, but the description says it's for the early USA models. Is anyone familiar with this one?

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... o-arm-gold

JT

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 am

guitar1580 wrote:Does anyone if this one will work on the '83 Cavalier? It looks different from Very's arm pictured above, but the description says it's for the early USA models. Is anyone familiar with this one?

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... o-arm-gold

JT

The Vibrato Arm - G&L Dual Fulcrum (gold plated) is the same size as the Vibrato Arm - G&L Dual Fulcrum (early). You would need to replace the original arm socket with the arm socket used late 1980s through mid 2000s.

From the On-Line Store info on the Vibrato Arm - G&L Dual Fulcrum (early):

Diameter: approximately 0.25" or 6.35mm

If you have an early- to mid-1980s G&L model such as SC-3 or F-100 which uses a screw-in vibrato arm, you can use this style arm by replacing your vibrato arm socket (080170-100) available elsewhere in the G&L Online Store. However, our recommendation is to use a vibrato arm for a USA Fender Stratocaster equipped with the vintage style vibrato. Screw-in Fender Stratocaster vibrato arms are available from many retailers such as Stewart-MacDonald or Allparts. Note that the early G&L vibratos using screw-in arms had black plastic tips. Often retailers will sell replacement arms with white tips but will sell different color arm tips separately.

If you want to keep it as original as possible, I suggest going with either Gabe's (ESI) replacement or get one from Stewart-MacDonald or ALLPARTS.

Hope this helps.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 am

Craig wrote:Diameter: approximately 0.25" or 6.35mm

If you have an early- to mid-1980s G&L model such as SC-3 or F-100 which uses a screw-in vibrato arm, you can use this style arm by replacing your vibrato arm socket (080170-100) available elsewhere in the G&L Online Store. However, our recommendation is to use a vibrato arm for a USA Fender Stratocaster equipped with the vintage style vibrato. Screw-in Fender Stratocaster vibrato arms are available from many retailers such as Stewart-MacDonald or Allparts. Note that the early G&L vibratos using screw-in arms had black plastic tips. Often retailers will sell replacement arms with white tips but will sell different color arm tips separately.

If you want to keep it as original as possible, I suggest going with either Gabe's (ESI) replacement or get one from Stewart-MacDonald or ALLPARTS.

One thing I'm unclear on. Does my '83 Cavalier have a screw in arm like a Strat or an unthreaded one like a Mustang? I just got it and it did not come with an arm. The gold arms at StewMac seem to be threaded, or too large a diameter. Sorry for the confusion on this. I'm new to G&L.

JT

Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 am

guitar1580 wrote:
Craig wrote:Diameter: approximately 0.25" or 6.35mm

One thing I'm unclear on. Does my '83 Cavalier have a screw in arm like a Strat or an unthreaded one like a Mustang? I just got it and it did not come with an arm. The gold arms at StewMac seem to be threaded, or too large a diameter. Sorry for the confusion on this. I'm new to G&L.

JT

Does the arm socket have the allen screw on the side of it? If so, then the trem arm should be the unthreaded one. If not, then it will be the threaded one.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:02 am

Yes, it has the set screw, and appears to be the smaller diameter. It's nowhere near 6mm. Looks like maybe 5mm or slightly less ... or 3/16". So I guess it's like the Mustang bar. If I can't find the gold one, I'll get one from Gabe.... also found the set screws & nylon inserts on the G&L website store. Thanks for all the help.

JT

Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:59 pm

guitar1580 wrote:Yes, it has the set screw, and appears to be the smaller diameter. It's nowhere near 6mm. Looks like maybe 5mm or slightly less ... or 3/16". So I guess it's like the Mustang bar. If I can't find the gold one, I'll get one from Gabe.... also found the set screws & nylon inserts on the G&L website store. Thanks for all the help.

JT

Just make sure to order the correct Tension Screw Set: For US instruments 2005 and older, select the Tension Screw Set (pre-2005).

Once you get all the parts together, please post a photo or two of your Cavalier. And don't forget to add it to (or update existing entry in) our G&L Registry.