Bassman Gigged with my L-1000 Last Night!

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Bassman's band Rags had a gig just a few miles down the road from me last evening. I brought my wife and kids for the fist set - along with my fairly-recently acquired L1K. After looking my bass over, Bill decided take her for a spin. Since I know you guys don't believe anything unless there are pictures, I give you the evidence!

Hopefully, Bill will check in an let us know what he thought of the instrument. I will say my family and I enjoyed the show immensely, and I got a real kick seeing my bass played by such a great guy and player. Thanks Bassman! - ed

Re: Bassman Gigged with my L-1000 Last Night!

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:25 pm

That is one sweet L-1000, Ed!

Ed (Zapcosongs), brought out one of the cleanest 1980ish L1ks that I have ever seen, let alone played.
It appears to have an ebony fingerboard too.
I know I don't look very happy playing it, but it is a sweet sounding bass and the neck and body appear to have no dings, scratches or marks anywhere.
I hope I didn't put any marks on it, Ed.

That bass is truly showroom quality and Ed you are a real nice guy with a very nice family to boot. Thanks for letting me play the first set with your bass.

I have been recovering from a two gig weekend and I am just getting online Sunday eve.
You have a great pair of G&L basses, Ed . The L1000 and the SB-2.

Maybe I could play your SB-2 next time?

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Bill.
Regarding the SB-2, you're most welcome to play it anytime! I'm just a bit concerned that it might require some tweaking first. The action is a bit on the high side, and even I can tell that the intonation needs some attention. It actually plays and sounds fine for my purposes (waking the kids in the night) but I think I'll get it set up professionally before handing it to you ten minutes before you take the stage. The L1K seemed to me to require far less adjustment to make it acceptable to a gigging musician. Glad you enjoyed playing it. The kids really got a kick out of seeing live music and the whole family enjoyed meeting you. - ed

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:06 pm

That's great that you guys are in the same area, and could meet up. That does look like a very clean bass. I suspect that black basses sound the best, as 6-strings are known to. You did score a nice one, Ed. Congrat's.

I actually grabbed my Ampeg Rocket Bass amp out of storage yesterday. Today I drove the worms from the ground with my L5000 coupled with it. I've never seen worms "run" so fast. :shocked003:

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:34 pm

I had an Ampeg Rocket guitar amp in high school and I liked it a lot. It got stolen with my '66 Jag when the band room got broken into during Spring Break my senior year. I needed a guitar quick, and picked up a LP copy by Bradley - worst POS guitar I have ever touched!

Hey, are there any G&LDP members in your area? It really is nice having Bassman around. I watch what he's doing hoping to pick up a trick or two, but I'm not as quick on the uptake as I'd like to be (if you know what I mean...) - ed

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I had an Ampeg Rocket guitar amp in high school and I liked it a lot.

Having equipment stolen has to really suck, especially as a kid who will likely have a difficult time replacing it. A '66 Jag would be cool to have. Good surf music guitar, no?

zapcosongs wrote:Hey, are there any G&LDP members in your area? It really is nice having Bassman around. I watch what he's doing hoping to pick up a trick or two, but I'm not as quick on the uptake as I'd like to be (if you know what I mean...) - ed

El Fug isn't too far from me but I'm not sure what his "gig" is. He seems like a cool dude, but I haven't seen any posts from him lately. For some reason, I think our musical tastes are different. I could be wrong though.

I did make a connection with a cool young guy, 40-ish, who plays a steel guitar, and gigs with a female singer/songwriter. I'll be showing him my new guitar when it arrives this week. Hopefully, I'll be able to do some playing with him. We'll see. In case you're curious, the new guitar is one I bought from Greg G., a Comanche VI Signature. It's probably more than I can handle, but I figured that they're so hard to come by that I'd better snag it and give it a try. I'll probably sell my ash '90 ASAT III to help pay for it, once the April 15th shock wears off of the buying public. Keep rockin'.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:20 pm

1990 ASAT III, eh?

Bastid! - ed

BTW, GG is parting with some nice instruments at prices that could make my marriage crumble.....

Sun May 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Super cool Zap!!!!

I just discovered my L-1000's voice when I bought that Boogie rig a week or so ago!!!!

Need a bass gig now!!!

DAVE

Sun May 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Hey Dave. Good to see you check in.

Still surfin' with Marvin? What's up? How's that boy of yours? Chip off the old block, I'd guess.... - ed

PS: Got a pic of your L1K?