NGD - '81 G-200

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:38 pm

After four years of waiting, I finally found a G-200. When Elwood posted the PSA for this one a couple of weeks ago, I balked at the price and the seller's no returns policy on eBay. When it was still for sale the next afternoon, my resistance failed and I gave the seller a call. He was willing to budge on the price and offer a return policy. I've only had about an hour's playing time on it, but so far I have to say it was worth the wait. I won't be taking him up on that return policy.

I haven't had a chance to get good pics yet, but here are a couple taken by the seller:

I'll take some photos in the daylight tomorrow and update the post with them.

I've been a bit surprised by this guitar so far. I had never seen a G-200 in person or heard one before this afternoon, but I had managed to build up quite a few pre-conceptions over the past couple of years. Here are a few surprises that come to mind right off:

1. It is a lot smaller than I was expecting. The pictures I'd seen had left me with the impression that the lower part of the body (between the bridge and the strap button) would be really wide. In reality, it's an inch wider than my SC-3 at the widest point, and about half an inch narrower at the waist than the SC-3. With the top and back contours (compared to an SC model's slab body) it feels about the same to me - or maybe even a bit smaller - than a first-style SC model.

2. The neck is unlike any other Leo-era G&L I've played. Part is the shorter 24.75" scale, but it also feels shallower front-to-back than any of my other Leo-era guitars. It felt strange to me at first, but after a couple of minutes I was very comfortable with it.

3. The finish doesn't look like any of the G-200 photos I've seen, even the ones of this exact guitar. All of the photos I've seen of natural mahogany G-200s have the light, almost amber, glow that's in the photos I posted above. In person, the finish is much more brownish. It's not quite the "Clear Root Beer" of Natural Gloss over mahogany on F-100s and L-series basses. It's definitely lighter than that, and is satin rather than gloss. The closest thing I've seen to it has been the middle of the satin sunburst on an '86 SB-1. It's a nice look IMO, but just not what photos had me expecting.

4. The sound is unreal. There is a good reason people who have played these guitars rave about the tone. There's a switch to select between humbucking, single coil, or single coil with a treble cut. The humbucking mode is very full and ballsy in all three pickup combinations - more than my mahogany F-100, and much more than my old ash F-100. The single coil mode is decent, but not quite as full to my ears as the large MFD on an SC-2 or ASAT. The real surprise for me was the single coil with treble cut mode. I haven't checked the wiring diagrams yet, but the description in product brochures sounds just like the "OMG" circuit on L-1000 basses. It certainly sounds like the guitar equivalent of an L-1000's OMG mode. My impression so far (and at low amp volumes) has been that the G-200's OMG is just as full sounding as the humbucking mode, but with a bit more crunch and bite thrown in.

I'm not sure what else to add right now, except that there will be a couple of BBE-era basses hitting the Marketplace in the next couple of days to cover the cost of this beauty and keep me to my one-in-one-out rule.

Ken

Re: NGD - '81 G-200

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:49 pm

KenC wrote: I won't be taking him up on that return policy.

Ken

:happy0065: :happy0065: :happy0065:

Really cool news!!!

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Beautiful !! ...... that really is the guitar G&L should consider doing again

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Ken,

Really glad it ended up with you! I followed that auction and it was prematurely ended twice: once when it had a BIN, once when it started with a $0.99 and couldn't really understand what happened. But all's OK now! Enjoy my friend, because that piece looks really good!

:happy0065: :happy0065:
- Jos

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:34 am

Congratulations!
I had also followed the listing. While I would love to own one someday, it was out of my reach.

I am very glad you were able to get it. And especially glad that you are pleased with it!

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:46 am

Congrats Ken and thanks for the the run down.

I have preconceptions for sure, never seeing / playing one, but from what you have described those pups have some killer voices. :happy0065:

Now if they would just put those pups and swithes on an ASAT :evilgrin:

Rock on and enjoy yer new gitar!!!

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Ken, very fine looking G-200. You have some rare ones. -- Darwin

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Great score Ken! Love the switching options. Hanging out here and learning from you veterans really stokes the GAS for older G&Ls!!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:22 am

Nice one, Ken. Looking forward to some more pics of it