'80 L-1000 Broken Truss Rod

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:44 am

I have a L-1000 neck that is in perferct condition with a outstanding ebony board. The only prob , the truss rod had been broken before I got the bass. One point of concern, the previous owner left the string tension on the neck, their was a silly amount of relief when I got the bass. The worry is the string tension may have permently warped or twisted the neck.?
Ive been wondering if there's anything that can be done to save this neck, is it fire wood, or possiably still fret wood?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: '80 L-1000 Broken Truss Rod

Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:04 pm

Contact Michael Dolan. Excellent, well-respected luthier in Santa Rosa, CA.

Ken...

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:45 pm

fretwear wrote:I have a L-1000 neck that is in perferct condition with a outstanding ebony board. The only prob , the truss rod had been broken before I got the bass. One point of concern, the previous owner left the string tension on the neck, their was a silly amount of relief when I got the bass. The worry is the string tension may have permently warped or twisted the neck.?
Ive been wondering if there's anything that can be done to save this neck, is it fire wood, or possiably still fret wood?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Have it checked by a good luthier or repair shop. All necks will warp like crazy under tension with no working rod.
This is rarely permanent if it is not twisted and even that can be heat treated in many cases.
Whether the rod is broken or just stripped and where it is broken can have a big impact on the cost and possible fixes for the neck. Good luck.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:05 pm

+1 for Dolan.. he worked some magic on a G&L neck for me once. Good guy and he knows G&L repairs.