Australian 1991 SC-3's

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:38 am

Hello guys, my name is Geoff and i live in Australia. I have come across a couple of 1991 SC-3's, one from a friend of mine some time ago and another, the black one, just last week from a farmer in Queensland. [thumb=]http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Geoffd11/media/SC-3/2014-08-07143458_zps16254f88.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/thumb] The red one has been fitted with Demarzio HS-3's in the neck and bridge, i have the original pick ups and will re install them in the near future. The pickguard is cracked however at the lower screw near the jack so i would like to replace it. Can anyone tell me if the company pickguardheaven.com pickguard pattern 6004 is compatible with the 1991 SC-3. The Black one was in a terrible state, everything completely set up wrong but with a bit of work it's sorted out now, it had been in a cupboard for 20 years. It has been fitted with a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker in the bridge as you can see if my photo displays correctly. I ideally would like to bring this guitar back to original configuration also but dont have the original to replace it with.. I have read quite a bit about the later model SC-3 pickups but could someone with good knowledge please confirm for me that the current replacement would be a S-500 pup. Is it likely that i could get an original time period MFD from somewhere, i guess im being a bit fussy but it would be nice to have all 3 correct pickups.
Thanks for the opportunity to post my questions and to anyone who can help me.
It's a great site, its been a source of many hours reading, thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it,,
Cheers
Geoff

Re: Australian 1991 SC-3's

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:46 am

I'm sorry, the picture didnt display as i tried to do, i dont know how to do all this correctly as yet, im a bit modern tech challenged, lol, but if you go to this address it will show the guitars im discussing, sorry about that again,
http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Geoff ... sort=3&o=0
Cheers, Geoff

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:09 am

Geoff,

Those are beautiful!

I wouldn't be overly worried about them not having the original pickups. That is just me.

The sc-3 is one of my favorite guitars. They are comfortable to play and very unique compared to your generic "s" type of product. Enjoy them.

I still can't believe you found two of them,

y2kc

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:48 am

Hi Y2kc, thank you for your reply. Yes they do make a nice couple dont they, lol. Im a little surprised the necks are not painted, i was under the impression that all SC-3's were supposed to be fully painted but i have to admit i quite like the necks as they are, more traditional i guess you could say.. I must say as soon as the black one came up for sale i jumped on it, even drove 3000klm's in 2 days to get it, that was a bit of a feat i will tell you, the things we do for our toys hey, lol.
I must say they are heavy little things for their size, the resultant resonance i have never heard better. With your ear to the wood unplugged and a single strum on the open E, well the vibrations just go on forever, there made with good wood thats for sure.
Can i ask what series SC-3 you have, are they all made of the same wood do you know?.
Cheers
Geoff

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:47 am

Geoff,

It has been fun collecting and playing G&L guitars since 1991. I have all the sc-3 variations including hard tails. You are correct about the weight of these little beasts. They can surprise you.

I am currently playing a first edition and every time I pick it up I am surprised by the weight. It is a two piece maple body. The tone just jumps from that guitar. I guess they are all maple but I have a few that are feather light.

We have third editions like yours with and with out the painted neck. You have found some beautiful guitars over there and you will enjoy them. Nice find!!

y2kc

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Well done y2kc, one of every series is quite a feat, i understand the early ones are not so easy to find.

The pickguard company said they would send me a tracing of their SC-3 replacement guard but for a fee, if its the same the cost comes off the replacement pickguard price, if it's not the same you do your money. I think i will just order it and hope for the best.

I understand your point regarding the non original pickups, they were fitted for a reason by the previous owners and they do sound good but do you think that the guitars are devalued by this?. As they are both 1991 models, the year of Leo's death and both signature headstock models, i think their collectible status is pretty good. For this reason i was thinking the original pickups would almost be mandatory to any future buyer, wouldnt you agree?. Having said that the red one is no longer perfectly original body wise, a very small amount or routing was needed to the body to accept the Demazio HS-3's so im guessing its devalued regardless of what pickups are installed.
Cheers
Geoff

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm

One other comment on the Black one, its not actually Black, when looked at in direct sunlight it can best be described as dark kelp (the seaweed) Green. Any other light though its Black, is this normal does anybody know?.

Cheers
Geoff

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:23 am

geoff douglas wrote:One other comment on the Black one, its not actually Black, when looked at in direct sunlight it can best be described as dark kelp (the seaweed) Green. Any other light though its Black, is this normal does anybody know?.

Cheers
Geoff

It is typical , my old black ASAT has also shifted to a dark kelp ( in bright lights ).
BTW, Dark Kelp is a great color name :thumbup:

elwood

Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks Elwood, i wasn't sure if it had been refinished, its relieving to hear it is normal, thanks again,,
Cheers
Geoff

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:52 am

Hi all, this is worth a look at for another SC-3 for sale here in OZ, nice isnt it,,, might be another drive coming up, lol ,,,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-L-SC3-1984 ... 439&_uhb=1

Cheers
Geoff

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 am

Geoff,

Re-read your original post and the fact that you have the G&L pickups is great. I would most likely switch them back in and enjoy the Leo goodness.

The sc-3 on ebay right now looks looks like a nice second body example and will deliver the goods tone wise. How far away is this one from you?

y2kc

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi y2kc
I have thought about the pickup issue and have decided to put one of the spare original MFD's from the red one into the black one. This way i will have at least one in original condition with the true Leo sound as you put it. I think i am falling into this GAS situation, lol, Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, the term still makes me laugh, but less so now that its starting to get its grip on me, lol. The earlier SC-3 is only 1900klm round trip, a bit closer than the black one but still a reasonably long drive. I have email the guy and will wait for a response but it is unlikely i will buy it even though i would love to get an earlier version as well, one of each series would be great but a little hard for me to justify, i will see how the GAS problem evolves, lol. If anyone in the states is interested in buying it i am happy to help if its needed.

Cheers
Geoff

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:00 am

Hi Tim thank you for your comment, the sc-3's are nice arn't they, i'm trying to do them justice. I have been an acoustic guy, strum and pluck i guess you could say but at 56 now i think its time to do some lead stuff, never too late i hope, wheres my bloody glasses,, lol. I have a few mates that can play the G&L's as they should be and am so jealous of the talents they have, i cant imaging the hours needed to be fluent so to speak with the language of notes as these lead guitarists are. I will never be a great guitarist, im sure of that, but being able to put a few songs together is a great form of personal happiness for me, its a good feeling isnt it. If i can do some lead with it i think it will feel even better, :D
The SC-3 series 2 that was for sale is not now, well not at the price i want to pay anyway, the guy rang me and said he was keeping it. I see its still listed though, i will keep in touch with him, 1st option to buy would be nice if he does decide to part with it.
cheers and beers for all
Geoff