Leo's Personal G&L S-500?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:54 am

I don't participate as much in this forum as I'd like to, but I do want to share the story of 1 very special G&L.

I used to collect a lot more, but have since sold most everything off. However, there's 1 item that I can't sell - and that I plan on donating to a museum someday. I was hoping the great G&L muses here might help me confirm its validity.

About 3 years ago, I found a couple of collectors from the 90's who became my source of passion, knowledge and G&L instruments. One such collector had just about every G&L you could imagine. I remember it being very difficult deciding how to spend my limited resources on these guitars. He priced them right! And they all had such cool stories. He apparently had purchased a lot of Paul Bechtoldt's collection. After purchasing a couple from Mr. X (I'll keep his name anonymous), he offered me the opportunity to purchase a very special guitar. He didn't say much about it, he just sent me a photo of the letter below (addressed to the original owner, not Mr. X). Needless to say, I purchased the guitar!

Last year, I found a copy of Paul Bechtoldt's "Leo's Legacy" and the book references this guitar and has photos of this guitar, but doesn't confirm whether or not it was Leo's personal instrument.

Ever since, it's been sitting in its case. I've taken it to a couple of guitar appraisers, but no one knows what to make of it. I did speak with one of Leo's employees who seems to recall seeing this guitar in his workshop.

I hope to uncover the mysteries of this guitar. If you have any information or can point me in the right direction, let's solve this one! I'm very interested in preserving this piece of history for all.

Re: Leo's Personal G&L S-500?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:38 pm

:!:
Wow,...and woW!

First glance it seems there is a solid foundation of provenance.
I see some newer than '82 features , but that makes sense if it was
one of Leo's test guitars.

Can you give us a close up of that string retainer for kicks?

Have you ever looked under the hood ; does it have stock S500 electronics ?

Nice to see gems like this appear in a good home :happy0065:
elwood

(have you talked with Gabe?)

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Interesting looking nut.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Elwood and Suave Eddie, here's a close up of the string retainer. The nut looks to be a pretty standard roller nut. Don't know the origins of the nut, but the string tree is supposedly an invention Leo was toying with.

Thanks, Elwood - I'll reach out to Gabe. What will his handle be? I've heard his name mentioned a lot around here.

I haven't opened up the electronics box, but can confirm that it's not standard. The 4th position is very unique - the low 3 strings are out of phase while the high 3 strings remain in phase. Very quirky sound, like something you could get out of the Comanche VI's control scheme.