Re: ASAT Commemorative Lacewood #0001

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Teleplayer wrote:Sorry guys! My first time posting and I don't really know what i'm doing..

I need some advice on a Commemorative Cherry burst I want to buy!
I need to know the going rate roughly of how much they go for so I know i'm not getting ripped off!

Cheers, Jacob

Hi Jacob,

There are 2 subgroups:
the Cherryburst Comms built before November 4th, 1991, which have S/N 12 and lower demand somewhere between $4,000 to $7,000 depending on condition. Those built later than that data are somewhere between $2,000 and $3,250, again depending on condition.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks for getting back to me so fast Jos!

The one i'm looking at is number 18/1000. But he's asking around the 10K mark. This seems a bit much don't you think? But I guess they can put what ever price tag they want on it considering the rarity of them!?

Jacob

P.S I'm from Wollongong, Australia :)

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:12 am

Teleplayer wrote:Thanks for getting back to me so fast Jos!

The one i'm looking at is number 18/1000. But he's asking around the 10K mark. This seems a bit much don't you think? But I guess they can put what ever price tag they want on it considering the rarity of them!?

Jacob

P.S I'm from Wollongong, Australia :)

Hi Jacob,

That's seems a little high indeed no matter whether the price is taken in AUD or USD (in which I expressed my quotes).

This is what I know about #18:
  • The sales log indicates it was finished and entered 11/6/1991
  • The invoice number is 4887 and it was indeed shipped to Australia
  • It has a #2 neck with maple fingerboard
November 6 is just 2 days past Dale Hyatt's retirement date which puts this guitar in the twilight zone between pre-BBE era and BBE-era, which is what drives the price for collectors. I go by what G&L researcher Gabe Dellevigne relayed to me. Ash bodied Comms #4, #6, #7, #8, #10, #11, and #12 are all considered pre-BBE. Given that they were assembled on November 5 and 6, i.e. the 2 days after Dale's retirement date, #13 thru #18 are borderline. All parts were for sure manufactured under the aegis of Mr. Hyatt, they were just not put together yet. Anything later is BBE-era; #19 was assembled 11/11/1991, a full week after.

Now about the rarity. The neck plate states '1 of 1000'. But far fewer were built. In February 1993 a settlement was reached between BBE and FMIC where BBE would be allowed to build 500 instruments which led to the infamous 350 ASAT Classics/150 ASAT basses division. But more than likely in both cases fewer than that number were actually produced since production was halted in May 1991 (ignoring the incidental rogue employee guitars that were produced at a later date). I think the division is more in the neighborhood of 250 ASAT Classics/25 ASAT basses. And then there is of course the subdivision between Lacewoods and Ash guitars. The former is considered to be consisting of 5 pre-BBE Lacewoods (#1,#2,#3,#5,#9) and 2 BBE-era (#26 and #69). How the Ash bodied ones are divvied up has already been discussed above.

In short, from a collectors perspective, I would personally be OK if the seller demands a little more for the #18. But certainly not by that amount which elevates the price into the region of the going rate for the 7 Lacewood guitars.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Howdy:
Hello guys
I' m the happy owner of an G&L COMMEMORATIVE for 12 years .
I bougt it to a friend , he Was the first owner
Amazingly enough he bought it in a small guitar shop of a small Town (close of Paris( 3 miles )where i live)
Number is 57 of 1000( 350)
I love it And i' d like to get some more spécifications about it .
Regards
Raphaël

The logbook on the Commemorative has always shown as Dale owning #1.
Dale always provided a description on old G&L letterhead, thus continuing this keeps his collection intact as sold.
Ken Hyatt also worked at G&L with his father. Since Ken states he's Dales son, and provides info on the guitar, I don't this as bad.
There's no one at G&L who could authenticate it per se' or provide such information.
So this is the best resolution.

Regards,

Tim