G&L F-100 Project Question

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for checking out my thread.

I am slowly restoring an early-'80s F-100 and have a question I am hoping someone can help me answer.

Are there any alternatives to the stock pickups?

I would love to locate an original '80s set, but they don't come along too often on eBay or elsewhere. I know G&L (BBE) sells them new, but I want the guitar to have all correct-era parts, if possible and the pups are the last missing piece.

The reason I'm interested in alternatives is because I'd love to be able to play the guitar until I locate a set. I don't want to alter the pickup routes, though.

Thanks in advance!

Re: G&L F-100 Project Question

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:14 pm

wouldn't the best alternative be buying the new set ??..... then replace them when the correct ones come around .... anything else just wouldn't be close

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Ditto to Fumble :signs009:

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:58 pm

I suppose, but they cost $119 each plus shipping.

That is a lot of money, for me, and I know they'll wind up in a drawer.

I'm hoping to find something used that will work until then.

Thanks for the replies!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:40 pm

I would think that you could use any pickup that was smaller that the original routes. Assuming that you want to leave the body as original as possible. I would think a set of conventional humbuckers would fit in those holes and you would just need to make mounting rings to hold the pickups in place, until a set of originals come around. I am saying this without knowing if what I said is true so please take it for what it is worth.

Its just a suggestion, but I know how frustrating it is to have a nice guitar around w/o any Pickups!

Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:32 am

I would just go with the new ones. Chances are that if you found old ones that were separated from the guitar, they would be beat up or broken. If you had to get them re-wound you would still be paying a lot of money. At least with the new ones your going to know that what you are getting is going to be n good shape.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice guys!

I am going to use this as an opportunity to practice my patience!

Part of the fun of this type of project is the hunt/search. I have had other projects that were in the works for months into a year+. It is always fun to finish and the anticipation is half the fun.

bassman, I agree it can be frustrating. In the past, when it is pups I need, I assemble the guitar and play it acoustically until I can get the electronics worked out. That is actually better than when I need tuners, or a bridge part, or a neck or body! I hate to put new holes into a project just to satisfy my impatience!

nba, I try to always buy from reputable sellers, so I haven't had a bad experience yet. The hard part is finding what I am looking for (usually on eBay) and then determining the seller may not be upfront with 'issues'. It is really hard to pass when this happens, especially if I have been waiting/searching for a long time.