Re: George Fullerton - and another side...

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Wow - speechless Tim. What a horrible experience and a great poem. That one will stick with me for a while.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Thank you for sharing both the story and the poem.

I had the fortune to meet Mr. Fender, but never Mr. Fullerton.
I really wish I had, as it seems like he was an exceptional gentleman in every way.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:53 am

Tim - you might consider writing a book about George. You knew him better than anyone I know.

Just a thought.
Will

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:34 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote: The founders of the industry are like jewels to me.

Nicely said,
Kudos to you Tim for bringing the good stuff to the surface ...your a gem too! :)
I seem to have something in my eye.

elwood

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Tim, thank you so much for sharing these wonderful stories.

What a great way to pass on a part of his legacy.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 am

Thank you for sharing George's poem Tim. Good stuff to hear when my internal ass kicker is in full gear. ~Jag

Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:19 am

George was a calm center, a considerate, genuine, humble,old school, very nice man.
He interviewed and hired me in 1980 (at 20) as a builder because I was an artist, a maker, a person who took 3D design in high school seriously.
When he saw that I had made stained glass windows & jewelry he knew that he didn't have to teach me to solder :) for one thing.
As a lifetime maker, I am very proud of the instruments I built there in 1980-81, and having been part of the history of that place and time.
George certainly has not gotten the recognition that he deserves as an integral part of bringing the instruments to life.
He spent a lot of time in that first bench in final assembly.
He was a consummate designer, and all those guitars would not have looked the way they do, without him.
Joyce L. Hana

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:07 am

Fascinating, Tim. Thanks for sharing.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Jhana wrote:George was a calm center, a considerate, genuine, humble,old school, very nice man.
He interviewed and hired me in 1980 (at 20) as a builder because I was an artist, a maker, a person who took 3D design in high school seriously.
When he saw that I had made stained glass windows & jewelry he knew that he didn't have to teach me to solder :) for one thing.
As a lifetime maker, I am very proud of the instruments I built there in 1980-81, and having been part of the history of that place and time.
George certainly has not gotten the recognition that he deserves as an integral part of bringing the instruments to life.
He spent a lot of time in that first bench in final assembly.
He was a consummate designer, and all those guitars would not have looked the way they do, without him.
Joyce L. Hana

Joyce,

Great story. In your time there, did you make any lefty's? If so, which models... and I'll be on the lookout!

Cheers,

Will

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks Joyce for the insight