early (80's) SC2 verses Broadcaster sound wise

Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm

how do these two models compare in sound ?? ..... I know my late 2013 SC 2 is no where close to my Broadcaster sound wise , how does the early 80's SC 2 sound compared to a Broadcaster ??

thanks , Eric

Re: early (80's) SC2 verses Broadcaster sound wise

Sat May 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Eric,

The Broadcaster to me sound like a Tele with the ice pick taken out of it: little less highs and better balance over all frequencies. But you can still get that spank and twang people expect from a body shape like that.

The SC-1/2 of the days are like punk guitars. Lots of attitude, seem to want to overdrive your tubes, with a very responsive tone stack. Think 'My Sharona' by The Knack, which for reasons that will be entirely obvious when you play one, is a song I heavily associate with this model …

- Jos

Sat May 17, 2014 7:13 pm

thanks Jos , do they have different wiring , pots and stuff ??...... I thought they were the same pick ups between the two ??.......

Sun May 18, 2014 10:36 am

Fumble fingers wrote:thanks Jos , do they have different wiring , pots and stuff ??...... I thought they were the same pick ups between the two ??.......

Same pickups, not sure about the wiring. Haven't looked under the covers for a direct comparison.

- Jos

Sun May 18, 2014 6:01 pm

I think the 80's SC2's have fewer windings on the PU's than the Broadcaster. I have an SC2 from that era and it seems a little brighter than an ASAT, and a tad weaker in output.

My 2¢

Will

Sun May 18, 2014 7:58 pm

helle-man wrote:I think the 80's SC2's have fewer windings on the PU's than the Broadcaster. I have an SC2 from that era and it seems a little brighter than an ASAT, and a tad weaker in output.

My 2¢

Will

Will,

FWIW, the DC-impedance of my pre-BBE SC-2 pups (as well as the SC-1) are just a bit higher (by about .1kΩ) than for the similar pup on my Broadcasters. So it seems the SC-pups have a few more windings. However, although all these measurements have been taken with volume and tone full open, the only true measurement would be of the pups by themselves. And I believe they were still hand wound in those days so there might be quite some variance.

- Jos

Sun May 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Thanks guy's ..... I'm just blown away by this Broadcaster !! ....... but I'm afraid to take it out of the house :( .... if a early SC 2 sounded the same I was going to go get one to take it out and play ......

maybe I need to look at a early ASAT that is not as valuable as the Broadcaster ??.... what years did ASAT's start sounding different than Broadcasters ??

Jos , do you know the ratio of plastic pg's verses metal pg's on Broadcasters ??.... mine has plastic

Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:Thanks guy's ..... I'm just blown away by this Broadcaster !! ....... but I'm afraid to take it out of the house :( .... if a early SC 2 sounded the same I was going to go get one to take it out and play ......

maybe I need to look at a early ASAT that is not as valuable as the Broadcaster ??.... what years did ASAT's start sounding different than Broadcasters ??

Jos , do you know the ratio of plastic pg's verses metal pg's on Broadcasters ??.... mine has plastic

Eric, if any BCaster you come across has a metal pg then it's either been swapped out or possibly a fake. BCasters and 1986 ASAT's should all come stock with the flat, black plastic guard. A 1987 ASAT would have black pebble metal.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:43 pm

jonc wrote:Eric, if any BCaster you come across has a metal pg then it's either been swapped out or possibly a fake. BCasters and 1986 ASAT's should all come stock with the flat, black plastic guard. A 1987 ASAT would have black pebble metal.

cool !! .... what a bad azz guitar !!