SC-3 (later model, Strat-style) vs. the Skyhawk

Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Are there any people who have played the later model (Strat-style) SC-3 and the Skyhawk, that could give some insights on how they sound comparatively to one another?

I see the Skyhawk has an extra knob. I'm not finding any other info regarding the wiring, electronics or other nuances in the G&L Knowledgebase. If anyone has experiences with both guitars, please share your insights.

Thank you!

Re: SC-3 (later model, Strat-style) vs. the Skyhawk

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:10 pm

electrodyne wrote:Hi everyone,

Are there any people who have played the later model (Strat-style) SC-3 and the Skyhawk, that could give some insights on how they sound comparatively to one another?

I see the Skyhawk has an extra knob. I'm not finding any other info regarding the wiring, electronics or other nuances in the G&L Knowledgebase. If anyone has experiences with both guitars, please share your insights.

Thank you!

I have both a 1st body style SC-3 as well as a 2nd body style SC-3 you inquire about. Both are genuine, simple rocking machines. Simple electronics, i.e. single volume and tone, and wonderful pups. Same pups as found on the Nighthawk/Skyhawk, so that is not a difference. My Nighthawk has a maple body like the SC'3s, so no difference there either. So it is all in the contours of the body and the separate bass and treble controls. They give you a wider range of tonal options where you can be a bit more precise in how you'd like to balance treble and bass. But an incredibly sweet sounding guitar.

Also read Greg Gagliano's pages on these guitars (this is link to his G&L index page).

You cannot go wrong either way IMO.

- Jos