Was just trolling on the Bay... (SC-3 / Legacy? Content)...

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:55 pm

..... and came across this most interesting guitar/auction......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-1992-G-L-G-L-SC-3-SC-3-SC3-FINE-TUNER-VIBRATO-FTB-VERY-RARE/251298971776?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23423%26meid%3D7668011993305941407%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10050%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D251533268133

Just wondering if any of our resident historians might be able to shed a bit of light on this unusual guitar made during a transitional time in G&L history. Thanks! - ed

Re: Was just trolling on the Bay... (SC-3 / Legacy? Content)

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:45 pm

What an interesting and beautiful looking axe.

There's a kind of harmony between that old headstock shape and the Legacy body which later Legacy's and S-500's never quite pull off (IMHO).

But 9+ lbs! Ouch, my back.

I'm keen to hear more from the experts as well......

Thanks Ed.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:41 pm

What's interesting is the neck says sale ???
An employee guitar perhaps?

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:00 pm

That could also say, "SAVE" with a squared/rounded V looking more like a U (SAUE), the vertical line to our right was not applied as heavy and it is barely visible and the top horizontal slash of the E sort of sloppily begun at the V all culminating in "SAVE" appearing as "SALE" . :searching:

This seller is the Superman of Sellers. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing. I counted 93 pictures but did not go back and double-check. Sharp, every perspective and angle, close-ups, distants, full guitar shots, good color, a pencil tip provided for scale reference, etc.

For it being "rare" the price seems low.

It looks like it is in beautiful shape but the detailed close-ups show a lot of dings, scratches and chips. Still looks great from an audience perspective.

Overall, very nice looking specimen of a G&L.

Philby wrote:What an interesting and beautiful looking axe.

There's a kind of harmony between that old headstock shape and the Legacy body which later Legacy's and S-500's never quite pull off (IMHO).

But 9+ lbs! Ouch, my back.

I'm keen to hear more from the experts as well......

Thanks Ed.

I agree about the headstock. I think the width or size from top to bottom in playing position of the current Legacy headstock is on the narrow side while this is larger matching with a Strat's proportions.

9lbs. feels different depending on the guitar. If the guitar is balanced it does not feel as heavy. Once around your shoulders it may lose distinction however the process of picking it up to play and pulling it in and out of the case is where it is noticeable.
Last edited by Salmon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:13 pm

This is a 3rd body style SC-3, i.e. with more Strat like body shape and pickguard with single volume and tone controls, 5-way pickup selector, and input jack mounted on it. Gleaning GGJaguar's (Greg Gagliano) web site the bridge turns out to be a 3rd style Fine-Tuner Vibrato and has the Patent number stamped on the plate. It even has the copper central spring. The headstock for the SC-3 never changed to the by then usual G&L hook, except for this unusual SC-3 built after the model was actually already discontinued.

Beautiful guitars and there aren't too many with a Fine-Tuner Vibrato.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:27 pm

Salmon wrote:For it being "rare" the price seems low.

The Blue Book of Guitar Values list the following prices for a 3rd style SC-3:
NEW (100%): $850
MINT(98%): $700
EXC+(95%): $650
EXC (90%): $600
VG+(80%): $475
VG (70%): $400
G (60%): $375
Elsewhere, for a different G&L model mind you, it states to add $200 for a G&L Fine-Tuner Vibrato. So it is up to the buyer to assess whether this SC-3 is worth the ask price of $1,100.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:42 pm

It's a gorgeous example of a third-style SC-3, but IMO the price is a bit unrealistic. I wouldn't consider any SC-3 built after 1983 to be a rarebird.

Ken

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:00 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:This is a 3rd body style SC-3, i.e. with more Strat like body shape and pickguard with single volume and tone controls, 5-way pickup selector, and input jack mounted on it. Gleaning GGJaguar's (Greg Gagliano) web site the bridge turns out to be a 3rd style Fine-Tuner Vibrato and has the Patent number stamped on the plate. It even has the copper central spring. The headstock for the SC-3 never changed to the by then usual G&L hook, except for this unusual SC-3 built after the model was actually already discontinued.

Beautiful guitars and there aren't too many with a Fine-Tuner Vibrato.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thanks, Jos. This was my first impression. But frankly, there are days that I have trouble telling a third/last - style SC-3 from the Legacy body. So it's an SC-3 with a desirable bridge made during a time of transition. Still kind of interesting.... - ed

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:16 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Salmon wrote:For it being "rare" the price seems low.

The Blue Book of Guitar Values list the following prices for a 3rd style SC-3:
Elsewhere, for a different G&L model mind you, it states to add $200 for a G&L Fine-Tuner Vibrato. So it is up to the buyer to assess whether this SC-3 is worth the ask price of $1,100.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

You must have missed the top line when copy/pasting.

VERY RARE $10,000 on sale for $4,000 during the next 24 hours only.

:evilgrin:

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Salmon wrote:You must have missed the top line when copy/pasting.

VERY RARE $10,000 on sale for $4,000 during the next 24 hours only.

Oh damn that sticky keyboard. Or maybe my eye-hand coordination :)

- Jos

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Thanks, Jos. This was my first impression. But frankly, there are days that I have trouble telling a third/last - style SC-3 from the Legacy body. So it's an SC-3 with a desirable bridge made during a time of transition. Still kind of interesting.... - ed

The Fine-Tune Vibrato became available somewhere after '86; do not know the exact year let alone month. And they were available throughout '91, the same year production of the SC-3 ceased (with some exceptions, as pointed out before). This is one of the last ones built in '91, after BBE took over in October '91. In that sense it is a transition model. But many models (if not all) were still built according to their pre-BBE configuration in that last quarter. A transition model would be an instrument exhibiting both pre-BBE as well as BBE-era characteristics. This SC-3 is not one of them, so it is not a transition model. The big changes only started in '92. If I had to guess, since the name 'Leo Fender' was stamped in script on the front side of the Vibrato, the part would fall under the BBE-Fender settlement of February '92 on the use of the name 'Leo Fender', just like the different Signature models. The last signatures, i.e. some Commemorative ASAT Classics and Commemorative ASAT basses, were built in May 1993 after which one was only left with the small 'guitars by Leo' print under the model name to refer to the late great Leo Fender.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14 pm

This guitar is smaller than a Legacy bodied guitar. I am a Fine Tuner fan, but this guitar doesn't hold any shine for me, especially at the current bid.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:35 am

JagInTheBag wrote:This guitar is smaller than a Legacy bodied guitar. I am a Fine Tuner fan, but this guitar doesn't hold any shine for me, especially at the current bid.

Are you talking about a different guitar or the one linked in the first post?

Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:03 pm

I am talking about the one linked to the eBay Ad.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:13 am

What is smaller about this one?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:20 am

My understanding is that the "strat" style SC-3 body is smaller overall than a later S-500/Legacy body.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:27 am

Really nice SC-3. Looks like it has been very well taken care of, too. I wonder, what are the main differences between the sound of the SC-2, (like the one for sale in the marketplace,) and the SC-3? I don't know a whole lot about guitars in general, but I can't imagine many of them sounding better in quality than an SC-2 does. Is it just a matter of preference, or are there pretty distinctive differences?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Ed,

I didn't look at all the pictures, life is too short. If the fine term is the only odd feature then I just say its average but cool. The Leo fine trem shows up on a number of guitars.

It is a beauty and I could care less about the 9lbs., nice guitar.

Y2kc

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks for checking in Casey. How are you and yours, btw?

Yeah, I feel kind of stupid now posting about this guitar. The seller weaves an interesting tale. I should have looked more carefully....

She's pretty though, and that bridge design really is something. I've never seen one in person.

Anyhow, as the proud owner of a first-style SC-3 (and a great modern Legacy), this guitar would be superfluous to me.

Enjoy your summer. Stay cool. - ed

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:This guitar is smaller than a Legacy bodied guitar. I am a Fine Tuner fan, but this guitar doesn't hold any shine for me, especially at the current bid.

Maybe it was the apparent context created by making these four points in a post this way but it seemed like you were citing the difference in size as one reason for disliking the guitar.

I find it odd given the relative size of the LEII and your involvement with that model yet I completely understand how anything can serve to discourage or attract when it comes to guitars.

Only a few people have commented so it is hardly representative of widespread opinion but I am sorry to see people more interested in unique specs rather than aesthetics in this case. I like the larger proportion of this headstock and if people tripped over their feet about it there might be a chance of G&L producing a Legacy/S-500 something like it in the future, perhaps with components more attractive to those looking for something unique or more interesting.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:49 pm

I got curious about this discussion about the body of the Strat body SC-3 being smaller than a Legacy. I have a 1990 SC-3 but no Legacy. I do, though, have a 1975 Stratocaster and a Melancon Pro Artist. I got out a ruler and made several measurements, the results are below. The only measurement where the SC-3 is small is horizontally across at the widest point from the lower horn. The SC-3 body is actually longer measured from the 21st fret (I measured from the 21st fret because the 1975 Strat only has 21 frets.) The other dimensions are close to be equal. Granted I cannot measure a Legacy, but it seems that a late SC-3 body is small may be a myth?

2000 Melancon​ 1975 Stratocaster​ 1990 SC-3
​12 5/8​​ 12 ½​​ 12 ½​​ Body width widest point
​13​​ 13 1/8​​ 13 ¾​​ Body length from 21st fret to strap button
​10 3/8​​ 10 5/8​​ 10​​ Body width across from widest point lower horn
​18 ½​​ 18 5/8​​ 18 1/8​ Tip upper horn to bottom strap button mount

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:48 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:My understanding is that the "strat" style SC-3 body is smaller overall than a later S-500/Legacy body.

There were three body styles of the SC-3. The mustang type body, the early S-500 body style (12" lower bout) and the full size S-500/Legacy
body with pickguard (12 1/2" lower bout). The SC-3 in the eBay auction has the 3rd style full size body. See Greg Gagliano's G&L webpages for photos
and details of the three SC-3 styles.

:ugeek:

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 am

Craig wrote:
There were three body styles of the SC-3. The mustang type body, the early S-500 body style (12" lower bout) and the full size S-500/Legacy
body with pickguard (12 1/2" lower bout). The SC-3 in the eBay auction has the 3rd style full size body. See Greg Gagliano's G&L webpages for photos

Welp, ya learn something new every day. :idea:

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Craig wrote:
JagInTheBag wrote:My understanding is that the "strat" style SC-3 body is smaller overall than a later S-500/Legacy body.

I bought the guitar...it does not have the 3rd body style. Look closely at the pics at where the pickguard sits in relation to the body curves. The 3rd style sc3 sits pretty close to the roll of the body just above the fretboard. This one is the same dimensions as my strats. Not sure which body that makes it but it is as deep as my 11 standard and as heavy as my 09 deluxe. If anybody has any additional insight on this guitar I would be happy to heat it. Thanks, this is my first g&l and I bought it to flip it but looks like I'll be selling my strats now...ha.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 pm

So, you're liking it? That's always the bottom line, isn't it? - ed

btw, I'm enjoying my modern Legacy so much, I'm (almost) thinking of offering up my SC-3 Rarebird. Turns out I'm more of a T-Style guy, and the Legacy gives me all the Strat I need - and then a wee bit more..... It's actually hard for me to believe that Leo likely never heard the CLF-100 pickups. I'm guessing he would have approved.

I really do like the small MFDs (though not as much as the larger ones), but I really have a weakness for the vintage sounding Pups in the S-Style body in particular. Either way, the DF Trem is and will always be a thing of special utility, beauty, and helps put the Legacy in a class of its own (and I would not for anything replace the MFD single in my Bluesboy. What a combination with the Seth Lover!!!)

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Yup...I'm two hours in and this is the best guitar I have played. I've had more dynamic instruments but this is what an electric guitar should be. The tone knob is so deep you can wah with it, everything is responsive, and every pick up sounds great, but different. It's like a strat on steroids but not a les Paul, where it's so thick it's annoying and the scale length sucks. It feels like I have owned it for years...I have never not had to get used to a guitar...but this one was familiar from note 1. Crazy.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:37 pm

jrussblues wrote:Yup...I'm two hours in and this is the best guitar I have played. I've had more dynamic instruments but this is what an electric guitar should be. The tone knob is so deep you can wah with it, everything is responsive, and every pick up sounds great, but different. It's like a strat on steroids but not a les Paul, where it's so thick it's annoying and the scale length sucks. It feels like I have owned it for years...I have never not had to get used to a guitar...but this one was familiar from note 1. Crazy.

Just enjoy. And understand that G&L guitars and basses can become addicting...... - ed