1984 Interceptor for sale (Question regarding price)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi all, is anyone interested in this for their collection?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-L-rare-vin ... cda&_uhb=1

Would this be regarded as expensive for this model?
Cheers
Geoff

Re: 1984 Interceptor for sale (Question regarding price)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:58 pm

they don't come up often from what I see , I would say it priced more than fair but there are others on here more qualified than me , we'll see what the experts say , KenC and Yowhatshakin will know for sure

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:21 pm

geoff douglas wrote:Hi all, is anyone interested in this for their collection?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-L-rare-vin ... cda&_uhb=1

Would this be regarded as expensive for this model?
Cheers
Geoff

Hey Geoff,

Just checked the latest online edition of the Blue Book of Guitar Values and it lists the Interceptor bass between $1,150 when practically new, $1,050 when Mint, $750 when Excellent, and then gradually down to $450 when in Good condition.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks guys,

I thought it might have been on the high side but i guess it comes down to how much a person wants that guitar for his/her collection or as a player. I posted the add primarily for the collectors in the states, if anyone there is interested in it i am happy to help in anyway, i will even deliver it for the cost of an air ticket, lol,,
Cheers
Geoff

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:19 am

Hi Geoff,

Couple of things. The prices I quoted are USD whereas the eBay add is in AUD (1AUD = 0.93 USD). So the price would be around US$1,395. Second, seems that it is pick-up only so not really tailored to US collectors. Although, I can appreciate you trying to get a plane ticket out of this for your intermediary services to get it to this side of the ocean ;-)

- Jos

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi Geoff,

Interceptor Basses don't come up for sale very often. I have seen a couple listed over the past 2-3 years, and they seem to go for about $1,000 - $1,200 (USD). Guitar Center has had a Cherryburst one (just like yours) listed at about $1,100 for several weeks, with no sign of movement so far.

So, I don't think your price is unusually high. It just probably won't fly out the door to a bargain hunter...

Ken

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Jos and Ken,
Thanks for the info. My flight to the states doesnt look too good then, it was worth a try i guess, lol. I dont play bass so its no good adding it to my collection, if you can call 2 G&L's a collection that is.
Take care all, if i see any others for sale here in OZ i will let you all know,
Cheers
Geoff

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm happy to help. Interceptors are interesting basses. They look pointy, but the contours are all in just the right places and the result is an instrument that feels thinner and lighter than it really is. That's been my perception, at least. The long upper bout seems to balance the bass nicely - just the opposite of the ASAT Bass, which is sometimes criticized for being neck-heavy. The standard neck profile on the Interceptors is also a nice, comfortable 1 5/8". Sharing the El Toro's pickups and circuitry puts plenty of tonal options on tap, too!

Ken

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks for the info Ken, i'm quite tempted to buy it myself. I played a mates bass the other night and had forgotten how bassy they really are, it had the bloody drums rattling if they wernt being played. It was great to hear i must say.
Cheers
Geoff

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Hey Geoff ,
Thanks for the bump . That's my Bass and I think all the comments are spot on .
It's a phenomenal bass that I wouldn't sell if I didn't need to.
Thankfully for me I don't have to so if it doesn't sell I'll be happy . I think for what it is , it's an absolute bargain .

If anyone wants to come over and pick it up I will include free accommodation , beer , wine , food and coffee. Haha
Thanks
Anthony

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:09 am

Its nice to meet you Anthony. With the offer of Aussie hospitality as you have i expect it to be sold tomorrow, lol, we do have nice beer, nice food and nice women dont we. Come on over guys and have a look one day, you will like it im sure, you can even take a new guitar home with you,,, :D
Cheers
Geoff

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Hey Geoff , likewise it's always great to get new Australian members on here.
I agree with you about the food and beer.
But Australian women are nothing but trouble . Hahaha
Thanks again man
Anthony

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:00 pm

lol, they can be trouble can't they but i don't think its just Aussie women, its a world wide phenomena i think, oops did i really say that,,,

Cheers
Geoff