Got an old SC-3

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:38 pm

I'm really just lucky to be alive after drinking all the Fender Koolaid...This is my third G&L..I have just over $1500 in vested in a cherry 2008 Fullerton red ASAT special, a 1992 Black ASAT Special and this little beauty, a 1983ish SC-3 painted black with white pups which I read are pretty rare..This guitar kicks some booty...Thanks for this great site, now back to my regularly scheduled practice session..

Re: Got an old SC-3

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:50 pm

what a great first post !! ..... that thing looks great

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:47 am

The early SC-3s are great guitars (see my avatar). I haven't seen white pup covers with anything but blue finishes before (again, see my avatar).

Ken

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Here is some info I dug up...

"When introduced in 1982, the SC/SB series was available in plain Red, White or Blue finishes. The SC-3 and SB-1 seen here are blue, but with age their finishes have yellowed slightly, giving them a teal-like color." "The 1984 examples shown here are in Black, a finish option added later." and, "What’s unusual is that these are rarer white pickup covers (most were black). Accounts vary as to how many early Leo-era G&L instruments were given white pickups, but Paul Bechtoldt, author of G&L: Leo’s Legacy, claims to have a hand-written note from G&L co-founder Dale Hyatt saying only a few dozen guitars or basses had such covers."

Source: http://www.vintageguitar.com/3889/gl-scsb-series/

What great guitars these are!

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:30 pm

They are great. My favorites are a hard tail SC-1 and an SB-1.

What's the weight like on your SC-3? Mine is much heavier than any of my other SC-series.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Ken