NGD - SC-3 first version

Mon May 12, 2014 11:42 am

Hey all! I'm new here, and thought I'd get the ball rolling with a NGD. I've been curious about SC-2's for some time, but haven't had any opportunity to try one out. When this SC-3 popped up on my local Craigslist, I figured it was worth checking out. From the info I was able to glean, mostly from this site, it's the first version, which places it as an '82 or '83. I haven't popped the neck yet to verify which, as every time I pick it up, I just want to play it.

The web says these have thin necks, but that's not the case here. This neck feels similar to my 80's AVRI '57 Strat. There are a fair amount of nicks and dents on the body, but the neck is clean with just the fingerboard finish wearing through in a few places. It's definitely been played, but not apparently abused. Plays like a dream really, and I guess you all know how they sound. I wasn't really familiar with how MFD pickups performed (I have a set in an ASAT bass that I picked up a while back, but that's different, eh?). They're so articulate. No matter how much fuzz or other effects you put them through, the note and guitar's character still really ring through.

A couple of odd bits are the accessories that came with the guitar. The case fits the guitar...if it's upside down. If you flip it around, it doesn't quite line up. I'm guessing this is actually a case for a Mustang or similar short scale guitar. I may try modifying it. Anyone have an original SC series case they can show me? Also the whammy bar, while it fits the trem, looks like it's for a lefty! Odd.

Despite originally being attracted to the SC-2, this is a keeper.
:luv:

Re: NGD - SC-3 first version

Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Great score speakerjones! These SC-3 are great guitars. Now about the case: you notice that little piece sticking out of the divider. If the case is for this guitar, it should end up flush with your neck heel. It is basically preventing the guitar from moving side to side. For some of mine, the fit is very snug (and I mean very snug) but that piece can be compressed a bit and with some small effort I am able to get the guitar to seat properly in the case.

So try it, see how much you'll need to compress the little block and you'll know whether this guitar and case were meant to be or not.

The arm is non-original. The SC-3 of those days had a plastic handle at the end of the arm. You can get a fantastic replica at ESI if you are inclined to 'fix' that omission.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Great score speakerjones! These SC-3 are great guitars. Now about the case: you notice that little piece sticking out of the divider. If the case is for this guitar, it should end up flush with your neck heel. It is basically preventing the guitar from moving side to side. For some of mine, the fit is very snug (and I mean very snug) but that piece can be compressed a bit and with some small effort I am able to get the guitar to seat properly in the case.

So try it, see how much you'll need to compress the little block and you'll know whether this guitar and case were meant to be or not.

The arm is non-original. The SC-3 of those days had a plastic handle at the end of the arm.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Very helpful Jos! Thanks for the reply. I'll give the case another try. It seems like that block is off by at least an inch, but maybe I can squish it. I was thinking of just cutting it down and re-gluing the fabric, but maybe it just needs some finesse.

As for the trem arm, I understand that this trem design has been used throughout G&L's history. Has the arm stayed the same? Going to do some hunting here and on ebay, but if they're still the same, would G&L sell me one direct, you think?

Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm

sweet guitar !! ... ESI has the correct trem arm , he gave you a link in Jos's post

Mon May 12, 2014 12:19 pm

speakerjones wrote:As for the trem arm, I understand that this trem design has been used throughout G&L's history. Has the arm stayed the same? Going to do some hunting here and on ebay, but if they're still the same, would G&L sell me one direct, you think?

The short answer, no the arm has not stayed the same. Initially, the both arm and socket were threaded (as I have on my 1980 F-100). Then they changed to unthreaded socket and arm, but still with the plastic tip on the handle. The arm you have was introduced sometime during 1987 and then the dimension changed from Imperial to SI in 2006.

Here are some helpful links in the Knowledgebase:
I need a tremolo arm, do you know where I can get one?
What is the '05 to '06 Bridge and Trem arm differences?

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon May 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Here's a shot of my SC-1 in the case. I believe it should be the same for all the first body style SC guitars.

Here are some shots from the gallery. Notice the exterior has sharp square corners--not rounded.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... alNumber=7

Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 pm

speakerjones wrote:Hey all! I'm new here, and thought I'd get the ball rolling with a NGD. I've been curious about SC-2's for some time, but haven't had any opportunity to try one out. When this SC-3 popped up on my local Craigslist, I figured it was worth checking out. From the info I was able to glean, mostly from this site, it's the first version, which places it as an '82 or '83.

Welcome! You certainly started off your G&L experience with one of the best guitars out there. IMHO, the '82-'83 SC series were Leo Fender's ultimate guitars. Yours is definitely the "first style" ('82-'83 production).

speakerjones wrote:I haven't popped the neck yet to verify which, as every time I pick it up, I just want to play it.

I'm right there with you. I pulled an SC-1 out to get photos of the case (see below), and fell right back in love with it. It is going to be at the top of the rotation for a while!

One word of caution - be very careful removing the neck, as the fit can be extremely tight. I learned the hard way that it is necessary to work the edge of a razor blade between the finish and the neck first, to prevent paint chips from adhering to the neck when it comes off.

speakerjones wrote:The web says these have thin necks, but that's not the case here.

Remember that these were all 100% hand-built. I currently have five first-style SC-series guitars and three basses, and the necks are all slightly different. Some feel super-thin, and others approach a chunky feel.

speakerjones wrote:Anyone have an original SC series case they can show me?

I have construction work going on and can't get to all of my cases right now, but I was able to check both of my SC-1s. Both are in original cases for the SC-series. One is in a case with dark blue lining, and while it fits snugly it is not overly tight. I could easily slide a piece of paper between the guitar and the case. The other one is in a case like yours, with orange lining. It actually crushes the foam in order to fit in there. It's so snug that I wouldn't be able to work an index card between the body and the case lining. It's hard to describe, but here are a couple of photos showing how it looks in the case:

With the guitar removed, you can see how the body has left indentations in the foam:

I just noticed while taking these pictures that although the case was definitely from the SC-series in '82 or '83, it is not the original case for this guitar. The case has marks from a DFV cavity cover, but this SC-1 is a hardtail. FWIW, I put the SC-3 from my avatar in it and had the exact same fit as with the SC-1.

Ken

Sun May 18, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks so much for the great info, all. You've been very helpful. The case does fit after compressing the rear bit of curved foam. And I think I'll be ordering one of those repro trem arms.

Ken, that SC-1 is gorgeous.

I'm officially hooked.