ASAT Commemorative Lacewood #0001

Sun May 25, 2014 5:19 pm

It must be a blast to be in a business where you get to have gems like this around.

ebay
It was nice to see Dale mentioned more than once ...even with a little history :thumbup:
Last edited by Elwood on Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ASAT Commerative Lacewood #0001

Sun May 25, 2014 6:05 pm

what a sweet guitar , the seller sure does/did have some beautiful G&L's with great history .... that should be in the G&L museum , they do have one don't they ??

Sun May 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Elwood,

This one could have been mine last year May directly from Ken Hyatt. And then some strange stuff happened which nixed the deal. Still have all the original correspondence with Ken. Next time I saw it at Acme a couple of weeks later they wanted $27,000, about twice as much as Ken wanted originally. Apparently reality has inserted itself in this case too given the lower price.

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sun May 25, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 25, 2014 6:49 pm

I had a hunch, thanks for making things clearer ;)

Drop dead perfection, I'd be afraid I'd play it all the time .
Someone has to sometime...right? (hopefully with no belt buckles in the house).

sigh ...hehe
cheers

Re: ASAT Commemorative Lacewood #0001

Sun May 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Just as two interesting side notes:
1) The letter is written by Ken Hyatt, not Gabe Dellevigne
2) the same guitar is offered for $2k less on Acme's GBase store. That's more that PayPal fees that would be incurred. Go figure!

But that is still quite a bit higher than the price listed in the Blue Book:
MINT (100%): $10,250
EXC+ (98%): $9,750
EXC (95%): $8,750
VG+ (90%): $7,500

OK. Think I informed everybody enough about the background of this beauty.

- Jos

Sun May 25, 2014 7:28 pm

it's a shame that it is not in your collection Jos , can't think of a better place for it

Sun May 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:it's a shame that it is not in your collection Jos , can't think of a better place for it

+1 :happy0007:

- Jos

Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Right that wrong and buy it for the museum FF. ;)

Sun May 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Salmon wrote:Right that wrong and buy it for the museum FF. ;)

I'm not worthy :silent: .... it belongs with Jos

Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 am

OK I didn't realize you were working on your own.

I was suggesting that you buy the guitar for the museum Jos is working on to right the wrong of it not being part of his collection.

Mon May 26, 2014 1:43 am

How is it that a letter written by Ken Hyatt authenticating his father's guitar ended up on G&L letterhead?

Mon May 26, 2014 6:05 am

Salmon wrote:How is it that a letter written by Ken Hyatt authenticating his father's guitar ended up on G&L letterhead?

Dale must have had quite a stash of that when he retired and took it home. You'll notice the Leo Fender script name in the 'Guitars by Leo Fender' on the letterhead didn't you? That shows it is not modern BBE-era G&L letterhead. So that letterhead must be NOS. Recall that Dale ran the sales organization and hence wrote a lot of letters to dealers. Nice letterhead is imperative in that endeavor. ;-)

- Jos

Mon May 26, 2014 11:04 am

By using company letterhead, Ken Hyatt's letter describing the history of this guitar is presented like an official letter of authentication direct from G&L. The perception of material value can be influenced by such things. Phyllis Fender's signature appears on certificates reflecting her role as honorary chairman of the company. Ken uses no title and describes himself as Dale's son when signing the letter. Other than G&L officially authenticating the guitar's history I think standard stationery would have been more appropriate. In this case it is pretty significant that Dale's son has written the letter given the content. It just seems crazy to use your father's company letterhead to write your own letter under any circumstances. If you are employed by the same company and use the same letterhead in your work and this is official business, OK.

Fri May 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:So this is the best resolution.

I disagree, however, I believe Ken Hyatt made an honest mistake thinking he should use G&L letterhead to continue his father's tradition.

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Dale always provided a description on old G&L letterhead, thus continuing this keeps his collection intact as sold.

Part of the unique history of this guitar is that Dale never sold it. Because he did not sell this guitar and it was sold after his passing it could only be handled differently. If you wish to duplicate the special touches Dale added when he sold a guitar you have to do it as yourself. You might as well sign the letter of authentication "Dale Hyatt" otherwise. Dale could use G&L letterhead when he sold a piece from his personal G&L collection because he founded the company. What Dale did ended with Dale.

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:Ken Hyatt also worked at G&L with his father. Since Ken states he's Dales son, and provides info on the guitar, I don't this as bad. There's no one at G&L who could authenticate it per se' or provide such information. So this is the best resolution.

You said yourself that no one at G&L could authenticate the guitar. If Ken Hyatt's position at G&L was relevant he should have stated his title when he signed the letter but that would have effectively established his role as a representative of G&L not just the son of the vice president of G&L. He was speaking for himself not G&L.

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote:There's no one at G&L who could authenticate it per se' or provide such information.

A fact that should remain crystal clear, if there was no one at G&L who could do it then no one should be using G&L letterhead in a letter of authentication which only clouds the truth of the situation.

Jos is a perfect example of a collector who values the unique details of collectible guitars. He is a stickler for historical accuracy. The unique history of this Dale Hyatt guitar should be spotlighted.

Again, I believe Ken Hyatt made an honest mistake thinking he should use G&L letterhead to continue his father's tradition.

Sat May 31, 2014 11:36 pm

Tim GuitarsOnTheWeb wrote: Being both were founders of G&L, I still think it's nice to have the detail on old G&L letterhead.

One thing for certain ~ it's a gorgeous instrument and I think everyone agrees on that. Seeing special items like this from one of the Founders to me is the greatest part of the G&LDP as we all get to share in it and focus on our appreciation of them. So many times instruments like these are sold privately, and never see the light of day.

Regards,
Tim

Tim ,
I couldn't find the words myself, you expressed what I was thinking. Thanks :)
It's an over the top cooool G&L...that was my motivation to starting the thread.

back to making music,
elwood

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:30 am

Truly a beautiful instrument and truly a beautiful man. I met him once and purchsaed my ASAT lll from Dale as I have mentoned on a previous post.
I will treasure my guitar along with the paperwork with his signature, as a part of the history that it is. I only wish I could afford now as I could have in the past this Commemorative.
Thanks for posting this, as I am just now learning so much about G&L Guitars that I have been toally ignorant about. Thanks again to all.
Jimbo

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Elwood wrote:It's an over the top cooool G&L...that was my motivation to starting the thread.

back to making music,
elwood

Absolutely! It is a beautiful instrument. I can't tell what I like the most. That neck is just a fantastic piece and the gold hardware adds a lot as the wood ages. Nice! :happy0065:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Jos, other than the supposed dollar value, why is he selling his father's guitar ?????
Did I miss something.....................

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:25 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:Jos, other than the supposed dollar value, why is he selling his father's guitar ?????
Did I miss something.....................

Jim,

Dale Hyatt passed away March 28, 2013. During the summer of '13, his son Ken liquidated (part of) the guitar collection of his dad. Many instruments once in the possession of Dale had already found a happy new home before his passing. What was left were about 10 instruments, many of very relevant as Broadcaster BC00002, this Lacewood #1, couple of Commemorative prototypes including the one with the incorrect birth year for Leo, 'The Rembrandt' i.e. the only true G&L Signature guitar, a 4-string ASAT bass prototype, and some others. They all ended up at Acme Guitars and have been on sale through both their brick and mortar store as well as the Gbase website ever since. So to clarify, the current seller is NOT Ken Hyatt but the purchaser of part of the Hyatt Estate.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Okay now I understand, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Had a wonderful conversation with Mike Teepe of Acme Guitars this morning. Learned a ton of stuff about some of my misconceptions and what actually happened to the Hyatt estate. For instance, most of the content of the provenance is written/provided by Gabe Dellevigne and was then signed by Ken. And yes, #1 is coming this way :-)

- Jos
Last edited by yowhatsshakin on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:50 pm

That's fab news Jos.
I hope you get the Leo signature next if you have a spare $31 K in your back pocket.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:59 pm

LeoF The Champion wrote:That's fab news Jos.
I hope you get the Leo signature next if you have a spare $31 K in your back pocket.

So far I only find lint …. :-(

But thanks Anthony!

- Jos

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:13 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:...most of the content of the provenance is written/provided by Gabe Dellevigne and was then signed by Ken. And yes, #1 is coming this way :-)

- Jos

Great to see this guitar back on course and the Dellevigne reference from the ebay ad clarified.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Congrats Jos , it should have been yours all along .... it went to the right place 8-)

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:40 pm

mmm...smile :)
wow!!! congrats !

; )))))))

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:10 am

Jos,

Great news and congrats!

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 am

Now this just made my day, congratulations big time.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:51 am

awesome, congrats!

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:46 pm

June 18th is a very special date for me. Today 32 years ago, me and my wife Marjon went on our first date together and exchanged the first kiss. So we celebrated that; this date means more to me than my wedding date. On top, the Netherlands beat the Aussies 3-2 (to all my friends down under, I feel your pain. Been there many , many times. Now go beat Spain. Everybody else does! ;-) ) And Lacewood #1 arrived today. Very happy new owner, make that ecstatic new owner, with said guitar:

- Jos

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Sweet!

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Happy June 18th Jos and Marjon.

Such a joyful picture.
What kind of strings are on there now?

elwood

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:28 pm

Elwood wrote:Happy June 18th Jos and Marjon.

Such a joyful picture.
What kind of strings are on there now?

elwood

Thanks Elwood,much appreciated.

The strings currently on there are DR .08s. Dale's original strings came withh it and they are .09's.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:32 am

Beyond beautiful!!!! How much does it weigh?

GG

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:11 am

Jos, have you plugged her up, got to be a gas playing that guitar, just an awesome looking instrument.

Congrats once again
Jim

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:19 am

HeyJos , the mightyNetherlands team lead with Robin Van Persie and ArgenRobben only just beat us and I'm sure you aged a lot while watching . Hahaha.
Under estimate Australians at your own peril .
Congrats for your guitar but more importantly for the relationship with your girl.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:46 am

Jos, WOW!!!!!! -- Darwin

Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 am

Cool stuff Jos!! I can't believe you are holding it without gloves on. :luv:

Curious about the 8's. Do feel you are losing any tone or do they give you more snap? Obviously, easier to bend. I was just wondering how you decided on those. I am moving to lighter gauge myself but thought that the 8's might be too light.

Just a stunning guitar!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:49 am

Dale was very proud of it also Jos.
I took this photo in 2009. Here Dale is holding #3 and your #1
Congrats.
HLG

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:25 am

GGJaguar wrote:Beyond beautiful!!!! How much does it weigh?

GG

Thanks Greg. She weighs (a reasonable hefty) 9.4lb.

- Jos

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:29 am

GentlemanJim wrote:Jos, have you plugged her up, got to be a gas playing that guitar, just an awesome looking instrument.

fianoman wrote:Curious about the 8's. Do feel you are losing any tone or do they give you more snap? Obviously, easier to bend. I was just wondering how you decided on those. I am moving to lighter gauge myself but thought that the 8's might be too light.!

Jim, fianoman

Thanks guys for the well wishes. Haven't plugged her in yet. And the .08s are what she came with. But I will put .09's on it shortly, that gauge is more to my liking and is the same gauge Dale used. So a tone report has to wait a little.

- Jos

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:32 am

LeoF The Champion wrote:HeyJos , the mightyNetherlands team lead with Robin Van Persie and ArgenRobben only just beat us and I'm sure you aged a lot while watching . Hahaha.
Under estimate Australians at your own peril .
Congrats for your guitar but more importantly for the relationship with your girl.

Thanks! Australia played better than the Dutch who were quite anemic yesterday (IMHO). Of course the result counts but still. And I hope you make the dismantling of Spain complete next Monday.

- Jos

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:35 am

darwinohm wrote:Jos, WOW!!!!!! -- Darwin

HLG wrote:Dale was very proud of it also Jos.
I took this photo in 2009. Here Dale is holding #3 and your #1
Congrats.
HLG

Thanks guys! And that is a beautiful picture of Dale with some beautiful guitars.

- Jos

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:45 am

Jos,

I gotta say that is one beautiful ASAT.

When comparing the two pictures, it looks a bit darker in your shot, which does more justice to the color? Or is my Fisher Price computer just have bad lighting? :)

Congrats again!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:43 am

sam wrote:When comparing the two pictures, it looks a bit darker in your shot, which does more justice to the color? Or is my Fisher Price computer just have bad lighting? :)

Sam,
The picture was taken without flash whereas I assume Larry's picture is. So that may explain the difference in color appearance.

- Jos

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:07 pm

simply beautiful !! .....

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:19 am

It is hard with my primitive camera and all that gold not to get flash stars and glare. But for now it has to do. Both Lacewoods:

- Jos

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Sorry guys! My first time posting and I don't really know what i'm doing..

I need some advice on a Commemorative Cherry burst I want to buy!
I need to know the going rate roughly of how much they go for so I know i'm not getting ripped off!

Cheers, Jacob