About the 1984 Interceptor 3 SC PUs Guitar

Tue May 13, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi all,
I've just seen an Interceptor in a local store

It's not in perfect conditions, has got some scratches and punches (?), but playability seems perfect and there's no apparent structural issue. It comes with the original hardshell case.
They are asking 500 € (about 680 US$). I've no idea whether it is worth that much, or more, or less AFAIG LOL

Surely you guys are much more expert than me... would you say it would be a good bargain?
I've long looked on the Net for information on the matter, also read about 20 posts on this board, but I can't say I know more than before as far as value for the money goes :)

What I can say is that the sound is extremely brilliant, even with the neck pu. Neck is a bit thick and not really "fast", with medium-size frets.
I'm fascinated by the age... and by Leo Fender myth, and this is basically the only reason I'd buy it, apart from the fact that it looks cool anyway :D

Thanks all for your time!
Last edited by viabcroce on Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: About the 1984 Interceptor 3 SC PUs Guitar

Tue May 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Even with the replacement pickups, it would be worth far, far more than the price you mentioned.

Ken

Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi viabcroce,

What a beauty! I put the size argument in your image tag while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. Here it is:

As noted by Ken, the pups do not look to be original. Are they Seymour Duncans? I checked for you in the Bluebook for a 1st style Interceptor like you show. A Mint one would set you back about $3,200 whereas one in Good condition is still around $1,600. These are US$ of course but you quote a way lower price. I don;t know what you should subtract fro the non-original pups but it seems these people have no idea what they have. So go for it I'd say!

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed May 14, 2014 5:51 am

Thanks guys :)

As I mentioned in my previous post, the pictured guitar is not the item for sale: that's just a similar guitar I found on the Net to better clarify what I was talking about :)

I don't think any part has been swapped on the guitar. AFAIK, it's all original.
But I'll go visit the store again and try and take some pictures :)

I believe you're right anyway, G&Ls have got no success in Italy. They might as well know prices in the US are higher, but local market seems to be different.
I've just posted on the biggest Italian guitar community (Accordo.it) asking for opinions about the Interceptor, and one of the replies was "Horror G&L!" LOL

PS: Jos, special thanks to you for your willingness and your time :D
How can I see the source code for your post so I realize what to type in for the images to show properly in my posts? Or, what's missing in the OP, and where? :)

Wed May 14, 2014 6:47 am

Ciao caro,

viabcroce wrote:How can I see the source code for your post so I realize what to type in for the images to show properly in my posts? Or, what's missing in the OP, and where? :)

Go to my post and hit the small 'Quote' button in the upper right corner. This will open it as if you were going to reply to it but it has the text of the original post in quote tags.

All you were missing was the size argument on the right hand side of the equals sign in the start timage tag (see Tutorial: Posting photos for examples).

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed May 14, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks, just done with some improvement in size :D

PS: Do you happen to speak Italian?! :o

:)

Wed May 14, 2014 11:07 am

viabcroce wrote:Thanks, just done with some improvement in size :D

PS: Do you happen to speak Italian?! :o

Se si aquista un interceptor post alcune foto.
Se non ti prego di farmi sapere dove si trova.
Larry aka HLG

Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Wow, I've to say that I've received more requests for being informed whether I'd buy that guitar or not than opinions about it LOL

No problem Larry, You can go on writing in English :)

I was just curious about Jos writing a sentence in Italian :D

Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 pm

viabcroce wrote:Wow, I've to say that I've received more requests for being informed whether I'd buy that guitar or not than opinions about it LOL

I lived in Cannizzaro at the foot of Mongibello (aka Mt Etna) close to Catania for almost 2 years. My Italian language skills are slowly eroding away but I still know some ;)

- Jos

P.S. Did you buy it already? Did you buy it already? :D

Thu May 15, 2014 2:16 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
viabcroce wrote:Wow, I've to say that I've received more requests for being informed whether I'd buy that guitar or not than opinions about it LOL

I lived in Cannizzaro at the foot of Mongibello (aka Mt Etna) close to Catania for almost 2 years. My Italian language skills are slowly eroding away but I still know some ;)

- Jos

Larry Here.
Please get me the serial number on the guitar.
I can help you verify the guitar you've run across.
Regards
HLG

Thu May 15, 2014 2:20 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:

:D
+1

Thu May 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Ha ha ha thank you guys, you're loveable :D

I've been at the store again today. I've taken some pictures.
Do I understand correctly that, in order to post pics, I have to upload them onto a public space, and can't even link them from Dropbox? Too bad!

Anyway, here's a link to Dropbox for you to see/download them. Please let me know if this works :)

As you can see, the instrument is not as-new, and hasn't got the figured maple top which the item in the OP exhibits (oh well :D).
According to the serial on the back plate, the guitar goes back to 1985.
Apart from the aesthetic defects (grazes on the headstock, the neck/fretboard, the body) playability is good.

What do you think? I believe I could have it for about 600 US$, hardshell case included.

PS: As I PMed to some member here, there's an ad on the biggest music-related classifieds forum in Italy for a similar guitar, but with figured maple top, on private sale for 1400 €. Here's the link should anyone be interested. The seller has not posted any pics tho.
I'm willing to be of help, should anyone want to get to know more or buy it.
As for me, it's by far out of my budget X)

Cheers

Thu May 15, 2014 4:06 pm

you haven't brought that bad boy home yet ??...... what are you waiting for :D shoot him a offer

Thu May 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Ha ha you may be right FF :D

On a more serious note, if (like Jos wrote here above) a figured-top Interceptor in good conditions goes for around 1600 $, I'd like to be sure that 600 $ is a good price for this one, which is not figured nor in good shape :/

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm passionate about guitars and am not pushed by a commercial spirit. It's just that I can't afford to buy things for just the pleasure of owning them... even tho I'd own tents of guitars if I just could X)
IOW, I'd buy it only if it's really worth it. And I should give something else up.
You may have heard that Italy is not experiencing the healthier season of its history lately... and there's still no light at the end of the tunnel :(
[Sorry for the digression... and the rant]

Thanks you all for your emotional participation! :D

Thu May 15, 2014 5:08 pm

I'd buy it knowing it'll only go up in value ...it's definitely undervalued at that price.
(and looks ok condition-wise)

Let me try to post a pic inline :
( I got the picture url address from the "see original image" link and used the 'timage' function to resize it using a 2:3 aspect ratio)

Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 pm

So Larry, what's the scoop on G015713? It is currently not present in the Registry, but if it's legit, it should.

- Jos

Thu May 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks Elwood (BTW, just seen The Blues Brothers last night :D),

yeah, you might be up to something here.

Thanks for posting the image, I knew I could do what you did once I posted the pics on Dropbox... but, TBH, the idea of having to calculate the size reduction for each of the big images was too much for me... Sorry for the laziness :/

And you're right, the top is quite good, but damages show more in other pics (the ones which names begins with "Sbucciatura...").

Also, I have to check it still comes with the original tremolo bar (I've emailed electricstringedinstrument.com to check for the eventual price of a new one).
Apart from this, all the parts seem to be original.

Alais, if I only was a bit healthier this would be a no-brainer for me...

Can anyone tell (or report, or link) something about this instrument sound-wise? I couldn't come across anything meaningful on google...
Weird enough, they seem to talk much more about the Interceptor bass... it seems it's been much more appreciated than it 6-string sister.

Thu May 15, 2014 6:33 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:So Larry, what's the scoop on G015713? It is currently not present in the Registry, but if it's legit, it should.

- Jos

Isn't it supposed to be up to the owner to register the instrument there?

Thu May 15, 2014 6:36 pm

I believe Larry has a build log from the 80's of all G&L's made

Thu May 15, 2014 6:40 pm

viabcroce wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:So Larry, what's the scoop on G015713? It is currently not present in the Registry, but if it's legit, it should.

- Jos

Isn't it supposed to be up to the owner to register the instrument there?

That would be preferred, but not everybody is aware of the Registry and registers their instrument. Remember that this is not the same thing as filling out the Registration Card and sending it to G&L. Our Registry here is a a database that can be searched by anybody. And if you have a login name, you can register instruments even if you do not own them just by checking the proper radio button when you fill out the information. For rare models such as these, it is nice to know about as many as possible.

- Jos

Fri May 16, 2014 2:29 am

Mate , I hate to be the one to tell you this but just buy it or tell all of us where it is available . To me , you just sound like you're flirting with us .
You have to decide to buy this guitar or not . Seriously at that price it's a fantastic guitar for a fantastic price.
Enough said .

Fri May 16, 2014 5:34 am

viabcroce wrote:Can anyone tell (or report, or link) something about this instrument sound-wise? I couldn't come across anything meaningful on google...
Weird enough, they seem to talk much more about the Interceptor bass... it seems it's been much more appreciated than it 6-string sister.

It has the original MFD pickups, so it should sound like any of the other Leo-era guitars that used them (i.e., SC-3, Nighthawk, Skyhawk). Later in the '80s these pickups were also used on the S-500. I have an SC-3, Nighthawk and Skyhawk, and to my ears the pickups nail the classic Strat sound. All of the switch positions sound great. I'm not sure whether the Interceptors used the PTB circiut, but if they did it opens up a broader tonal range than typical Strat controls.

Interceptor Basses do get a bit more attention, but that may just be a matter of more of them having been made. Bass players have a much better chance of finding an Interceptor than guitarists do. All of the Interceptor series in the mid-'80s were other G&L instruments' electronics packaged in pointy bodies for the hard rock/heavy metal customer. The one you are looking at has a Skyhawk's electronics. The Interceptor Bass was an El Toro with a pointy body and sickle headstock. The El Toro is also very much sought after by bass-playing G&L fans.

Ken

Fri May 16, 2014 6:30 am

@ FF & Jos: well, if anybody can register it feel free to do it then! I agree it would be nice to get the most possible complete list of items.
If I ever buy it I'd be able to add further info... is there any limitation in having the record edited by another member once it has been created? If this is the case, we'd better wait for the transaction to be defined :)

@ LeoF: thanks for your feedback dude. If you only knew the feeling about G&Ls here in Italy... The most encouraging comment I've got on Italian forums about the purchase has been "G&L are <censored word>" and "this guitar is horrible".
Yes, Italian electric guitar players are quite bigots, and provincial :/

@ KenC: thanks, you supplied more info than I was able to find on the Net LOL
Wondering whether an email to G&L would come up to something interesting :)

All: well guys, seeing you interest and participation it seems I have nothing left but buying it, it seems... :/

:D

PS: just got an email from Gabe Dellevigne (nice italian name BTW, it means "belonging to the vineyards :)) from electricstringedinstrument.com. The tremolo arm, if missing, would cost 55 $ delivered do Italy.

Fri May 16, 2014 11:33 am

viabcroce wrote: If you only knew the feeling about G&Ls here in Italy... The most encouraging comment I've got on Italian forums about the purchase has been "G&L are <censored word>" and "this guitar is horrible".
Yes, Italian electric guitar players are quite bigots, and provincial :/

your buddies need re-educated ..... Leo wasn't making money in the 80's , he was making highly crafted hand made guitars .... they must be confusing Fender quality control problems from the 70's with G&L of the 80's ??.... two totally different companies

Fri May 16, 2014 12:05 pm

KenC wrote: I'm not sure whether the Interceptors used the PTB circiut, but if they did it opens up a broader tonal range than typical Strat controls.

Just got another email from Gabe Dellevigne. He confirms the Inerceptor uses the PTB control system.

Fri May 16, 2014 12:15 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:your buddies need re-educated ..... Leo wasn't making money in the 80's , he was making highly crafted hand made guitars .... they must be confusing Fender quality control problems from the 70's with G&L of the 80's ??.... two totally different companies

Hey FF, I believe it's the other way round: anything which is not "mainstream" is inferior.
Every time you see a strange, original, or custom-made guitar which doesn't resemble well-established concepts or designs, be sure that in less than 10 posts a genius pops up with a "for that much money I'd rather buy a (strat) (LP) (you name it)".

Another very popular point is "you're going to lose a lot of money when trying to resell it".

Conservative would be a strong understatement

:/

Fri May 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Ciao Gianfranco,

if I've well understood you are not going to buy the Interceptor.
if it's true, could you tell me where you happen to find that beauty (sono italiano, dal Piemonte)?
I'm not a serious expert of guitars, but I strongly agree with the other mates: 500 euros for that is an extremely good bargain.

if you're still interested in, do not tell me where is it...

Ti ringrazio e auguro una buona serata,
Guido

Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi Guido,

nice to meet you :)

Actually, I believe I'm going to buy it. I'll go to the store today to check whether it's still for sale.

OTOH, I've received several PMs with requests to privately notify if I was not going to buy. I'm not sure what would be fair in this regard, I should probably PM back people in the same order they wrote to me?
Really don't know...

Anyway, the only reason why I would not buy it would be it's been already sold, I believe. Or if I found a serious issue with the instrument in my final test.

Sat May 17, 2014 2:04 am

Hi,

Indeed, I have to apologize since the info I asked to Gianfranco should have been asked privately... please pardon me.

However, Gianfranco's story reminds me something happened to me which also shows how G&L are underrated in Italy.
3-4 years ago a student of a friend of mine (a music teacher I was playing in a band with) found in his cellar (yes... I wrote cellar... the place where you put wine, salami, tomato sauce... at least in Italy) a 198? S-500.
She was perfect, apart from a ~3cm scratch on the body.
My friend take her to the luthier and afterwards invites me to test her (I am the only one he knows owning a G&L....): the built quality was superb, the 3 sc where very quite, the PTB system was able to dramatically shape the tone (never tried a ptb before... my asatz3 do not have it) and the dual fulcrum vibrato impressed me (nothing to do with the strat one).
The guy was about to sell her for 600e (~700$); didn't purchase, unfortunately: I bought an LP just one month before, I did not felt the need of another sss guitar and I'm not a fan of vintage frets.

I Guess the interceptor you are going to buy, Gianfranco, is very similar to the 80's s500 I've tried from the point of view of electronics.
you could find several tech tips on how to get the best from her in this site.
I just want to resume you something.
At first you would find her very harshy and edgy (especially if you play alone without a band): try to lower pickups and get familiar with ptb (do not put it all 10!).
Also, use her with hi quality tube amps and do not be afraid to put presence control to 0 and, in any case, to play hugely with equalization.
I think mfd sc are not suited for metal (even if the shape of the interceptor suggest that...) but you can surely find out amazing tones for hard rock.
do not forget to play with her in your band, in my opinion the mfd pu give their best during gigs and their worst in our bedrooms!

Good Luck!
Guido

Sat May 17, 2014 6:06 am

Thanks Guido for your tips :)

Yes, I played the Interceptor for a few minutes in the store and as I reported the sound was extremely brilliant and piercing, even using the neck pu. I had no idea about what a PTB is, and of course knobs were turned all way clockwise LOL
Before buying I'll try it more deeply on a good amp (used a Yamaha THR last time).

And yes, no metalhead here ;)
BTW, I own a Kemper Profiling Amplifier, which is able to sound like (almost) any guitar amp on the planet. I'm sure the two will cope with each other quite well :D

Since we're at that, I'm not sure your open request was unfair or impolite. It's rather that I feel the need to be correct towards those who have asked privately before you :)

I'll let you guys know how it goes, and will post some soundclip with the Kemper in case anyone is interested.

Sat May 17, 2014 8:40 am

- Jos

G015713 is the real deal.
It has a manufacture date of 4-30-84.
I do agree this rarebird needs to be in the registry.
HLG

Sat May 17, 2014 8:57 am

HLG wrote:

- Jos

HLG

Done!

Sat May 17, 2014 9:27 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
HLG wrote:

- Jos

HLG

Done!

Where can I consult the registry?
And, will I be able to add information should I buy it, since I am not the record's author?

Talking about dating, may I ask (just out of curiosity) what procedure did you follow? I had read it's not so easy to tell a G&L's birthday from the S/N, since it seems that
"Serial number does not (and never has) dictated year of production for a pre-BBE G&L. Be weary of what you read on the Web...it is most of the time inaccurate.
Bridges and Neck Plates were piled in a bin and extracted randomly as instruments were built. The only way you can figure out the general production date is by pulling the neck and checking the date codes stamped on the neck and neck pocket of the body. The later of the two will give you an approximate completion date. The actual completion date is linked with the serial number in the production log book".

...Are you maybe the Keeper of the Production Log Book? :D
Last edited by viabcroce on Sat May 17, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 17, 2014 9:35 am

just click on "G&L Registry" and follow the directions ... it asks you if you own it .... you don't have to own it to register it .... many have been registered from just being seen on ebay and such as the last known where-abouts of the guitar .... example : xxx000 Broadcaster seen on ebay 4-18-14 , maple finger board , Kahler trem , ect , ect what ever you know or see on the ebay add

Sat May 17, 2014 10:03 am

Only addition I'd make to Fumble's instruction is that you need a separate User Profile for the Registry. Hit the 'click here' link you find just above the text boxes and then the 'Create Profile' button at the top of the page that is opened. Of course you could use the same credentials as you use for this forum, especially the online handle. Mine is the same in both places but I do use separate passwords. But you would log in with your email instead of your handle.

Also note that since the Interceptor is a so-called Rarebird it has a specially designated page. So if you purchase it and want to add/edit some information, go to that page, and click on your serial number in the list. You will be asked to log in and after that the page for that particular instrument opens. Note that by default the 'Yes, I own it' radio button is checked.

Another useful piece of information, if an instrument is already owned by somebody, any time somebody else makes a change, for example you become the new owner, the original owner will receive an email.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun May 18, 2014 6:09 am

Thanks a lot guys. Nice community here :)

So Dave, if it's true that the S/N is not meaningful for determining the manufacturing date and you have to read the prints on body and neck, may I ask what procedure you followed? Really intrigued X)

PS: Just changed the pic in the OP, to make it more coherent and true to the thread.
@ Jos, feel free to make any change to the post of yours where you linked the original pic :)

Tue May 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Bought it.

Tone pots seem to work differently from how they're supposed to. Maybe someone has just rewired them (usually people seem to not like/understand/cope with the PBT system LOL).
I'll try and post some more about it tomorrow. Very late now here :)

Tue May 20, 2014 6:50 pm

:happy0065: :happy0065:

It's good to know she's found a caring home,
congrats!!

elwood

Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 pm

viabcroce wrote:Bought it.
usually people seem to not like/understand/cope with the PBT system LOL).

I bet the same people would freak out if you took the bass and treble knobs off there amp and wired in "just" a tone control :)

congrats on that Bad Boy !!

Tue May 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Haha thanks guys :D

Tue May 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Congrats Gianfranco :happy0065:

- Jos

Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 am

Thanks Jos :D

Wed May 21, 2014 6:19 am

Molto bene Gianfranco! Bravo! :clap:

Do you get the feeling that if you ever decide to sell it, one post on this forum would probably get you a buyer?? :happy0007:

Wed May 21, 2014 9:30 am

Hey fianoman,

you're probably right LOL
Strange enough, I've suddenly stepped from not having a clue about what an Interceptor is to receiving an offer for buying another one LOL.
Considering buying it, I like its finish better. But the only way for me to buy a second one would be to sell one of the two. If I can do it (the asked price for the second one is by far higher) I'll definitely try and sell one of the two.

Life can be so weird at times, can't it? I'm sure there are a number of you guys who have been loved G&Ls since a lifetime which would kill to own one (more).
But, OTOH, this was kind of (to be) expected, since Italian market for G&Ls is inexistent and more people are just not interested in keeping theirs.

This makes the Market's rules come to my mind. In the place I'm from (South of Italy) there are areas where they waste chestnuts, since there're lots of them and everyone can just pick them in the woods. In Rome, where I live, they cost a lot instead.
A weekly truck would possibly make you rich; but planning the whole commercial business would cost money... and the logistics and taxes would most probably eat up most of the margins. Probably, any ROI would come only after months... So, basically, you need money in order to make money...
So they go on wasting chestnuts in the South, and buying them for a lot in the rest of Italy.

It seems to me the G&L Market may resemble this situation.
A Japanese collector would probably pay 2,000 $ for my Interceptor... Oh well

FYI, I live in a place called "fiano". So I guess I am the original fianoman
ROTFL

Wed May 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Congratulazioni Gianfranco.

just want to add to your post that Italy is full of prejudice on G&L: everyone says they are glassy, lack of personality... almost no one of them tried one seriously.
However, has happened several time that after a gig that some curious guitarist come to me impressed by my asatz3 (tonewise...not only for the silver sparkle);
I think this is relevant because I'm an amateur guitarist playing with amateur band, so nothing special from the point of view of music.

Don't forget to post photos!
Cheers
Guido

Wed May 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Grazie Guido :)

We discussed the Italian attitude towards G&Ls some posts above.
Also, there's a dropbox link for pics. At the time I was mainly trying to present its scratches and defects, but there's a good number of pics anyway.

Fri May 23, 2014 7:41 am

Just realized the other Italian Interceptor I had linked in a previous post has been sold. Did any of you guys take the plunge? :happy0065:

Fri May 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Congratulations!

Great looking guitar and I expect you will fall in love with it!

Sat May 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks dude, appreciate it :D

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Hello all again :)

After almost three years during which the Interceptor has been played no more than 3-4 times, now I need an acoustic guitar.
So I'm about to sell the Interceptor.
It's a pity, because it's quite a rare object here in Italy and I like guitars... but I cannot afford to own too many of them. And discovered I end up using my short-scale, PRS-like HB guitar most of the time (feeling much more at ease with its shorter scale). Another beauty BTW... this is a link to the luthier's page.

Any hint as where the best place to... place my ad would be? I'd gladly skip e-bay and all the usual "charging" places ;) Or, should anyone be interested, I would sell it privately.

Thanks for your support and your time, guys: you've been invaluable when I was trying to collect infos about the instrument, and your genuine passion for G&L shines through.